Buying your first bass....

71 replies to this topic

#31 LiamPodmore

Ummm..... I play bass?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:Anything that sounds good, and some things that don't. Oh, and those computer things, i like them too.

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

The Ibanez GSR200 is a brilliant bass for the money (I payed £150 in '07 for mine) especially for someone just starting out on bass, so i recommend one of those, but as always, go and play some basses in your budget and pick which one feels and sounds best to you.

Liam

View Postxreporter2004, on Dec 22 2010, 06:51 PM, said:

Hello,

Everything I read so far were really helpful. I used to play guitar a few years ago and i have an acoustic bass as well but I haven't played for a few years and I want to buy an electric bass and start from the beginning again.

I've done a lot of research on basses on the internet but I haven't been in a shop yet ( which i will do soon).

My budget is 200 pounds. Any recommendations for a new or used bass.

I've also seen a few interesting models :

Tanglewood 4PB/4 ST
Ibanez GSR180, GSR 200JB, RBX170
Yamaha RBX170,RBX270J
Peavy millenium 4BXP
Washburn T14 CG,XB 120TR

If you have any knowledge on these instruments please make a comment or please tell me your thoughts.

Thanks

Instruments:
1986 Fender MIJ Precision|2010 Fender Squier Jazz Bass Deluxe V|2007 Ibanez GSR200|Yamaha FJX720SC|
Amps:
Warwick ProFet 5.1|Gear4Music 25B|
Effects/Pedals:
Boss TU-2|MXR M80|Marshall JH-1|Pedaltrain Nano|
Random Stuff:
AudioSpares & Control Cables|Elixir Strings|Fender & Dunlop Straps|

My Photography: Facebook Flickr

#32 xreporter2004

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:36 PM

View PostLiamPodmore, on Dec 22 2010, 07:08 PM, said:

The Ibanez GSR200 is a brilliant bass for the money (I payed £150 in '07 for mine) especially for someone just starting out on bass, so i recommend one of those, but as always, go and play some basses in your budget and pick which one feels and sounds best to you.

Liam

thanks for advise .I'll tell you what i think as soon as i play it

#33 The Burpster

Schrödinger's catfood........

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Interests:Bass, Bikes, Guns, Golf....using every 24 hours wisely!

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

The Ibanez and Yamahas on your list are really good also consider the Squire Vinatge Modified range too as there is some peaches ni that range too!
Every day you wake up is a good day!

Bob

#34 killswitch2011

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

View PostLiamPodmore, on Dec 22 2010, 08:08 PM, said:

Liam

Totally agree.When I started looking a few months ago, this was my first choice by far, until I found my Washburn.
The rest of your advice makes complete sense as well :)

#35 Immo

Haters gonna hate, writers gonna write.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:Err... Basses?
    Plus writing, fantasy/S-F, video games & game design, gas guzzlers & kustom kulture, LEGO, cooking and whole lotta' other stuff, too.

