Why become a member? ×

Bridge(ish) question

aj5string

[quote name='The Burpster' post='85125' date='Nov 7 2007, 08:48 PM']Shim the neck.......

[url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/work-your-bass/nov-05/15314"][url="http://www.bassplayer.com/article/work-you...ss/nov-05/15314"]http://www.bassplayer.com/article/work-you...ss/nov-05/15314[/url][/url]

Enjoy....[/quote]

+1, it's the only practical and simple option. Alternatives are to sink the bridge into the body, modify the saddles or buy a new bridge. It takes 10 minutes to shim the neck, it might require a few trials/errors to get it right, but probably an hour or two max. The other options would take considerably longer
Chris

[quote name='lovedub' post='85588' date='Nov 8 2007, 05:59 PM']Unscrew the saddles, clamp them in a vice and file the undersides of them down, one at a time.

piece of **ss[/quote]
:wacko:

taking the **ss more like :)

As others have suggested: Shim the neck - that's the only solution a luthier would perform.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='85612' date='Nov 8 2007, 06:39 PM']:wacko:

taking the **ss more like :)

As others have suggested: Shim the neck - that's the only solution a luthier would perform.[/quote]

Taking the **ss??!!!

No, I certainly wasn't, Jean-Luc. I'm merely suggesting an option.

It may be time consuming but it's not like modifying the saddles is going to bring on the ten plagues of Egypt, or is it? Perhaps filing deeper grooves into the saddles with a small round file would be better ... but hey, don't listen to me, I'm not a luthier :huh:

If I'm wrong offer me reason as opposed to arrogance please. I'm also here to learn.

[quote name='lovedub' post='85714' date='Nov 8 2007, 10:46 PM']Taking the **ss??!!!

No, I certainly wasn't, Jean-Luc. I'm merely suggesting an option.

It may be time consuming but it's not like modifying the saddles is going to bring on the ten plagues of Egypt, or is it? Perhaps filing deeper grooves into the saddles with a small round file would be better ... but hey, don't listen to me, I'm not a luthier :)

If I'm wrong offer me reason as opposed to arrogance please. I'm also here to learn.[/quote]
Sorry mate - I wouldn't have made such a flippant reply if I thought that you really believed that filing down the saddles would be a good suggestion rather than it being a jokey reply - your "piece of **ss" comment just seemed a bit silly as filing would be more hassle than shimming. Now I know that you were serious doesn't the "piece of **ss" comment comes over more arrogant than my reply seeing as you don't seem to have much experience or knowledge of simple routine setup jobs, but are making incorrect suggestions to people as if you know what you're talking about?

Shimming the neck can be reversed. If you shim it too much or not enough you can adjust it easily with different thicknesses of card and/or the position of the card as required. Doesn't it make more sense to do something thats quicker and 100% reversible instead of hacking up the hardware?

I'd have to agree with shimming the neck on this one.

Mainly because its completely reversible. It's no big deal to take off the neck on a Fender-type bass with a little care.

Filing the bridge pieces is an option (as is filing deeper grooves in the top of the bridge pieces) but you'll always be limited in how much adjsutment you can get using either of these techniques (there's only so much material you can file off until you start to get problems). Shimming the neck is non-destructive and you can make very small or very lage changes to the action using this technique.