Buying your first bass....

69 replies to this topic

#61 Musky

Hyper elite mega member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:15 PM

Since no one has replied to this I thought I'd take a stab at it even though I don't have any experience of either of the basses you mention. :rolleyes:

Personally I'd be more tempted to go for the Squier for two reasons: firstly it has a Precision pickup and I just happen to love the P bass sound(!), and secondly (and more pertinently) it is much cheaper and is well reviewed. It has to be said that the Modern Player had passed beneath my radar, which could be for all sorts of reasons but it does seem to suggest it hasn't set the world alight. That could be just because of the price differential though - after all the Vintage Modifieds have a great reputation for bang for the buck.

You'd do well to post you question as a separate thread in the Basses forum - the pinned threads can get over-looked as they become so much part of the page 'furniture'.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

#62 indus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

Thanks a lot for your response Musky, I note your comments, and will also repost in the Basses forum.

Thanks again and COYS.

#63 will.tyson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:10 PM

Hello, looking for a first bass, would like to play indie rock. I've looked at several basses in terms of new stuff, narrowed it down to the Peavey Millennium BXP 4 or the Hofner Ignition Violin Bass (feel this is slightly more on the novelty side though, anyone have any experience with overall sound quality/ease to play?) what do you guys think would be the better of the two? Ideally however, I would like a vintage bass, would be looking to spend £250-300 for the bass alone in this instance, happily pay more for other aspects of the set up - really struggling not only to know what is good in this side of the market, but where is would best to acquire one. Any advice will be greatly received.

#64 FuNkShUi

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

View Postwill.tyson, on 08 February 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

Hello, looking for a first bass, would like to play indie rock. I've looked at several basses in terms of new stuff, narrowed it down to the Peavey Millennium BXP 4 or the Hofner Ignition Violin Bass (feel this is slightly more on the novelty side though, anyone have any experience with overall sound quality/ease to play?) what do you guys think would be the better of the two? Ideally however, I would like a vintage bass, would be looking to spend £250-300 for the bass alone in this instance, happily pay more for other aspects of the set up - really struggling not only to know what is good in this side of the market, but where is would best to acquire one. Any advice will be greatly received.

Hi Will
Firstly, if you are wanting to play indie rock, i'd go for the Peavey out of the two you suggested.

Youll struggle to get a real vintage instrument for within your budget, but you might get a Squier VM Jazz . . One like this....
http://www.kirstein....CFUHGGwodHZIJcg

I would keep an eye in the classifieds section on here. You can pick up some real bargains.

Good luck

#65 josie

Actually a cat.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Electric blues, heritage veg, cats and grandchildren. I work in mental health support.

And yes I know my avatar is sideways. Sometimes life's like that.

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:52 PM

(1) Imho never skimp budget on a musical instrument, especially your first. Cheap poor quality instruments are not "suitable for beginners", they're probably put them off. If you're serious, cut back on almost anything else to save up for a bass that will call to you from the end of the street every time you come home, play me! I gave my 2yo grandson a professional quality ukelele and it's his favourite possession, he is going to be a musician. I went straight for a top-end GMR 5 (was very lucky to get it for £550, above my budget but I fell in love) and I would have given up with anything less enticing and rewarding.

(2) As said before, try out as many as you can - reviews are useful but only by holding a guitar can you tell whether it fits you. It is intimidating going into a shop when you don't know how to play yet, but you can sit with the bass (does it nestle into your body?). Stand with it on a strap (is it too heavy? is it balanced?). Try your fingers round the neck (is it too wide if you have small hands? or is the string spacing too narrow?). Try sliding your hand up and down the neck (does it slide easily or stick? Matt finish works for me but I know people who prefer gloss).

A good guitar shop will be sympathetic and give you plenty of time. I spent 2 1/2 hours in Promenade Music in Morecambe Bay choosing my first, and they were brilliantly patient and helpful, wouldn't let me go until they were sure that I was sure I had the right thing.

(3) As for four strings or five: while I was building up courage to get into this, I talked to a lot of bass players at blues festivals. I knew I wanted to play 5-string, but thought maybe I should start with four. The best advice I had was "Get a 5-string and use the B-string as a thumb-rest until you're ready to play it!"

Hope this helps :-)
"The bass guitar is the honourable instrument. It is understated and unappreciated, yet it plays the most important role. The bass is the link between harmony and rhythm. It is the foundation of a band." - Victor L. Wooten, The Music Lesson

"The best musician is not the one with the best chops, but the one who best knows how to contribute to the whole." - Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

"Never anthropomorphise your guitars. They don't like it." - Anon

#66 joseb84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Church, Bristol City, Catan, Bass, Songwriting, Ale, Green Politics

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:50 PM

Hi Josie - agree with nearly everything you say but would challenge the idea that all 'cheap' instruments are 'poor' and therefore off-putting to a beginner. These days I think there are a number of instruments at the lower end of the spectrum that are very good quality and enjoyable to play. While there's nothing wrong with starting on a 500+ bass I don't think you have to- 199 should suffice with the right advice.

#67 Grangur

Bahh Humbug!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:56 PM

I've bought a good few basses for around 50 of less and they've been good. Some have needed some work on them, such as setting up, but they're put there.

I anyone who's starting out reads this and wants to know more I'd happily help you get a deal like this. I can't promise it will be within a week, but it wouldn't be long to wait before you're playing.
See my feedback

#68 mikel

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

View Postjoseb84, on 09 September 2016 - 03:50 PM, said:

Hi Josie - agree with nearly everything you say but would challenge the idea that all 'cheap' instruments are 'poor' and therefore off-putting to a beginner. These days I think there are a number of instruments at the lower end of the spectrum that are very good quality and enjoyable to play. While there's nothing wrong with starting on a £500+ bass I don't think you have to- £199 should suffice with the right advice.

Agreed. My first bass is a Yamaha, less than 200 quid, and its perfectly playable. The neck is fine, the action is low and the body is comfortable. It holds its tuning and there are no dead spots when amplified. If I keep playing and improving I may treat myself, eventually, to a more luxurious instrument but for what I play it would be vanity. Nowt wrong with a bit of vanity though.

#69 josie

Actually a cat.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Electric blues, heritage veg, cats and grandchildren. I work in mental health support.

And yes I know my avatar is sideways. Sometimes life's like that.

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:49 PM

Happy to stand corrected - probably showing my age... When I bought my sons their first instruments, 25-ish years ago, one had to spend good money to get good quality. It's relatively recent, and excellent, that better instruments are available at a better price.
"The bass guitar is the honourable instrument. It is understated and unappreciated, yet it plays the most important role. The bass is the link between harmony and rhythm. It is the foundation of a band." - Victor L. Wooten, The Music Lesson

"The best musician is not the one with the best chops, but the one who best knows how to contribute to the whole." - Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

"Never anthropomorphise your guitars. They don't like it." - Anon

#70 mikel

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 05:14 PM

View Postjosie, on 14 September 2016 - 10:49 PM, said:

Happy to stand corrected - probably showing my age... When I bought my sons their first instruments, 25-ish years ago, one had to spend good money to get good quality. It's relatively recent, and excellent, that better instruments are available at a better price.

Its true. Not just guitars. I am mainly a drummer but I also play bass and guitar. The Cheap Squire Telecaster I bought 10 years ago is twice the instrument that the Gibson SG I had back in the 70s was. It cost 250 quid back in the day and the intonation was never right, also it was poorly finished. The Squire was spot on straight out of the box. I bought a new mid range Yamaha kit last year, its superbly made and finished, for about half, in real terms, what it cost me for a used Rodgers kit back in the day. Nurse, my medication.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users