Why become a member? ×

Custom cases for bass guitars

Tinman

I think it is highly unlikely you will be able to get custom moulded case so if it wont fit a Hiscox shaped I guess you will be lumbered with a rectangular one that will take most basses.

There might be someone making panelled cases.

Other than that a semi rigid gig bag is probably your best bet.

Hi Tinman,
I asked a similar question on BT a few weeks ago, these were the responses:

Essentially for full protection there are 4 options of cases going up in cost: Gigbags+case; Moulded plastic cases; Wood/aluminium flight cases; Military Hardware cases.

[b]Gigbags:[/b]
Ritter - good quality, do a range of sizes so something usually fits
Warwick - as above, but less 'features' (phone pockets etc.)
Overwater leather - nice but very expensive at £200
Harvest leather - probably where Overwater source theirs from, £15 cheaper, but increased postage

Gig bags can be put in other cases such as the specifically designed SKB BassSafe if going on a plane that will offer a good amount of protection too.

[b]Hard/semi plastic cases:[/b]
INCASE - from the states, consdered the best thing between a hard and soft case on TalkBass, they have no UK distribution and only use expensive shipping so Bleedproof was looking at getting a large order together, but that's not been mentioned in a while.
Hiscox - great UK manufacture, my personal preferance.

[b]Flight cases:[/b]
BUSTERCASES.
www.bustercases.com
tel:0161 761 2040.
fax:0161 761 6040

Spider Engineering: Tamworth (near Reading),

Protech Sound & Light (1)
Unit 1a, Sedbury Trading Estate, Grahamstown Rd, Sedbury, Chepstow, Gwent NP16 7AD
Tel: 01291 630410

[b]Military hardware cases:[/b]
Google [i]explorer[/i] or [i]pelican[/i] cases. Made from high strength plastics, these are very expensive but can be made air tight and will take any punishment and are usualy lighter that a flight case

D.

Edited by Alpha-Dave

[quote name='ped' post='7586' date='May 27 2007, 12:50 PM']Hi tinman,

You can get aluminium rectangle cases with a large foam block inside and cut that to fit your bass. They offer superb protection.

ped[/quote]

Thanks Ped, I saw those on the net. My only concern was I remember something back on BT/BW about faom possilbly damaging some forms of laquers, is this true?

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='7589' date='May 27 2007, 12:55 PM']Hi Tinman,

Essentially for full protection there are 4 options of cases going up in cost: Gigbags+case; Moulded plastic cases; Wood/aluminium flight cases; Military Hardware cases.
Harvest leather - probably where Overwater source theirs from, £15 cheaper, but increased postage

Gig bags can be put in other cases such as the specifically designed SKB BassSafe if going on a plane that will offer a good amount of protection too.
INCASE - from the states, consdered the best thing between a hard and soft case on TalkBass, they have no UK distribution and only use expensive shipping so Bleedproof was looking at getting a large order together, but that's not been mentioned in a while.
BUSTERCASES.
www.bustercases.com

Unit 1a, Sedbury Trading Estate, Grahamstown Rd, Sedbury, Chepstow, Gwent NP16 7AD
Google [i]explorer[/i] or [i]pelican[/i] cases. Made from high strength plastics, these are very expensive but can be made air tight and will take any punishment and are usualy lighter that a flight case
D.[/quote]
Cheers A-D, I know it's a bit early to be thinking about this but I don't want to end up with a case that will let it move about.
I've got a standard rectangular hard case I could use but the Shuker is going to be quite small (bodied) in comparison to others, so I need to think about some form of molded case.

Ah, I see where you're coming from. That requires a different (but much easier) solution than getting a custom-moulded case.

My Warwick streamer is quite small bodied and rattles around in its Hiscox case (at least 1&1/2" on each side if it’s in the centre). To avoid this I bought some medium density chair foam off my local market and some furry cloth (tiger stripes, for reference the inside of the case was green), and got my sister to sow the cloth into tubes which I stuffed with rectangular tubes of the foam, 1 long one for each edge of the body and a short one for the head. Totally snug and safe now.

Similarly with cut-foam flight cases, you can always cut the foam then line with a different material to be doubly sure of a protected finish.

Just thinking, can't imagine it'd be all that much work/expense to make your own custom case. Think you can get a huge sheet of 9mm MDF from B&Q for about a tenner. Can't cost that much for a load of thick foam. Also, 2 square metres of cheap velvety material (bought for Little Bear's Red Riding Hood Costume) came to £6.50. Some paint or plastic material for the outside. Add some hardware for around £20 odd quid and you could get a pretty spot on case exactly to your specs for about £60 all in.

The only problem is the labour which is always my sticking point. I'm seriously tempted to build my own case when I buy my new bass couple of weeks. I may do a build thread on it. Thing is, it's a really big if; I do get ideas and then apathy sets in quick. Mind you, I'm sure there's a load of things I may be missing here as well.

Edited by BlueBear

[quote name='BlueBear' post='7639' date='May 27 2007, 02:33 PM']Just thinking, can't imagine it'd be all that much work/expense to make your own custom case. Think you can get a huge sheet of 9mm MDF from B&Q for about a tenner. Can't cost that much for a load of thick foam. Also, 2 square metres of cheap velvety material (bought for Little Bear's Red Riding Hood Costume) came to £6.50. Some paint or plastic material for the outside. Add some hardware for around £20 odd quid and you could get a pretty spot on case exactly to your specs for about £60 all in.

The only problem is the labour which is always my sticking point. I'm seriously tempted to build my own case when I buy my new bass couple of weeks. I may do a build thread on it. Thing is, it's a really big if; I do get ideas and then apathy sets in quick. Mind you, I'm sure there's a load of things I may be missing here as well.[/quote]
I expect you're right however, my wood working skills are none existant, I barely know one end of a saw from another.
Give me a soldering iron and a circuit diagram and I'm laughing but a saw, 'fraid not.

Its true... I did look into getting an order together for anyone after an INCASE bag. However after contacting INCASE they weren't what you would call optimistic.

Apart from the $200 cost, which works out at around 100GBP retail (before VAT etc) they were asking for anything between $200 and $600 shipping. This basically puts INCASE out of the picture for most as the cost is way inflated by the shipping.

They are nice cases but there are nice alternatives available.

I use Harvest all leather bag, as well as the canvas and leather Overwater bag (yes these bags are made by Harvest, spec'd and branded for overwater) however the all leather bags are the same as you'll get from Harvest. They are great bags, not cheap, but worth the investment if you're carry around a couple of grand worth of bass in something reminiscent of a carrier bag.

If you need more info, pics etc on the Harvest/Overwater bags, give me a shout.

Stu

[quote name='andyonbass' post='7679' date='May 27 2007, 03:50 PM']Have a look at these [url="http://www.hardcase.com/guitar_cases.htm"]http://www.hardcase.com/guitar_cases.htm[/url][/quote]
They look absolutely bang on mate, thanks.

I wouldn't bother building your own case unless you either have your own road crew to carry it or access to lightweight materials and the constructional ability to make use of them. Having made several traditional style plywood cases for instruments in the past, I would gladly pay for something strong and lightweight such as a Hiscox, over any saving I could make by self-building.

[quote]Hi Tinman,

BUSTERCASES.
www.bustercases.com

D.[/quote]

nice one dave, i have made this a sticky in the equipment forums.

G