Why become a member? ×

Buying your first bass....

The Burpster

My advice for people buying their first bass would be:
- Don't buy something superduper expensive. My first bass was like £80 or something. I was only 11 so I got a 3/4 scale Squier Bronco.. I still have it actually! Looks like a ukelele now.. haha!
- Buy a simple bass that doesn't have amazing action because playing on something that's harder to play improves strength and helps later in your playing life.

That second one might seem a bit weird.. I dunno. That's what I think now I look back. It wasn't a conscious decision at the time to get a rubbish bass for my first one, but I think it helped now that I look back.
Hope this helps!

• 5 weeks later...

Very helpfull all this - especially as my sister has asked me for advice about buying my nephew a bass for christmas - no pressure then :)
He's 16 into rock music got a Sqiuer Strat of some sort & an electro accoustic 6 string . He's had a loan of a couple of my basses over an extended period.
Anyhow - just so happens a pal at work is selling a virtually unused Stagg300BC(?) bundle including set of strings ,bag strap ,lead & practice amp. I've been messing about with it today & whilst the action is pretty high & presumably fixable I think for £100 you can't really go far wrong - if it does it'll be my fault, of course :) again!

• 2 weeks later...

Some great advice given in this thread!

My tiny gem of wisdom would be that I've played a precision 4, jazz 4, yamaha 4 then jazz 5 and have always found it tricky to switch between basses regularly. I have been settled on my J5 for about 2 years. I turned up to a jam session the other day and played a friend's G&L 4 string, and just found it really uncomfortable to play, my main issue is finding something to do with my thumb! It sits on the B on my 5, and the pups on the G&L seem in a funny place.

The point I'm making is that it might take a while to become truly accustomed to a bass. However, when I pick up a P4, which is what I learnt on, it all comes back to me. In my opinion a very good starter bass for any style. I played jazz on a precision for a fair time. In my mind the ultimate bass guitar!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Everything I read so far were really helpful. I used to play guitar a few years ago and i have an acoustic bass as well but I haven't played for a few years and I want to buy an electric bass and start from the beginning again.

I've done a lot of research on basses on the internet but I haven't been in a shop yet ( which i will do soon).

My budget is 200 pounds. Any recommendations for a new or used bass.

I've also seen a few interesting models :

Tanglewood 4PB/4 ST
Ibanez GSR180, GSR 200JB, RBX170
Yamaha RBX170,RBX270J
Peavy millenium 4BXP
Washburn T14 CG,XB 120TR

If you have any knowledge on these instruments please make a comment or please tell me your thoughts.

Thanks

The Ibanez GSR200 is a brilliant bass for the money (I payed £150 in '07 for mine) especially for someone just starting out on bass, so i recommend one of those, but as always, go and play some basses in your budget and pick which one feels and sounds best to you.

Liam

[quote name='xreporter2004' post='1067068' date='Dec 22 2010, 06:51 PM']Hello,

Everything I read so far were really helpful. I used to play guitar a few years ago and i have an acoustic bass as well but I haven't played for a few years and I want to buy an electric bass and start from the beginning again.

I've done a lot of research on basses on the internet but I haven't been in a shop yet ( which i will do soon).

Tanglewood 4PB/4 ST
Yamaha RBX170,RBX270J
Peavy millenium 4BXP
Washburn T14 CG,XB 120TR

If you have any knowledge on these instruments please make a comment or please tell me your thoughts.

Thanks[/quote]

[quote name='LiamPodmore' post='1067100' date='Dec 22 2010, 07:08 PM']The Ibanez GSR200 is a brilliant bass for the money (I payed £150 in '07 for mine) especially for someone just starting out on bass, so i recommend one of those, but as always, go and play some basses in your budget and pick which one feels and sounds best to you.

Liam[/quote]

thanks for advise .I'll tell you what i think as soon as i play it

• 6 months later...

[quote name='LiamPodmore' post='1067100' date='Dec 22 2010, 08:08 PM']The Ibanez GSR200 is a brilliant bass for the money (I payed £150 in '07 for mine) especially for someone just starting out on bass, so i recommend one of those, but as always, go and play some basses in your budget and pick which one feels and sounds best to you.

