11 replies to this topic

#1 brummie

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Films, music, live bands, eating out, travel

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:19 PM

I'd appreciate if any fellow BCer's could identify this bass.
It's a thru neck & has a brass nut and what looks like elaborate brass dot markers.
There's a sticker between the pick ups, I can't make out what it says on it but I think it's irrelevant anyway.
cheers
Nerves of steel - Knob of butter
Wal Pro 1E
Dean Edge 4 Fretted
Dean Edge 4 Fretless
Hohner B2A (Red)
Hughes & Kettner Basskick
GAS free for 4 months, taking one day at a time

#2 wrinkleygit

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

Looks like an old SD Curlee, from the 80's at a guess, mike b.
Sei headless 5
Steinberger spirit 5

#3 Soloshchenko

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:29 PM

Could be an Aria mate. Not certain though.

Looks quite nice.

#4 Bassassin

Acronym Research & Selection Executive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts
  • Interests:Things with strings, things with wheels, things with wires, things with buttons, things with sliders, things with fluff, things with mandibles, things with digits, amongst other things.

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:43 PM

It's a Cort, made in Korea late 70s/early 80s, and sold in the UK as Kay, and a million other names around the globe. I think if you unscrew the TRC on this, it will probably have a Kay logo on the other side! There's one on the Bay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=330415794177

Cort did dozens of variations on this particular neckthrough template, all of which are identifiable by the rather sexy triple brass dot inlays - I've seen Alembic-shaped basses, flying V guitars, the "Cort 45" travel guitar & bass, Washburn Wing series ripoffs.

Anyway I've had the bass version the same as this, very nicely-made instrument, actually had great-sounding pups in mine - in fact the sticker on this one is telling you it has "Powersound" pickups! :) . The only real problem (which is common on budget through-necks) was an unadjustably high action - saddles won't go low enough & obviously you can't shim the neck. I've seen some of these where the bridge has been sunk into the body to get it low enough.

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin, 28 March 2010 - 12:47 PM.

Captain JapCrap is currently wielding the following items of Vintage Nipponese firewood:

CSL Custom Jazz :: Kasuga EB-750 "Rickenbugger" :: Ibanez 2366B Precision :: Ibanez RS924 Roadster

And in Contemporary Korean Driftwood:

Aria STB-GT Sex-On-A-Stick

And introducing the FreakBass Circus:

Tokai B-135 Talbo :: Yamaha SBV500 :: Ibanez EDA900 Ergodyne :: Hohner B2A Steinbugger

Posted Image

"...peculiar and incoherent music about bees, pigeons and death in deep space..."

http://www.maya29.co.uk

#5 brummie

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

View PostBassassin, on Mar 28 2010, 01:43 PM, said:

It's a Cort, made in Korea late 70s/early 80s, and sold in the UK as Kay, and a million other names around the globe. I think if you unscrew the TRC on this, it will probably have a Kay logo on the other side! There's one on the Bay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=330415794177

Cort did dozens of variations on this particular neckthrough template, all of which are identifiable by the rather sexy triple brass dot inlays - I've seen Alembic-shaped basses, flying V guitars, the "Cort 45" travel guitar & bass, Washburn Wing series ripoffs.

Anyway I've had the bass version the same as this, very nicely-made instrument, actually had great-sounding pups in mine - in fact the sticker on this one is telling you it has "Powersound" pickups! :) . The only real problem (which is common on budget through-necks) was an unadjustably high action - saddles won't go low enough & obviously you can't shim the neck. I've seen some of these where the bridge has been sunk into the body to get it low enough.

Jon.

Nice one!
It's pretty much identical, I took the control plate off the back but there's nothing on it - otherwise it's pretty much the same, a tiny difference between the dot markers.
cheers.
If anyone has more info I'd still appreciate it.
Wal Pro 1E
Dean Edge 4 Fretted
Dean Edge 4 Fretless
Hohner B2A (Red)

#6 witterth

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:13 PM

A Vantage? possibly? still means a Kay Though.
it was acceptable in the 80's
.....Now take your hands out of your pockets!

#7 Bassassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts
  • Interests:Things with strings, things with wheels, things with wires, things with buttons, things with sliders, things with fluff, things with mandibles, things with digits, amongst other things.

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

View Postwitterth, on Mar 28 2010, 02:13 PM, said:

A Vantage? possibly? still means a Kay Though.
No - not a Vantage - all the through-necks were Japanese, made by Matsumoku.

Vantage was actually a Canadian brand, some of which got exported, which is why a few turn up in the UK. No connection with the Kay brand. :)

J.

Captain JapCrap is currently wielding the following items of Vintage Nipponese firewood:

CSL Custom Jazz :: Kasuga EB-750 "Rickenbugger" :: Ibanez 2366B Precision :: Ibanez RS924 Roadster

Tokai B-135 Talbo :: Yamaha SBV500 :: Ibanez EDA900 Ergodyne :: Hohner B2A Steinbugger

Posted Image

"...peculiar and incoherent music about bees, pigeons and death in deep space..."

#8 brummie

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:48 PM

I think I've found one similar/identical here after searching the for sale section.

kay bass
Wal Pro 1E
Dean Edge 4 Fretted
Dean Edge 4 Fretless
Hohner B2A (Red)

#9 Bassassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

This is my old one:

Attached File  monthly_03_2010/post-46-1269785431.jpg   425.82K

J.

Posted Image

#10 Pete Academy

Learn to groove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:19 PM

If my memory serves me right, there were some basses around at the time which were branded 'Lincoln'. Mostly variations on the S.D. Curlee.
www.nearlydan.co.uk
Roscoe SKB5
Fender Jazz 1979
Markbass LM3 amplifier
Markbass New Yorker 604 cabs x 2
Korg Pitch Black tuner
Oddly shaped banana

Posted Image

#11 Pete Academy

Learn to groove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

Just brought on an attack of nostalgia. These are the names I remember from my distant youth:

Lincoln
Curlee
Kay
Columbus (I had a Jazz copy)
Vantage
Cimar
Avon (I had an EB0 copy)
Winfield
Harmony
www.nearlydan.co.uk
Roscoe SKB5
Fender Jazz 1979
Markbass LM3 amplifier
Markbass New Yorker 604 cabs x 2
Korg Pitch Black tuner
Oddly shaped banana

Posted Image

#12 Bassassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,887 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

There was a Lincoln similar to this - these were Japanese-made (Kawai, I think) and had proper "Hippy Sandwich" bodies as well as the through necks. Those turn up with a million other names too.

A few more names from Memory Lane:

Shaftesbury
CMI
Kimbara
Eros
Sakai
CSL
Satellite
Arbiter
Jedson
Grant

Bloody loads of 'em!

J.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users