Why become a member? ×

Voltage conversion - Ampeg

Hi there folks, this is my first post here, please be gentle! :)

I've just bought an Ampeg SVT-6 Pro amp from the US on ebay. It's set up on the 120 volt US system, sp I'll have to make it suitable for the UK's 220 volts. One option is to buy a voltage converter unit. However, the US shop recommended that the safest option is to get an Ampeg authorised/qualified technician to change the amp's voltage.

I'm based in Wiltshire - can anyone recommend a technician and give me a rough idea of cost? Also, is there any reason why a voltage converter unit might not be a good option?

Thanks!

Steve

I use a 4PRO with a step-up transformer with no problems at all. It can be a nuisance to carry around at times, one extra piece of equipment at a gig, but it doesn't really bother me when it's plugged in and I let her rip!

I was considering voltage conversion myself though - the main UK dealer and repairer for Ampeg amps is [url="http://www.panicmusic.co.uk/"]Panic Music[/url], they're based in Cambridge. If I were going to have the voltage changed, I wouldn't look past them really.

Hope this helps!

Danny

[quote name='acidbass' post='7305' date='May 26 2007, 08:45 PM']I use a 4PRO with a step-up transformer with no problems at all. It can be a nuisance to carry around at times, one extra piece of equipment at a gig, but it doesn't really bother me when it's plugged in and I let her rip!

I was considering voltage conversion myself though - the main UK dealer and repairer for Ampeg amps is [url="http://www.panicmusic.co.uk/"]Panic Music[/url], they're based in Cambridge. If I were going to have the voltage changed, I wouldn't look past them really.

Hope this helps!

Danny[/quote]

Hi Danny, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='7360' date='May 26 2007, 10:25 PM']Actually if you've bought a US Ampeg and you're going to want to run it off UK mains you'll need a STEP-DOWN transformer 240V - 110V. Make sure you get one that has sufficient rating to handle you're amp running at full tilt and then some.[/quote]

Thanks for your replies folks. Can anyone recommend a quality step down transformer that handles up to 1500 watts?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by mildmanofrock

I have a 4PRO that was converted by Mike at Panic (very handy as I live very near him). I agree that he does not recommend using a step down transformer for a number of reasons - if you want the reasons then give him a bell, but I trust his advice.

The transformer you have in the 6PRO *should* be multitap, which means you don't need a new transformer, but if it's anything like my 4PRO, then there is some changes needed to the internal circuit breaker also. Gonna cost you about £120 or so, but better and safer than carrying around a great weight of a transformer.

Bear in mind they are extremely busy so don't expect a quick turn around unless you can deliver and collect yourself. Ask Toasted..;-)

[quote name='Muppet' post='8576' date='May 29 2007, 01:15 PM']Bear in mind they are extremely busy so don't expect a quick turn around unless you can deliver and collect yourself. Ask Toasted..;-)[/quote]

Thanks - do you know roughly how long it will take?

I rewired my B4r myself, it was a very easy job. Just a case of moving a few crimp connectors. I did have an ampeg technician to tell me which ones to move to where though.

The point is that I didn't have to use another transformer, basically by me rewiring it in parallel instead of series (or vica versa) it took 240v instead of 110v.

Don't have a clue about the Pro 6. But you never know.

Step down transformers would need to be rated at more than the wattage of the amp itself, so with the amp in question you're talking at least 1100VA. And they aren't exactly cheap. It'll get very hot as well.

Edit: Muppet it cost you £120! Jeesus, that's alot for labour. I changed the circuit breaker and a few fuses as advised, parts totaled around £8 or something. It was then a 5 minute job to swap the connections. I wouldn't do it if the amp had a warranty, but if you're importing the amp you're not going to have a warranty anyway.

Edited by Spikyhedgehog

Fair point Spiky and I know it was a lot (was less than £100 but I'm adding a bit on for inflation) but there was no way I was going to muck around inside the amp when I had no idea what was going on in there and I now have a warranty from Panic for the conversion. Better safe than sorry for me when dealing with these sorts of things.

[quote name='Muppet' post='8829' date='May 29 2007, 09:24 PM']Fair point Spiky and I know it was a lot (was less than £100 but I'm adding a bit on for inflation) but there was no way I was going to muck around inside the amp when I had no idea what was going on in there and[b] I now have a warranty from Panic for the conversion[/b]. Better safe than sorry for me when dealing with these sorts of things.[/quote]

Well that's more than fair enough then! :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='7360' date='May 26 2007, 10:25 PM']Actually if you've bought a US Ampeg and you're going to want to run it off UK mains you'll need a STEP-DOWN transformer 240V - 110V.[/quote]

Ah yes, my mistake! I always looked at it the other way round for some reason....ie the head is 'stepping up' to meet the voltage of the UK grid - not sure why I ever thought this? :)

IMPORTANT !

If the US amp has a "hum cancelling switch" on it then this MUST be disconnected from the circuit, as using this switch while connected to a UK or European mains supply (even through a step-down transformer) can make the amp dangerous.

[quote name='BOD2' post='10508' date='Jun 1 2007, 01:24 PM']IMPORTANT !

If the US amp has a "hum cancelling switch" on it then this MUST be disconnected from the circuit, as using this switch while connected to a UK or European mains supply (even through a step-down transformer) can make the amp dangerous.[/quote]

Is this true of all hum cancelling switches on US amps? Do they just cut the earth thingy?

[quote name='The Funk' post='11936' date='Jun 4 2007, 05:27 PM']Is this true of all hum cancelling switches on US amps? Do they just cut the earth thingy?[/quote]

Yes. You need to be very careful with this type of thing as the UK mains supply is different to the US one and this feature (which is more likely to be a feature of US spec vintage amps) can make the equipment unsafe.

The problem is that rather than "cutting" the earth the supply the switch can actually connect the earth directly to the positive or negative phase of the mains supply, which reduces hum on a 110V US supply but is potentially dangerous on a European supply.

If in any doubt then check with a service engineer or ask the manufacturer.

Note that this is not the same as a "Ground Lift" switch that is often fitted to outboard rackmount PA equipment (e.g equalisers, compressors etc.). A "Ground Lift" switch operates on the signal cables and not the mains supply so is perfectly safe

[quote name='Muppet' post='8576' date='May 29 2007, 01:15 PM']I have a 4PRO that was converted by Mike at Panic (very handy as I live very near him). I agree that he does not recommend using a step down transformer for a number of reasons - if you want the reasons then give him a bell, but I trust his advice.

The transformer you have in the 6PRO *should* be multitap, which means you don't need a new transformer, but if it's anything like my 4PRO, then there is some changes needed to the internal circuit breaker also. Gonna cost you about £120 or so, but better and safer than carrying around a great weight of a transformer.[/quote]

I also have an Ampeg SVT 4Pro, which I bought from the United States, and I used a transformer for a while but carrying it around was a nightmare, it was quite heavy! It's ok if you do not go out and play often but not if you gig or rehearse with your band quite regularly...I ended up having it converted by Mike at Panic Music a while ago.
Sure it's going to cost you a bit more money than buying a transformer but most of the Ampeg amps use the Multitap system and they are ready to be converted into new voltage.
Apart from having to carry the transformer everywhere they are not a 100% reliable and it something goes wrong with it you'll endup frying the power amp section and that repair is really expensive!

I would highly recommend you to spend a bit more money convert the amp instead of using a transformer, it's worht every penny... Panic Music are an Authorized Ampeg Technichal Service and they are very good, they did mine in 8 days and I haven't had any problems at all and it something goes wrong it's under warranty.

Give them a call and speak to Mike.