Why become a member? ×

Squire Jazz - MIJ

L-mac

So is my son.

Your point is?

[b]My[/b] point is that, if you've been trying to do research on a Fender Squire, you will probably have had little success. I assumed that, as you put the description in inverted commas, you were quoting it from somewhere else.

Good luck any way.

Edited by bassicinstinct

anyway....

Check the serial number, could be quite sought after.
Anything with a JV serial number (stamped on the neckplate) is going to be worth a few bob as is anything with an SQ serial (providing they are in good nick and mostly original)
Anything with an "E" serial (probably on the headstock and then moved later to the back of the neck near the heel) will be from 84-87 - there is one on ebay at the minute hitting nearly 200 quid (it might have ended actually)
then there were some "Silver Series" ones from the early 90s, but as most Jap Squier stuff was from the early 80s, there is a tendancy to think that they were all 80s.

Full list of serial ids and how to date them is on fender's website.
I may have left out some detail, but they are the first things I would look for

edit/ if it was in good nick, i'd pay £120 for a Jap squier bass regardless of age i think

Edited by john_the_bass

I'd recommend you play it if you can, and see what shape its in. Some 80s Squiers were considered to be very good, so it may well be on a par with a normal Fender. Doesn't sound like a bad price for a good 'un, but it really depends on what its like in your hands.

i have an 80's Korean Squier Jazz, very similar to the Jap ones and it really is one of the nicest Ive ever played, this is including many 60's and 70's Fenders. Solid build, slightly weighty, lovely fret work and neck and that proper nasely Jazz tone. Ive had it for almost 20 years and gone through many basses, this ones a keeper. Most early to mid 80's Jap Fenders Ive played have been top notch. Ty it out and see.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='86075' date='Nov 9 2007, 05:21 PM']edit/ if it was in good nick, i'd pay £120 for a Jap squier bass regardless of age i think[/quote]

+1. The Jap Squiers tend to be pretty good, especially the Silver Series. If it plays well, you can stick a Badass and some Basslines on there and have a very nice bass for not much money.