Why become a member? ×

Can anyone identify this bass?

brummie

I'd appreciate if any fellow BCer's could identify this bass.
It's a thru neck & has a brass nut and what looks like elaborate brass dot markers.
There's a sticker between the pick ups, I can't make out what it says on it but I think it's irrelevant anyway.
cheers

It's a Cort, made in Korea late 70s/early 80s, and sold in the UK as Kay, and a million other names around the globe. I think if you unscrew the TRC on this, it will probably have a Kay logo on the other side! There's one on the Bay right now:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330415794177"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=330415794177[/url]

Cort did dozens of variations on this particular neckthrough template, all of which are identifiable by the rather sexy triple brass dot inlays - I've seen Alembic-shaped basses, flying V guitars, the "Cort 45" travel guitar & bass, Washburn Wing series ripoffs.

Anyway I've had the bass version the same as this, very nicely-made instrument, actually had great-sounding pups in mine - in fact the sticker on this one is telling you it has "Powersound" pickups! :) . The only real problem (which is common on budget through-necks) was an unadjustably high action - saddles won't go low enough & obviously you can't shim the neck. I've seen some of these where the bridge has been sunk into the body to get it low enough.

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Bassassin' post='788495' date='Mar 28 2010, 01:43 PM']It's a Cort, made in Korea late 70s/early 80s, and sold in the UK as Kay, and a million other names around the globe. I think if you unscrew the TRC on this, it will probably have a Kay logo on the other side! There's one on the Bay right now:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330415794177"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=330415794177[/url]

Cort did dozens of variations on this particular neckthrough template, all of which are identifiable by the rather sexy triple brass dot inlays - I've seen Alembic-shaped basses, flying V guitars, the "Cort 45" travel guitar & bass, Washburn Wing series ripoffs.

Anyway I've had the bass version the same as this, very nicely-made instrument, actually had great-sounding pups in mine - in fact the sticker on this one is telling you it has "Powersound" pickups! :) . The only real problem (which is common on budget through-necks) was an unadjustably high action - saddles won't go low enough & obviously you can't shim the neck. I've seen some of these where the bridge has been sunk into the body to get it low enough.

Jon.[/quote]

Nice one!
It's pretty much identical, I took the control plate off the back but there's nothing on it - otherwise it's pretty much the same, a tiny difference between the dot markers.
cheers.
If anyone has more info I'd still appreciate it.

[quote name='witterth' post='788518' date='Mar 28 2010, 02:13 PM']A Vantage? possibly? still means a Kay Though.[/quote]
No - not a Vantage - all the through-necks were Japanese, made by Matsumoku.

Vantage was actually a Canadian brand, some of which got exported, which is why a few turn up in the UK. No connection with the Kay brand. :)

J.

There was a Lincoln similar to this - these were Japanese-made (Kawai, I think) and had proper "Hippy Sandwich" bodies as well as the through necks. Those turn up with a million other names too.

A few more names from Memory Lane:

Shaftesbury
CMI
Kimbara
Eros
Sakai
CSL
Satellite
Arbiter
Jedson
Grant

Bloody loads of 'em!