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

Couple of things I always say to the one who wants to buy his (her) 1st bass should be a handful short guide (just wanted to write something REALLY short, but - as usual - it ended up as a small book :D) and it may add some freshness to this topic:
  • Listen to several samples of most popular kinds of basses (P, J, MM etc.) to determine what sound you like the most. I think even the biggest 'newbie' would hear the difference (even my half-deaf grandfather had to admit that EB-3 setup sounds much different than Traben's two soapbars); checking the gear of a favourite bass player is good idea as well
  • Think about what music you'd like to play. It's no point buying active six string fretless bass for punk rock.
  • Be sure you'd be comfortable with an instrument. Check the reach of your left (if you are right handed) arm in the nearest guitar store. Maybe you'd like to begin with short scale bass. Check if you are feeling comfortable with the width of fretboard (e.g. my fingers tend to 'wrap' around SVM JB's neck and I find it really hard to play this bass); if you are 5'2" girl, don't buy a big and heavy bass like T-40 just because it is a really cool instrument.
  • Generally, don't buy something just because it's cool. It's nice to have the aforementioned active 6 string fretless, but does it really have sense to start with heavy artillery like that? Try simple stuff first. If you are impatient person who tends to quickly get disappointed, playing active, extremely sensitive bass (which would obnoxiously expose your every mistake) may not motivate you to improve your skills but even discourage you to play any longer.
  • Check the opinions about the gear you like to buy carefully and - if buying online - try to find somewhere a similar instrument you can check personally. Check pros and cons.
  • Read forums a lot to find basses that are quite inexpensive but really good for the money or even far beyond.
  • Do not buy extra-cheap, budget instruments - there's more harm to it than benefits!
  • But always look for a good occasion anyway. You'll never know what you can find in pawn shops, local sites, old friend's basement etc.; always try - as mentioned before in this thread - to get a bargain or discount. Finding something utterly cool for less quid is extremely satisfying.
  • Last but not least (I'd even say it's the MOST IMPORTANT!): don't buy new instrument. Always go for used gear (especially late 70's-early 90's Japanese stuff ;)):
  • it's cheaper
  • it's been used and if it would broke, it would have broke already
  • some agree that the quality was better some time ago than it is today
  • it's probably already dented a bit, so you won't cry about your first scratch (and believe me, it DOES hurt!)
  • it has so much spirit to it :D

Edited by Immo, 22 December 2011 - 05:48 PM.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. Read carefully. May contain traces of nuts.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
BASSES: Custom Fender/Squier 70's Telecaster Bass || 93' MiJ Custom Fender P-Bass || 83' Peavey T-40 || 90's Immo Custom Shop/Encore TwinSplit P-Bass MiI
AMPS: 82' Sunn SB160 combo
EFFECTS: DigiTech BASS SYNTH WAH synth envelope filter || EHX Nano BassBalls envelope follower || Polish Love & Hate overdrive & fuzz duo || Artec SE-ADL analogue delay
TALENT: none whatsoever

'When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.' - C.S. Lewis

#36 Poldo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

Hi folks

Many of you may have read 1000 posts like this one, so please be merciful!

I just joined this forum because I want to learn playing bass guitar. In my life I have played other instruments (electric guitar, computer/sampler music and more than enything else african percussions)... but bass guitar has always been in my dreams. I haven't read all the posts on this topic, but I have already read loads of good advices....

As I am just starting and I will not be playing live for a long time, at this stage I'm not that fussed about the amp (I think I just need something to plug some earphones in for the moment), but I'd like to make a kind of shortlist of bass guitars to try/buy.

The question is:
Does anybody have some particular bass guitar for reggae and dub to recommend? That's what I want to play. My budget is up to £300 (preferably much less, of course), and I don't mind 2nd hand at all

I'd like to play roots reggae and 60s / 70s dub (Robbie Shakespeare is of course one of my favs)

Thanks a lot!

#37 Immo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
    Plus writing, fantasy/S-F, video games & game design, gas guzzlers & kustom kulture, LEGO, cooking and whole lotta' other stuff, too.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

You'd probably need a lot of thump, so, from my perspective, Squier Vintage Modified 70's TB will be great.
Posted Image
Otherwise, try to find a Japanese copy of EB-0 or EB-3 bass, something like this:
Posted Image
Sholudn't be too hard :)
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. Read carefully. May contain traces of nuts.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
BASSES: Custom Fender/Squier 70's Telecaster Bass || 93' MiJ Custom Fender P-Bass || 83' Peavey T-40 || 90's Immo Custom Shop/Encore TwinSplit P-Bass MiI
EFFECTS: DigiTech BASS SYNTH WAH synth envelope filter || EHX Nano BassBalls envelope follower || Polish Love & Hate overdrive & fuzz duo || Artec SE-ADL analogue delay

'When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.' - C.S. Lewis

#38 Poldo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

Thanks a lot!