Liam[/quote]

Totally agree.When I started looking a few months ago, this was my first choice by far, until I found my Washburn.
The rest of your advice makes complete sense as well :)

• 5 months later...

Couple of things I always say to the one who wants to buy his (her) 1[sup]st[/sup] bass should be a handful short guide (just wanted to write something REALLY short, but - as usual - it ended up as a small book :D) and it may add some freshness to this topic:[list=1]
[*][b]Listen to[/b] several[b] samples[/b] of most popular kinds of basses (P, J, MM etc.) to determine what sound you like the most. I think even the biggest 'newbie' would hear the difference (even my half-deaf grandfather had to admit that EB-3 setup sounds much different than Traben's two soapbars); checking the [b]gear of a favourite bass player[/b] is good idea as well
[*]Think about what[b] music you'd like to play[/b]. It's no point buying active six string fretless bass for punk rock.
[*]Be sure you'd be[b] comfortable[/b] with an instrument. Check the reach of your left (if you are right handed) arm in the nearest guitar store. Maybe you'd like to begin with short scale bass. Check if you are feeling comfortable with the width of fretboard (e.g. my fingers tend to 'wrap' around SVM JB's neck and I find it really hard to play this bass); if you are 5'2" girl, don't buy a big and heavy bass like T-40 just because it is a really cool instrument.
[*]Generally,[b] don't buy something just because it's cool[/b]. It's nice to have the aforementioned active 6 string fretless, but does it really have sense to start with heavy artillery like that?[b] Try simple stuff first[/b]. If you are impatient person who tends to quickly get disappointed, playing active, extremely sensitive bass (which would obnoxiously expose your every mistake) may not motivate you to improve your skills but even discourage you to play any longer.
[*]Check the [b]opinions about the gear[/b] you like to buy carefully and - if buying online - try to find somewhere a similar instrument you can check personally.[b] Check pros and cons[/b].
[*][b]Read forums a lot[/b] to find basses that are quite inexpensive but really good for the money or even far beyond.
[*][b]Do not buy[/b] extra-cheap,[b] budget instruments[/b] - there's more harm to it than benefits!
[*]But always[b] look for a good occasion[/b] anyway. You'll never know what you can find in pawn shops, local sites, old friend's basement etc.; always try - as mentioned before in this thread - to get a bargain or discount. Finding something utterly cool for less quid is extremely satisfying.
[*]Last but not least (I'd even say it's the MOST IMPORTANT!): [b]don't buy new instrument[/b]. Always [b]go for used gear [/b](especially late 70's-early 90's Japanese stuff ;)):
[/list][list]
[*]it's cheaper
[*]it's been used and if it would broke, it would have broke already
[*]some agree that the quality was better some time ago than it is today
[*]it's probably already dented a bit, so you won't cry about your first scratch (and believe me, it DOES hurt!)
[*]it has so much spirit to it :D
[/list]

Edited by Immo

Hi folks

Many of you may have read 1000 posts like this one, so please be merciful!

I just joined this forum because I want to learn playing bass guitar. In my life I have played other instruments (electric guitar, computer/sampler music and more than enything else african percussions)... but bass guitar has always been in my dreams. I haven't read all the posts on this topic, but I have already read loads of good advices....

As I am just starting and I will not be playing live for a long time, at this stage I'm not that fussed about the amp (I think I just need something to plug some earphones in for the moment), but I'd like to make a kind of shortlist of bass guitars to try/buy.

The question is:
Does anybody have some particular bass guitar for [u][b]reggae and dub[/b][/u] to recommend? That's what I want to play. My budget is up to £300 (preferably much less, of course), and I don't mind 2nd hand at all

I'd like to play roots reggae and 60s / 70s dub (Robbie Shakespeare is of course one of my favs)

Thanks a lot!

My first bass was a budget yamaha and from time to time I still check these out in shops.( amongst many others of course) I find them well set up out of the box so to speak and very playable for a starter bass.I guess it depends on the shop but most basses need some attention after travelling across the world and some of the budget basses are just not given enough to make them playable. You only really appreciate this as you get better as a player and of course thats one reason to want to buy a better bass.
A good shop should put the effort into doing the best set up they can even on the cheaper basses so as a starter you have a better chance of getting a lot back from playing and hopefully enjoying yourself more.

