Why become a member? ×

stingray virgin

al embic

got some serous gas for a 4string stinger at the mo......well,it's been developing for the last 10 years!i feel an explosion of my hard earned is iminent!!!so,which one should i go for?in my stingray naivety i kinda thought they were all pretty much the same.........how wrong was that!!!
gotta be a four stringer an as $$ to £ is sooo cool at mo it'll more than likely be a new one rather than paying £700/800 for 2nd/3rd/ onwards hand ones.

mine:

I bought this used and had it shipped over from a guy in LA who had put it on ebay. It was more like brand new and landed for £500 (before I was hit with a £100 customs bill - still cheap though). It's a 3EQ and is very versatile, although does rock growl sort of stuff very well. Apparently the 2EQ ones are said to be more of a real stingray (soundwise) than the 3EQ, but I'm happy with it.

Took me a while to get used to it - it was my first active bass and, having played precisions, I was astonished that a bass could have such a massive range and I really didn't like it. I came close to trading it in for something else almost immediately. Get one, you won't regret it. And if you can save a few quid on a used one, you might as well - there are some sub £400 bargains in the US to be had if you really look hard enough.

Importing is a bit of a ball ache - used stingray prices are down at the moment; nobody is getting more than 550-600 for run of the mill models. Besides, a stingray is one of those basses that looks better when its worn in with bumps, knocks and various other mojo.

Yeah... I can testify that Stringray prices are down at the moment. (We should have an instrument stock market... hehe). Unfortunately I was selling at the time.

For me, I'm really preferring the thinner string spacing nowadays. As result, my remaining Stingray doesn't get much of a look in. But she's a really well made bass and is really beautiful with the birds eye maple neck made in the transition era after Ernie Ball acquired Musicman. If you do get one, I suggest you find one of these. Though they are sought after by some individuals for their necks and pre-amps, they aren't more expensive in the market. For me, the combine the higher quality control when Ernie Ball took over, and some of the pre-EB classic designs, i.e. larger bridge.

Here's my one as an example:

Hi Al!

I play a Stingray since the beginning of the 80s.

I play rock (progressive), so ymmv...

I tried many 3 band eq SRs, but I see no value in it. My 2 band is still flat anyway! (Fretlesses is another story!)

If you like it go for the maple neck: much more attack when finger play

Avoid black PG on black body: 50% of the production comes that way...

For the rest: BUY IT! I bought and sold a lot of other basses, that's the only one I always keep!

Greets from Switzerland!

Andy

[quote name='al embic' post='85501' date='Nov 8 2007, 03:53 PM']$$ to £ is sooo cool at mo it'll more than likely be a new one rather than paying £700/800 for 2nd/3rd/ onwards hand ones.[/quote]
If you're planning to buy one from Ebay or similar and get it shipped in, don't forget to factor in 20% of total price (inc shipping) for customs. If it's still a good deal with that 20% added on top, go for it.

I think Stingrays are great basses (hence the moniker). But they do suffer from being very heavy and not the most comfortable to play. Punchy sound though, which is what it's all about. Have a look at G&L L2000s too.

L2000's are awesome (I have one!), but the reason they are awesome to some people like me, i.e. for their versatility, is the reason that lots of people don't like them. Even though the G&L can get a close 'ray tone, I'd still consider adding a stingray to the collection as it's just 'there' all the time rather than going through a load of different switches and settings to emulate it. Plus I love the halfway-between-precision-and-jazz necks.

[quote name='G-bitch' post='85973' date='Nov 9 2007, 03:00 PM']L2000's are awesome (I have one!), but the reason they are awesome to some people like me, i.e. for their versatility, is the reason that lots of people don't like them. Even though the G&L can get a close 'ray tone, I'd still consider adding a stingray to the collection as it's just 'there' all the time rather than going through a load of different switches and settings to emulate it. Plus I love the halfway-between-precision-and-jazz necks.[/quote]

yeah,had a g&l asat....close but no cigar ray sound wise.currently got ksd 70's jazz an a gb standard.all through ebs td 650,2x10 and 2x12 neo cabs.just NEED that ray sound!!
if i may be so bold to slightly change tack here?is there a great deal of difference with the rays sound with or without the piezo bits in the bridge?or am i better going for a good old run of the mill 2band eq?

I've not played a piezo equipped stingray so can't really comment on the (apparently subtle and better for fretless) differences, but given that you 'NEED that ray sound' I do believe that any 2 or 3 band will do it - that sound is there running totally flat and the EQ just adds the variety to it.

After having played Jazz basses all my life, I bought one specifically for a project and now I tend to use it for everything when I can. I love the feel and playability and the way it sits in the mix, it's always there. My only beef is the slap sound but even that can be sorted with eq. I'd say get one if you've never had one. Sell it if you don't like it.

Edited by TPJ

[quote name='TPJ' post='87361' date='Nov 12 2007, 03:50 PM']After having played Jazz basses all my life, I bought one specifically for a project and now I tend to use it for everything when I can. I love the feel and playability and the way it sits in the mix, it's always there. My only beef is the slap sound but even that can be sorted with eq. I'd say get one if you've never had one. Sell it if you don't like it.[/quote]

cheers fellas.tried a couple at bass day,was rather underwhelmed with them for the price.plus i'd already fallen for another stunna of a gb on bernies stand!!!(damm you goodfellow,stop make'n guitars that nice)but i'v borrowed a 2eq one thats for sale from a bloke that lives nr me.been playing for ages on it today an the combo of stinger an ebs has got my gas back in full flow.....seen the perfect one on sale in the states but unfortunatly they stipulate no exports out of the country!!!worked out under a £1000 too.