Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Attitude Custom

TheButler

Hey folks,

A chance at a Yamaha Attitude custom (the one with the woofer pup under the PG and the piezo transducers in the bridge) has came up and at a really low price ( £300 ) :huh:

I am wanting opinions on these basses pretty quickly if possible :) How does it differ from the other variants ? I believe it doesn't have scalloped upper frets, what else does it lack when compared to the other models ?

Thanks for any help :huh:

Jamie

bah! don't buy it! they're RUBBISH!!!!! :)

not really - but I want it!! got my eye on one on a US website but not sure about all the importing etc.

anyways - I've got 2 attitudes - a LTD 1 and a Special and they're both very nice. The LTD 1 has a very wide neck which some people might struggle with. All the others in the range aren't so bad though.

From the Attitude manual the Custom is as follows:

Neck: Maple
Fingerboard: Maple
Body: Alder
Scale length: 33 and 7 eighths (860mm)
Nut Width: 43mm
Fingerboard radius: 10" (r250mm)
Nut: Bone
Frets: Dunlop #6100
Bridge: BPZ-4
Pickups [b]not[/b] Dimarzio.

you're right - no scalloped frets and not sure if it has the D-tuner either...

and theres a switch on the back of the body for independent/mix output for the pickups.

seriously, if you don't get it let me know as i will!

peace

c

Edited by 3V17C

[quote name='3V17C' post='84344' date='Nov 6 2007, 09:34 AM']Its a [i]slightly[/i] inferior model to the Attitude LTD as it hasn't got the scallops, d-tuner and dimarzios but its by no means an inferior bass. £300 is a very good price - i would buy it straight away![/quote]

2 of the 3 are upgradeable anyway, and scallops don't rock my boat anyway, so for £300 hav' it!

[quote name='lwtait' post='85025' date='Nov 7 2007, 05:37 PM']what are scalloped frets?[/quote]

Basically, you know how the wood inbetween frets is flat on a normal fretboard?

On a scalloped one it isn't, they make a shallow U shape in the fretboard between the frets, allows for better bending and other techniques. Yngwie Malmsteen is problably the most famous user of them (he's a guitarist, a bloody good one though), but Sheehan likes them on the top few frets for some reason.

Google for images of scalloped frets or Yngwie's Start/Sheehan's Attitude and you'll understand.

I've got a Yamaha catalogue from 91/92 with the various Attitude models in it- I'd be interested in what that custom sounds like with the piezo in the bridge.
the custom is listed as having a Dimarzio woofer, but unnamed P pickup.

I'd like to find an Attitude five string which was PJ config.

there was also an Attitude deluxe with a 6-coil pickup (3 X split coils) in place of the P.

[quote name='Buzz' post='85135' date='Nov 7 2007, 09:21 PM']Basically, you know how the wood inbetween frets is flat on a normal fretboard?

On a scalloped one it isn't, they make a shallow U shape in the fretboard between the frets, allows for better bending and other techniques. Yngwie Malmsteen is problably the most famous user of them (he's a guitarist, a bloody good one though), but Sheehan likes them on the top few frets for some reason.

Google for images of scalloped frets or Yngwie's Start/Sheehan's Attitude and you'll understand.[/quote]

yeah, just googled it. i see what it is, but i cant imagine it being anymore comfortable.

EDIT: by the way, SJA, is there an attitude four string with a PJ config? dont they normally just have a P?

Edited by lwtait

[quote name='lwtait' post='85518' date='Nov 8 2007, 04:15 PM']yeah, just googled it. i see what it is, but i cant imagine it being anymore comfortable.

EDIT: by the way, SJA, is there an attitude four string with a PJ config? dont they normally just have a P?[/quote]

yep, there was, it was the Attitude Standard (discontinued)
the standard 4 and 5 had a blade-style 3 way pickup selector, single mono output.

[quote name='lwtait' post='85518' date='Nov 8 2007, 04:15 PM']yeah, just googled it. i see what it is, but i cant imagine it being anymore comfortable.

EDIT: by the way, SJA, is there an attitude four string with a PJ config? dont they normally just have a P?[/quote]

I think the Attitude generally has a P in the normal P-bass centre position with a Gibson style humbucker in the neck position - although the neck PUP is hidden under a pearl cover matching the pickguard.