Why become a member? ×

Fender highway one precision

16Again

I'm thinking of getting a new bass (again!) and have my eyes on a highway one fender p bass.
Any of you guys played one? I can get a new 3 tone sunburst for £500.
Are they american made? cause i thought american p basses cost over a grand!

Reason i'm getting another bass is i've just joined a tribute band to The Ruts and the highway one looks nice and 70's looking!
ha ha, the wife isnt happy about it :huh: :)

I have a HW1 (2004, first series) Precision and it´s my main bass. Great sound, superb craftsmanship (certainly above most US Fenders I ´ve seen), killer neck - nothing not to like.

I´ve played updated HWs and they were brilliant as well.

The finish is considered the weak point by some - the coating is rather thin and supposed to wear quickly. I don´t notice anything on mine, but then I´m taking good care of my instruments. :)

Get one......

If you like P basses you will love 'em!

No I dont own one but I have played one, and is it as good as my MIA Custom shop P...... Pretty darn close!

Be aware its finished in thin cellulose that will wear and chip very quickly..... (thats what its intended to do!)

If they bring out a black one with a Maple neck I'll be amongst the 1st to order it...

I have just ordered one in black from Thomann's. It will be here on Thursday.
I originally got a MIM 50's classic but i didn't like the neck (or just didnt get used to it) and the HB colour just want me so thats going back and im going to use the HW-One as my main bass.
I have a HW1 Jazz and really like it although i dont like the Jazz sound as much as a p-bass.
I almost went for a Lakland BG as that has a maple neck/fingerboard but the neck is almost the same as the MIM. and its almost £300 more (and thats without a gig bag).
I believe they are put together in the corona factory in the states but some of the parts like the bodies come from elsewhere so they aren't strictly 100% MIA but who cares if they play and sound well.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='84472' date='Nov 6 2007, 04:46 PM']I believe they are put together in the corona factory in the states but some of the parts like the bodies come from elsewhere so they aren't strictly 100% MIA but who cares if they play and sound well.[/quote]
From what has been posted by the Fender experts on Talkbass, all the Fender bodies and necks are actually manufactured in the US. Those for the MIM instruments are shipped across the border and assembled and finished there. HW1s are 100% MIA, with less options and cheaper hardware than the Standard series.

I know for sure the HW1's were only assembled in the USA, might be different for the HW-ones though. Ive been out of touch with Fender for a while so ill believe what ever anyone tells me ;-)

Regarding your other post in my P bass thread, i didnt mean to put the HW-one down. Its just all the talk of the CIJ/MIJ's around at the moment seems to make the HW's a bit of a second choice. As it is i expect great things from mine. I love my Jazz and it felt the best in the shop when i got it and that was against the MIA's etc. I was going to look for a HW1 but after reading about the new necks and the chance of less dead spots i thought the HW-one would be a better choice. also as i put a BAII on my Jazz and would do the same i guess i save a bit of money.
Ive been playing my MIm over the last couple of days and getting used to the wider neck (or string spacing) but im hoping the HW-one neck will be a bit easier to play.
Just sitting here now waiting for the UPS guy. ive got to get back to work soon though so i might miss him :-(

Edited by dave_bass5

I think the Highway One should be a pretty good buy (as long as you get it set up well.) For the money, a USA build & badass II with the graphite poled neck must be value. But I'd always go for the Japanese Fenders. I'm still astounded by my Geddy Lee Jazz. I've never been a committed Fender player but I'm rarely putting this one down!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='85368' date='Nov 8 2007, 01:02 PM']Ive been out of touch with Fender for a while so ill believe what ever anyone tells me ;-)[/quote]
According to some, it doesn´t matter whether it´s MIM or MIA - the craftsmen will be Mexicans anyway. :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='85368' date='Nov 8 2007, 01:02 PM']im hoping the HW-one neck will be a bit easier to play.[/quote]
For sure.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='85368' date='Nov 8 2007, 12:02 PM']Just sitting here now waiting for the UPS guy. ive got to get back to work soon though so i might miss him :-([/quote]

Thats mine ordered now from Thomann :)

Let us know what you think of yours when you get it dave!

[quote name='16Again' post='85508' date='Nov 8 2007, 06:02 PM']Thats mine ordered now from Thomann :huh:

Let us know what you think of yours when you get it dave![/quote]

what colour did you go for?

