Why become a member? ×

Replacing an individual saddle on a Gotoh bridge

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks,

I've recently acquired a Fender Roscoe Beck V and it has a Gotoh designed bridge on it. Unfortunately, the saddle for the low B has come apart so that the screw that allows you to move the saddle backwards or forwards when setting up intonation, now won't work. There's a locking nut or screw that can be tightened so that the saddle doesn't move around but it's far from ideal as the B string can't be easily adjusted for intonation..

Here's a photo of the bridge:

Does anyone know where or how I could find a replacement, bearing in mind this bass has been discontinued by Fender as a five string model?

Thanks,

Nik

You can get replacement grub screws, and you can probably find a replacement screw to fit the saddle assuming the saddle itself is not damaged. If the saddle threads are damaged, you could recut and re-thread if you are willing to put in a bit of elbow grease. Cut the thread to the type of screws you need. I've not seen the particular Gotoh you have in question upclose but I don't recall Gotoh to use too many non generic screws and such. If your saddle itself has cracked - possibly you could get a set of replacement saddles or one.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='86495' date='Nov 10 2007, 03:17 PM']You can get replacement grub screws, and you can probably find a replacement screw to fit the saddle assuming the saddle itself is not damaged. If the saddle threads are damaged, you could recut and re-thread if you are willing to put in a bit of elbow grease. Cut the thread to the type of screws you need. I've not seen the particular Gotoh you have in question upclose but I don't recall Gotoh to use too many non generic screws and such. If your saddle itself has cracked - possibly you could get a set of replacement saddles or one.[/quote]
Thanks for the replies folks...

If you look at the photo of the bridge, you'll see a brass coloured ball shaped object near to the end of the bridge, that the screw goes through. What's happened is that the brass object has come loose from inside the saddle so I either need to find a way to fix it securely back inside the saddle, or replace the saddle itself...

Will try that google search and also try contacting Gotoh as well..

Nik

Sounds like a job for epoxy or loctite (not superglue!) .
Could you post some pictures for a better angle? Preferably with the brass part withdrawn from the bridge completely. The fact that you have one piece inside another piece means that something held it together in the first place.

Looks like a gotoh 206 to me, great bridge, might be worth looking at warmoth they had a few of these bridges still in stock fairly cheap, other wise good luck as i think they may be discontinued.

[url="http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/bridges.cfm?fuseaction=bridges_gotoh_206"]http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/br...idges_gotoh_206[/url]

Edited by steve-norris

Nik,
have you taken the saddle off and flipped it over? I can only think that they out a brass insert in to allow it to articulate. I would have thought there was some means of retention for that bush/insert that may have just come undone. If not and it is just a plain insert that fits into the sadle without articulating I have no idea why they did it but an idea for re fixing it.

[quote name='steve-norris' post='87014' date='Nov 11 2007, 07:52 PM']Looks like a gotoh 206 to me, great bridge, might be worth looking at warmoth they had a few of these bridges still in stock fairly cheap, other wise good luck as i think they may be discontinued.

[url="http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/bridges.cfm?fuseaction=bridges_gotoh_206"][url="http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/br...idges_gotoh_206"]http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/bridges/br...idges_gotoh_206[/url][/url][/quote]
That looks like the one Steve, thanks. I'll get in touch with them and see what I can find out..

[i]"Nik,
have you taken the saddle off and flipped it over? I can only think that they out a brass insert in to allow it to articulate. I would have thought there was some means of retention for that bush/insert that may have just come undone. If not and it is just a plain insert that fits into the sadle without articulating I have no idea why they did it but an idea for re fixing it.[/i]"

Hi Bob, yes I've taken the saddle off but couldn't see how the brass insert stayed put.. I should have looked at the others really for clues but I needed the bass in a useable state as I had a run of 4 gigs...

But as Pbassred says:

[i]"Sounds like a job for epoxy or loctite (not superglue!) .
Could you post some pictures for a better angle? Preferably with the brass part withdrawn from the bridge completely. The fact that you have one piece inside another piece means that something held it together in the first place."[/i]

Something must have held it together in the first place..??

My plan had always been to get Graham Wheeler my local luthier to set up the bass and as I've now got 2 weeks before my next gig, I'm going to do that on Wednesday and see what Graham says when he takes it apart. In the meantime, I'll check out that Warmoth/Gotoh link of Steves..

It's amazing how tricky a little problem like this can be to sort out, especially when parts or basses have been discontinued!! If I get any time to take more detailed pictures tomorrow or Tuesday, I'll post them up..