#39 Poldo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:38 PM

View PostImmo, on 30 December 2011 - 12:29 PM, said:

You'd probably need a lot of thump, so, from my perspective, Squier Vintage Modified 70's TB will be great.

Could you please explain to a newbie what do you mean by "a lot of thump? :D

#40 Immo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

I meant low-end, deep and somewhat muddy, yet punchy sound. :)

Edited by Immo, 30 December 2011 - 03:00 PM.

#41 phil moore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:music and more music Making bass guitars.

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

My first bass was a budget yamaha and from time to time I still check these out in shops.( amongst many others of course) I find them well set up out of the box so to speak and very playable for a starter bass.I guess it depends on the shop but most basses need some attention after travelling across the world and some of the budget basses are just not given enough to make them playable. You only really appreciate this as you get better as a player and of course thats one reason to want to buy a better bass.
A good shop should put the effort into doing the best set up they can even on the cheaper basses so as a starter you have a better chance of getting a lot back from playing and hopefully enjoying yourself more.

#42 EmmettC

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Interests:Motorbikes and Basses

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:51 PM

My first bass was a really nice headless Hohner (licensed by steinberger), but being 15 I was really embarrased by it and I swapped it for an Encore. That was horrible, and a big mistake, it made me almost give up on Bass, if my parents hadn't bought me an Aria Pro2 for my 16th, I'd probably never have learned to play well (or at least reasonably :P ).

I think used basses are far better value, but then if you don't know what you're buying it can be a big risk. If anyone in the Edinburgh area is thinking about a used first bass and wants some advice, or someone to check out the bass feel free to PM me. I just remember how difficult I found it when I was starting, and I ended up with a good bass mostly by chance.
Amps: EBS HD350, EBS Proline 4x10
Basses: Fender '72 Precision, '81 Ibanez Roadster fretless, Squier bronco, Chris Larkin fretless acoustic, Musicman Stingray 5, Sandberg TM5

#43 Poldo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

I have been around quite a few shops last week end and yesterday I made my decision: I got an Ovation Magnum 4, like this one (mine is in slightly worse conditions, but it's just aesthetic):

http://www.ovationga...ebassmagnum.htm

It wasn't within my budget, but after having tried many basses I had an incredibly good feeling about that one. If feels more comfortable than any other I 've tried any and to my unexperienced ears it sounds awesome, especially for that I'd like to play (reggae)!

#44 Immo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

View PostPoldo, on 03 January 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

I have been around quite a few shops last week end and yesterday I made my decision: I got an Ovation Magnum 4 (...)
Wow. You, sir, are a lucky one.

#45 kit-kat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hi All

Just got a bass as a birthday gift from my brother! After years of putting it off !! he picked it up from ebay or gumtree!

It's a peavey milestone 3 with a peavey practice amp bag & stand! Been teaching myself thro books & YouTube videos! Never played anything musical in my life!!

Was always wanting one but just a bit scared to spend the money & the thing turns into a dust magnet!!

Since the end of May I can't put the thing down & am hooked on it! Can play a few simple bass tunes & getting really into it! Obvious my biggest hurdle is training my left hand to be more flexible & each finger to be more stronger (one finger per fret) I know this will come with
Practice! Same as my poor wee fingers tips are taken a battering as they a get toughend up!

As I still have money left from my birthday I was maybe thinking on buying a new more expensive bass!

I have a budget of £400! £500/600 at a push! I would like a more crisp/tang bass sound! Been looking online at a Ibanez SR600-NTF Natural Flat I like the natural wood looking ones!
Or would I be better buying a better amp? Or effects box??

Or even hold of till Christmas to make sure am not just in a honeymoon period!

HELP

#46 Smythe

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

From experience,the main thing I go on when buying a bass is primarily comfort, and then tone. The brand of the bass is irrelevant to me, if it feels comfortable playing in a standing position then its defo a big buying point. I'll then check out the tones and volume etc. I can always change the OBP or p'ups on a bass if I feel it isn't up to scratch.

