Why become a member? ×

Hello... I've just found you again!

iansmith

Hi there! I joined Bassworld last year but wasn't able to spend much time online... and when I came back a little while ago, I discovered it wasn't there any more! So I've just found you all again!!!

Anyway, the intro... I'm Ian, I'm mid 30s, been playing the drums since I was 12, but took up bass about 8 years ago (I'd dabbled in bass and guitar over the years - it was mainly as a favour to a mate who needed someone at short notice for a gig which ended up being pretty good fun, even though musically it was fairly dreadful!), and now I'm playing bass regularly in a sort of folk punk band... (sounds better than that description, honest!). Still drumming too, but not at the same time - although I'm working on it!

My gear - main basses are a Yamaha TRB 4-string (which I bought just after that first gig); and a Cort A5 Artisan 5-string (which I treated myself to at Christmas - grey oil finish - and my God, what a gorgeous piece of wood!).

I've also got a DeArmond Ashbory (the strange little thing with the silicon rubber strings - if anyone knows how to keep it in tune, I'd be really interested to hear from them!!! I don't know whether it's the guitar, the strings or me!) and a Kasuga Custom bass (Japanese Precision copy, possibly early 80s, which someone has done quite a nice job of turning into a fretless).

Oh, and I've just done something very silly by finally succumbing to the irrational side of my nature and buying a clear plexiglass Ampeg Dan Armstrong bass (the 90s reissue), which is winging its way from the USA as we speak! Hope it's as good as I've convinced myself (don't spoil it for me if you know any different!!!).

Amps - Gallien Kruger Microbass amp (for when I'm feeling lazy) and a Trace Elliot 4x10 combo (when there's someone else there to carry it or when I need to shift lots of air!).

Anyway... nice to be back here - looking forward to meeting you all!

Cheers!
Ian :-)

Edited by iansmith

Thanks folks! Sorry I wasn't who you thought I might have been, Linz (you mean there might be someone else similar to me out there in Bassland? now there's a scary thought!).

Just as a ps to my original introduction - my Ampeg Dan Armstrong clear plexi bass arrived yesterday - and it's gorgeous! I can see why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm head over heels in love, I think!!!

[quote name='iansmith' post='9046' date='May 30 2007, 10:45 AM']Thanks folks! Sorry I wasn't who you thought I might have been, Linz (you mean there might be someone else similar to me out there in Bassland? now there's a scary thought!).

Just as a ps to my original introduction - my Ampeg Dan Armstrong clear plexi bass arrived yesterday - and it's gorgeous! I can see why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm head over heels in love, I think!!![/quote]

My brother in laws name is Ian Smith and he plays the Bass! Linz is my wife, so you can imagined what she thought! (put 2+2 and got 7).

Ah right - now I understand why there might have been some confusion!!! ;-)

Hi Willl - haven't got round to taking any photos of the Dan Armstrong myself yet (too busy playing!) but here's some pics that the guy selling it had posted on eBay... not very detailed but hopefully of some interest! When I get a spare few moments, I'll try and take some of my own - and I'll also post a review in the appropriate bit of the forum. Cheers!

Edited by iansmith