Thanks for the help folks.. Will let you know what happens later in the week.

Nik

Nik,

How good are you with solder?

I was going to suggest heating the brass part and putting a small amount of solder on one cleaned side of it. Whilst its still molten, wipe of the solder leaving a very fine residue (or 'tinning') on the surface. it should no longer fit the hole of teh saddle.

Put the saddle in your domestic oven on its hottest setting and let it come up to temp. Put the tinned brass insert in teh freezer.

When they are both at their extremes of temp. (wearing gloves) take the brass insert out and with a spare screw in it (all the way in so all the threads are used) Gently tap it into the saddle. let it all come to room temp and should be locked in place.....

Bob.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='87533' date='Nov 12 2007, 07:41 PM']Nik,

How good are you with solder?

I was going to suggest heating the brass part and putting a small amount of solder on one cleaned side of it. Whilst its still molten, wipe of the solder leaving a very fine residue (or 'tinning') on the surface. it should no longer fit the hole of teh saddle.

Put the saddle in your domestic oven on its hottest setting and let it come up to temp. Put the tinned brass insert in teh freezer.

When they are both at their extremes of temp. (wearing gloves) take the brass insert out and with a spare screw in it (all the way in so all the threads are used) Gently tap it into the saddle. let it all come to room temp and should be locked in place.....

Bob.[/quote]
The honest answer Bob, is 'crap'! But I'm so impressed by your idea that I might have a go..

What's puzzling me is whether the screw will then come out when everything has returned to room temperature?

Nik

Nik,

Shame...

But of course the screw will come out provding you didnt solder it in!

Its a damn shame your not a bit nearer me as I could have a go for you. I'm pretty confident it would work.

Bob.

PS hoping to hear from brother soon... :) Oh and PM me if you need any more tips on the above technique I'll give you my fone number incase you need more help!

[quote name='The Burpster' post='87791' date='Nov 13 2007, 11:26 AM']Nik,

Shame...

But of course the screw will come out provding you didnt solder it in!

Its a damn shame your not a bit nearer me as I could have a go for you. I'm pretty confident it would work.

Bob.

PS hoping to hear from brother soon... :) Oh and PM me if you need any more tips on the above technique I'll give you my fone number incase you need more help![/quote]
Hi Bob

OK - will PM you...

Thanks

Nik

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='86498' date='Nov 10 2007, 03:37 PM']Im sure someone else had the same problem with the same Gotoh bridge. Gotoh themselves were as much use as a a chocolate teapot iirc. Try a search - bit of a long shot I know. Sometimes searches work better on google.[/quote]

That was me. It is no longer made. I looked and looked and looked. Eventually I bought a Badass V (£30 from Ebay.com) because it was the only thing I could find that would cover the real estate of the Gotoh. The good news for you is that I now have a Gotoh bridge with 3 working saddles on it so should be able to sort you out for nowt it you still need help.

Let me know.

[quote name='owen' post='88727' date='Nov 14 2007, 11:45 PM']That was me. It is no longer made. I looked and looked and looked. Eventually I bought a Badass V (£30 from Ebay.com) because it was the only thing I could find that would cover the real estate of the Gotoh. The good news for you is that I now have a Gotoh bridge with 3 working saddles on it so should be able to sort you out for nowt it you still need help.

Let me know.[/quote]
Hi Owen

Yes, I still deperately need help with this so would be happy to buy the saddles from you, or at very least, pay postage etc..

I took the bass to my luthier Graham today and he worked out that there's a nylon bush that is missing, which holds the brass insert in place within the saddle. He tried glueing it and other remedies but none worked... So I said I would contact Fender or Gotoh, but maybe you're able to save me that hassle which would be a relief?

I'll send you a PM now.

Thanks

Nik

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='owen' post='88727' date='Nov 14 2007, 11:45 PM']That was me. It is no longer made. I looked and looked and looked. Eventually I bought a Badass V (£30 from Ebay.com) because it was the only thing I could find that would cover the real estate of the Gotoh. The good news for you is that I now have a Gotoh bridge with 3 working saddles on it so should be able to sort you out for nowt it you still need help.

Let me know.[/quote]
Hi Owen

Thanks for sending the bridge through. I've managed to sort the problem now by using one saddle (hope that's OK) and will send it all back to you at the weekend. Anything I can do to help in return, just ask...

Can't thank you enough! :)

Cheers

Nik