I remember a long time ago i briefly tried a certain high end brand of bass in a shop. Playing it sat down it felt good and most of all I totally loved its tone. I bought the same one online a while later and realised one thing I didn't take into perspective.....playing it in a standing position... It felt really uncomfortable to me! I perservered for a year or so and eventually got rid, So I learnt from that one!!
"For me, music is the closest thing to religion. And if it’s utilized in the right way, it can inform and bring people closer, and they can find solutions to their problems." - Ray Phiri

Feedback page below:

http://basschat.co.u...back-for-smythe

#47 afterimage

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:music faves neil young rush deep purple classic rock

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

thank you for the great info

#48 koha

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

How much this used Samick fretless is worth?

Posted Image

#49 BassTractor

English peaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts
  • Interests:Nearly everything except music, arts, science, food, sex, sleep, politics etc.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

View Postkoha, on 19 January 2013 - 09:51 AM, said:

How much this used Samick fretless is worth?

Posted Image

That one is a very rare Limited Edition. They go for between 17,000 and 19,000 Euro, normally.
"That would look good on your CV; not so good on mine."
Robert May

#50 koha

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

really? I saw one in Hungary on cca.400gbp

#51 dazza14

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

View Postxreporter2004, on 22 December 2010 - 06:51 PM, said:

Hello,

Everything I read so far were really helpful. I used to play guitar a few years ago and i have an acoustic bass as well but I haven't played for a few years and I want to buy an electric bass and start from the beginning again.

I've done a lot of research on basses on the internet but I haven't been in a shop yet ( which i will do soon).

My budget is 200 pounds. Any recommendations for a new or used bass.

I've also seen a few interesting models :

Tanglewood 4PB/4 ST
Ibanez GSR180, GSR 200JB, RBX170
Yamaha RBX170,RBX270J
Peavy millenium 4BXP
Washburn T14 CG,XB 120TR

If you have any knowledge on these instruments please make a comment or please tell me your thoughts.

Thanks

I used to play a Yamaha RBX and it was a fantastic bass, lots of tonal options because of the pickup configuration and it was nice to play standing (because of it's low weight) and seated. I remember the neck was really chunky so really felt like you were holding onto something. These basses come up on e-bay all the time at good prices and you can't really go wrong.
But DEFINITELY try before you buy, it's all down to how it feels.
I tried a more expensive Yam RBX 4A2 (i wanted to see how Yamaha had progressed since i stopped playing Yam's) and it was a horrible bass, really flimsy and plastic feeling. For some this bass may be brilliant but it's lost the appeal for me that the RBX i had had in buckets.
By the way i've still got my Yamaha, had it for 16 years and it's still lovely sounding.
Rock, Pop, Jazz, Funk, Reggae... can't play any of it.

2007 Squier VM Jazz Bass (Louise)
Jim Deacon 'Bitsa' bass in Sparkly Pink
Yamaha RBX flame-top
Harley Benton EUB
Mark Bass CMD 121 combo

#52 ironkerton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:55 PM

What a great thread :) Love the advice throughout - it's so important to get YOUR bass, you only have to look at the forum at people who have been playing for years and years to see we all have different tastes, so there's no one right answer to what you should start out on. I think all the tips on how you should pick are really well covered, but also - Don't feel embarrassed in music shops because you're a newbie, and anyone who talks down to you or tries to make you feel a bit silly (we've all met those people) isn't worth paying attention to - most staff and customers in music shops are really excited for people who are just starting their bass playing journeys and will be happy to chat and offer you lots of advice. As a girl, who used to get very intimidated in music shops, I always get really excited when I see teenage girls buying their first bass and I probably bore them to death when I chat to them!

I was really lucky because my older brother plays bass - so I started to learn on a lovely 80s P-bass (which he later sold for peanuts and not to me!). I spotted my very first bass of my own at a car boot sale in Weston-Super-Mare. It was a sunburst Rickenfaker, it played beautifully, and it cost me £20. Look in strange places, there's often bargains to be had.

