Why become a member? ×

Ibanez GWB1 Battery Compartment

Steve Woodcock

[quote name='Stickman' post='85687' date='Nov 8 2007, 09:53 PM']Got a problem with the battery compartment on both my Gary Willis basses - if I use them in active mode I get audible 'thumps' due to the battery moving when any pressure is applied to the battery compartment door (i.e. by my body). Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions for a solution?[/quote]

are the battery clips/battery poles making a secure/tight enough contact? i think I had a similar prob (not same bass though) one time because of it, and went away once they were adjusted with some pliers. also worth sticking some foam around the battery to keep it snug in place.

Edited by Gwilym

[quote name='Gwilym' post='85708' date='Nov 8 2007, 10:21 PM']are the battery clips/battery poles making a secure/tight enough contact? i think I had a similar prob (not same bass though) one time because of it, and went away once they were adjusted with some pliers. also worth sticking some foam around the battery to keep it snug in place.[/quote]

The contacts are pretty hard to get to as it's one of those hinged type compartments (I'll try and post a picture tomorrow), certainly no room for pliers but I'll see what I can do.

2 ideas;

1) Tweezers! Just tease the contact/s out gently. It shouldn't need the force that pliers could exert.
2) Can't see it in the photo, but how's the battery compartment secured into the body of the bass? If there's a retaining screw/s, try taking the whole compartment out. You'll be able to check the integrity of the connecting wiring then, too, in addition to getting a better look at the contacts.
If it's glued in (can't see why it would be, though) then I guess you can't!

My old Carvin bass had a similar problem, which is why I like the old fashioned battery clip on my Jazz. See if you can get your hands on some adhesive foam to stick to the back of the battery compartment and push the battery against the contacts when the lid is clicked shut. Might be a cheap and easy solution and you won't run the risk of snapping of the contacts with a pair of pliers, which would be a real p*sser.