Mines not bloody turned up yet. Got a feeling it wont. Spoke to UPS and they couldn't figure out why its not here as its out on the van and they are looking in to it.
might get it tomorrow although the guy did say they work late in central London. I wont hold my breath.

:)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='85617' date='Nov 8 2007, 06:55 PM']what colour did you go for?

Mines not bloody turned up yet. Got a feeling it wont. Spoke to UPS and they couldn't figure out why its not here as its out on the van and they are looking in to it.
might get it tomorrow although the guy did say they work late in central London. I wont hold my breath.

:)[/quote]

i hate it when that happens!
i hope it turns up today.

i ordered the 3 tone sunburst, i usually go for black but really like the look of the 3ts.

[quote name='16Again' post='85778' date='Nov 9 2007, 10:31 AM']i hate it when that happens!
i hope it turns up today.

i ordered the 3 tone sunburst, i usually go for black but really like the look of the 3ts.[/quote]

Bloody UPS.
After two phone calls and ranting down the phone it turns out there was no real reason for it not to be delivered yesterday but i was toldt if the driver has too many next day deliveries he might not have gotten around to mine. lazy F. Had a call this morning and it will be here this afternoon (apparently). This is all down to Thomonns though. As i was clicking on deliver to another address as i normally do the website just changed to "your order has been placed". so i couldn't change the address, couldn't even get access to the order to see where it was going and when i emailed them (not allowed to phone outside the UK here) it took over a day for them to respond, and that was after i had received an email telling me it was shipped.
Oh well, rant over and feeling better. Im sure it will be worth the wait. and if it doesn't turn up today ill just take the 50's classic thats waiting to go back to Thomann to the gig tomorrow. Sod em.
Im sure you wont have the same problems. I was tempted to go for the SB but like you i normally go for black and the flat black looks really good (to me), not to keen on glossy black but this looks good. ill get a black scratch plate for it though as i dont like the white.

Edited by dave_bass5

Ok, after cooling off and having a fantastic gig at the weekend where we were supported by a groupd of Can can dancers (oh no, and only one changing room ;-) the bass just arrived at work.
all i can say is FANTASTIC. Im really glad i decided to change. The neck is much more like my Jazz neck. Maybe its because they are both Rosewood and so its a placebo effect combined with the slightly narrower nut but i felt right at home with it from the moment i picked it up. And the set up is spot on, at least, i didnt feel it needs changing right away. Im at work so cant plug it in until tonight (and even then it will be PC-headphones until Sat)but one thing i notice is that its not as loud acoustically as the MIM. I dont know if thats a good or bad thing. It might even be down to the strings as they dont sound as fresh or zingy as the ones on the MIM but thats no big deal.
Looks wise i love it. Its plain black but as its a flat (dull) black it looks nice and is begging for a black scratch plate although the one it comes with is off white 3 layer W/B/W so it looks a bit vintage. might go with that for a while.
finish is very good. the neck pocket is fine and there are no marks or rough edges.
The gig bag it comes with seems to be the same as the one with the MIM but this one has a brass type of Fender badge as opposed to the vinyl/plastic one on the MIM's bag. Not as nice IMO but thats not really a complaint.
All in all im happy as long as it works when i [lug it in ;-

EDIT: Just found a bag containing a Fender cleaning cloth, small Allen key for the BAII adjustments and a long one with a handle for the truss rod. also a book on caring for the finish of the bass. Nice touch.

Edited by dave_bass5

Mmmh, tuxedo. Classy.

I´ve seen that black/white/rosewood combo played by Dave Holland with Miles, Stu Zender with Jamiroquai and Scott Thunes with Zappa. White pickguards are underrated IMO. :)

Congrats on the new bass - the MIM Classics are cool, but I´m sure you´ll be happier with the HW1 in the long run.

Thanks.
I like the fact that the white is off white. not bright white like my old Jazz. Think ill keep it like that for a while.
It plays much better than the MIM but i did love the look and finish of the neck on the MIM, just not the width and depth.
To me the HW feels similar to my Lakland and thats a good thing in my book.
i have never liked sunburst finishes or plain black but the matt finish makes this look different IMO.

Glad i have it and cant wait till Sat's gig. might try and get the band to do some Queen, Lizzy and Pink floyd ;-)