#53 s1ngle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

I bought my first bass two years ago. I chose sth cheap, because was't sure if it's just a fling or I'll keep on playing. My current bass is a Warwick's Rockbass, but since I tried playing other basses I wish for a new one. It seems like I have to use so much force with this one, and others I've tried were so smooth to play on, seemed totally effortless.

Can anyone tell me what is the main thing that makes bases soft to play? (I'm translating directly from my language, so I hope I used the right expression).
To know that, would be a great help with choosing a new bass. :scratch_one-s_head:

#54 Musky

Hyper elite mega member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:19 AM

I find it's usually a combination of the shape of the neck and a low action. The shape of the neck is totally down to personal preference, so what works for one person might leave someone else cold. If the Rockbass is anything like the German made basses it'll probably have quite a think neck, which might not suit you.

What were the other basses you tried?

#55 Smythe

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

View Posts1ngle, on 02 April 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

I bought my first bass two years ago. I chose sth cheap, because was't sure if it's just a fling or I'll keep on playing. My current bass is a Warwick's Rockbass, but since I tried playing other basses I wish for a new one. It seems like I have to use so much force with this one, and others I've tried were so smooth to play on, seemed totally effortless.

Can anyone tell me what is the main thing that makes bases soft to play? (I'm translating directly from my language, so I hope I used the right expression).
To know that, would be a great help with choosing a new bass. :scratch_one-s_head:

Have a look at Yamaha's BB range or Ibanez Soundgear range, you get a lot of bass for little money from those brands. They have good craftsmanship, reliable hardware, half decent electronics and easy playability, everything that makes a bass buyable!
"For me, music is the closest thing to religion. And if it’s utilized in the right way, it can inform and bring people closer, and they can find solutions to their problems." - Ray Phiri

Feedback page below:

http://basschat.co.u...back-for-smythe

#56 s1ngle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:15 PM

I have played fender precision standard and mexican models and jazz custom shop but they are all too pricey. What about squiers? Is there anything I should pay extra attention to when buying a bass?

#57 Musky

Hyper elite mega member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:37 PM

View Posts1ngle, on 06 April 2014 - 07:15 PM, said:

I have played fender precision standard and mexican models and jazz custom shop but they are all too pricey. What about squiers? Is there anything I should pay extra attention to when buying a bass?
The Classic Vibes have a great reputation, and even the Standard series can play nicely. As Smythe points out, there are other basses worthy of consideration at this price. The Ibanez's have particularly slim necks if that's what you're looking for.

Did you have a preference for the neck width when you played the precisions and jazz bass?

#58 ribbetingfrog

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:27 AM

If you are still looking... http://www.guitargui...=15010913094858

Good price for a new bass in the sale.

#59 blue

Forum Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,992 posts
  • Interests:Keeping real rock alive especially live performance.

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:28 AM

First Bass, if your on a budget, I would recommend any MIJ Fender or any of the Epiphones as long as the action is good.

Blue

#60 indus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:12 PM

Hi Everybody, I'm new on here, so here's my first post which I joined up specifically to ask.....I am looking to buy a bass for under £300, as I'm very poor (sigh), and I wondered if I could have some comments from someone who has played both the Fender Modern Player Jazz Short Scale Bass or the Squire Jaguar Short scale Bass. I note the Squire has Precision bass p/u and a jazz bass p/u, and the comments I've read so far seem pretty good. On the other hand the Fender MP Jazz SS Bass hasn't really impressed everyone, in spite of it being 1/3 price dearer. I also note the Fenders 16 Fret and the Squire 20 Fret, though I don't usually play that high, in spite of being a guitarist, not a bassist.

Has anyone else compared them physically (as I live miles away from the store and they only have the Squire anyway) or can a shop owner / worker give me some advice. They both look great and I'm assuming they both sound pretty good too!

NB. I need it primarily for recording, but some live now and again.

I'd be grateful of some advice. Thanx in advance.

Indus

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users