A little Hipshot difficulty

obbm

The story so far:

1. email lakland - What is the correct Xtender for a DJ4 please?" - HE6C 1/2"

2. email Hipshot - What is the correct Xtender for a DJ4 please?" - HE6C 1/2"

3. None in the UK so order from Hipshot directly

4. Wait 2 weeks, collect from Post Office, pay duty and tax

5. Doesn't fit:-

- Headstock bush is larger - no way I'm going to drill it out, anyway they are advertised as a drop-in replacement,
- Can't use existing bush as threads are different
- Chrome instead of satin finish

6. Try it on Duck Dunn - same problem

7. Irate email to Lakland and Hipshot - awaiting reply

Dave,
I also emailed Lakalnd earlier this year to obtain the Hipshot part number for a DJ4 - can't confirm what part ref they quoted atm, though will check later. As I was dropping the bass off at the Gallery for a setup, I got them to also supply and fit the Hipshot (quoting the part number supplied by Lakland). Martin never mentioned about having drill anything.
P

[quote name='obbm' post='85833' date='Nov 9 2007, 11:02 AM']The story so far:

1. email lakland - What is the correct Xtender for a DJ4 please?" - HE6C 1/2"

2. email Hipshot - What is the correct Xtender for a DJ4 please?" - HE6C 1/2"

3. None in the UK so order from Hipshot directly

4. Wait 2 weeks, collect from Post Office, pay duty and tax

5. Doesn't fit:-

- Headstock bush is larger - no way I'm going to drill it out, anyway they are advertised as a drop-in replacement,
- Can't use existing bush as threads are different
- Chrome instead of satin finish

6. Try it on Duck Dunn - same problem

7. Irate email to Lakland and Hipshot - awaiting reply[/quote]

Reply from Lakland

"We've run in to this problem with a few of our Skyline production runs. A smaller tuner was used which isn't compatable with the replacement D-tuner. The solution is to have the hole reamed out to fit the new tuning machine. A qualified technician can do this fairly easily.

If you are interested in having a complete set of tuners that all have the same finish, we do offer a set of american made Hipshots which are replacements for the korean made tuners that came with your bass. These have the same finish as the D-tuner that you bought. These would also require reaming to fit properly."

Looks like I'm inot buying another 3 US tuners and having all the holes reamed out.

Platypus - Does your DJ4 have satin finish string-posts? Does your Hipshot have the same?

[quote name='Muppet' post='86427' date='Nov 10 2007, 11:33 AM']Dave, I'm thinking about an extender for mine. what's the best way to check before i order - measure the diameter of the existing hole? If so what should it be?

Cheers

Steve[/quote]

For what it's worth Steve, mine is a 2006 and I measured.

Hole: 15.8mm

Original Bush: 15.7mm

Hipshot Bush: 16.8mm

I'm going to go ahead and get the hole reamed out and fit it then at a later date when I have some spare cash get the other 3 matching tuners and have the other holes taken out.

Then i can sell a nice set of 4 Hipshot tuners. :)

Edited by obbm

[quote name='obbm' post='86120' date='Nov 9 2007, 06:40 PM']Reply from Lakland

"We've run in to this problem with a few of our Skyline production runs. A smaller tuner was used which isn't compatable with the replacement D-tuner. The solution is to have the hole reamed out to fit the new tuning machine. A qualified technician can do this fairly easily.

If you are interested in having a complete set of tuners that all have the same finish, we do offer a set of american made Hipshots which are replacements for the korean made tuners that came with your bass. These have the same finish as the D-tuner that you bought. These would also require reaming to fit properly."

Looks like I'm inot buying another 3 US tuners and having all the holes reamed out.

Platypus - Does your DJ4 have satin finish string-posts? Does your Hipshot have the same?[/quote]

Dave,
Yes, satin finish on both as I remember - NiceGuyHomer is the current owner of that DJ though.
Hope its gets sorted out ok

P

[quote name='Platypus' post='86434' date='Nov 10 2007, 11:43 AM']Dave,
Yes, satin finish on both as I remember - NiceGuyHomer is the current owner of that DJ though.
Hope its gets sorted out ok

P[/quote]

I need to take my DJ4 apart again and see if the original satin post will fit the Hipshot. Even if it does the bushes and washers will not match.

Interestingly I've had no response from Hipshot.

• 2 weeks later...

A postscript to this little saga.

Last week I got an email from Hipshot saying they were sending me a smaller bushing. It arrived today, was the same diameter as the stock tuner and had the same thread as the Xtender. I've just fitted it without modifying the bass and it is working perfectly. The only thing is that the bush and washer are chrome whereas the stock items are satin finish. I'm not sure that anyone will notice.

If anyone is considering ordering one directly from Hipshot check the diameter of the bush in your bass and specify accordingly.