Why become a member? ×

My first router project

Mr. Foxen

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='84634' date='Nov 6 2007, 10:06 PM']What are good things to make for practicing using a router? I just bought one from Aldi, Gonna practice with the bits that come with it on scrap wood, and get some quality bits for anything real. I'm looking for the equivalent of making candlesticks when learning to use a lathe.[/quote]

Practice routing out pickup holes, neck pockets or control cavities?

Handle with care! Routers are scary! Just try routing scrap bits of wood & off-cuts to get a feel for how it works.

Don't try to rout too deep in each pass.
Don't Pull the bits out with your fingers (they can heat up and get stuck in the collet) Router bits are very sharp. I Found that out the hard way.
Don't leave any screws or metal embedded in whatever you're routing. I hit a concealed screw once with a router going at full chat. It looked like a firework display. And melted my goggles with hot fragments...
DO wear eye protection!
DO use a face mask if working with MDF. The resin/dust isn't very healthy stuff. Some routers allow you to stick a Hoover into them for dust extraction purposes.
Do use a template! And clamp your work to something substantial!

That said, good luck! And have fun with your new toy!

In addition to the tips above...

1. NEVER attempt to sharpen a blunt bit - you need a diamond stone for starters, and since cutters can spin at up to 20,000 rpm balance is a real issue. I never want to meet an out of balance router bit.

2. Always push into the work, never pull. Work with the grain, not against it otherwise it'll tear out.

3. Use the right size collet for the bit. Some collets & bits come in Imperial & metric sets - don't mix & match.

Clamping is always the ideal, but they can get in the way. Look out for a router mat - they're about £5 & hold the work remarkably well provided only downward pressure is applied (there's a few shots of my one [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5094"][u][b]here[/b][/u][/url]).

In terms of getting to grips with the intricacies, I guess the basics:- Rebates, trimming, fancy mouldings & template work - go through your cutters & find out what they can do. The majority of routing is done to a template so this is a good area to look into as well.

Further reading? have a nose around the glossy mags in W H Smiths & I'm sure you'll turn up something, ditto the handicrafts section in most bookshops.

Pete.