My first bass was a really nice headless Hohner (licensed by steinberger), but being 15 I was really embarrased by it and I swapped it for an Encore. That was horrible, and a big mistake, it made me almost give up on Bass, if my parents hadn't bought me an Aria Pro2 for my 16th, I'd probably never have learned to play well (or at least reasonably :P ).

I think used basses are far better value, but then if you don't know what you're buying it can be a big risk. If anyone in the Edinburgh area is thinking about a used first bass and wants some advice, or someone to check out the bass feel free to PM me. I just remember how difficult I found it when I was starting, and I ended up with a good bass mostly by chance.

I have been around quite a few shops last week end and yesterday I made my decision: I got an Ovation Magnum 4, like this one (mine is in slightly worse conditions, but it's just aesthetic):

http://www.ovationgallery.com/pagebassmagnum.htm

It wasn't within my budget, but after having tried many basses I had an incredibly good feeling about that one. If feels more comfortable than any other I 've tried any and to my unexperienced ears it sounds awesome, especially for that I'd like to play (reggae)!

[quote name='Poldo' timestamp='1325596251' post='1484805']
I have been around quite a few shops last week end and yesterday I made my decision: I got an Ovation Magnum 4 (...)[/quote]
Wow. You, sir, are a lucky one.

• 7 months later...

Hi All

Just got a bass as a birthday gift from my brother! After years of putting it off !! he picked it up from ebay or gumtree!

It's a peavey milestone 3 with a peavey practice amp bag & stand! Been teaching myself thro books & YouTube videos! Never played anything musical in my life!!

Was always wanting one but just a bit scared to spend the money & the thing turns into a dust magnet!!

Since the end of May I can't put the thing down & am hooked on it! Can play a few simple bass tunes & getting really into it! Obvious my biggest hurdle is training my left hand to be more flexible & each finger to be more stronger (one finger per fret) I know this will come with
Practice! Same as my poor wee fingers tips are taken a battering as they a get toughend up!

As I still have money left from my birthday I was maybe thinking on buying a new more expensive bass!

I have a budget of £400! £500/600 at a push! I would like a more crisp/tang bass sound! Been looking online at a Ibanez SR600-NTF Natural Flat I like the natural wood looking ones!
Or would I be better buying a better amp? Or effects box??

Or even hold of till Christmas to make sure am not just in a honeymoon period!

HELP

• 3 weeks later...

From experience,the main thing I go on when buying a bass is primarily comfort, and then tone. The brand of the bass is irrelevant to me, if it feels comfortable playing in a standing position then its defo a big buying point. I'll then check out the tones and volume etc. I can always change the OBP or p'ups on a bass if I feel it isn't up to scratch.

I remember a long time ago i briefly tried a certain high end brand of bass in a shop. Playing it sat down it felt good and most of all I totally loved its tone. I bought the same one online a while later and realised one thing I didn't take into perspective.....playing it in a standing position... It felt really uncomfortable to me! I perservered for a year or so and eventually got rid, So I learnt from that one!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='xreporter2004' timestamp='1293043877' post='1067068']
Hello,

Tanglewood 4PB/4 ST
Yamaha RBX170,RBX270J
Peavy millenium 4BXP
Washburn T14 CG,XB 120TR

Thanks
[/quote]

I used to play a Yamaha RBX and it was a fantastic bass, lots of tonal options because of the pickup configuration and it was nice to play standing (because of it's low weight) and seated. I remember the neck was really chunky so really felt like you were holding onto something. These basses come up on e-bay all the time at good prices and you can't really go wrong.
But DEFINITELY try before you buy, it's all down to how it feels.
I tried a more expensive Yam RBX 4A2 (i wanted to see how Yamaha had progressed since i stopped playing Yam's) and it was a horrible bass, really flimsy and plastic feeling. For some this bass may be brilliant but it's lost the appeal for me that the RBX i had had in buckets.
By the way i've still got my Yamaha, had it for 16 years and it's still lovely sounding.

• ped unpinned this topic