Why become a member? ×

Off topic - notice of deletion.

Kiwi

Actually, on that topic esteemed Mods, is it possible to customise BassChat individually so that areas of no interest can be screened out or hidden? TBH, my life would not be poorer without Off Topic and there are other sections I simply never visit (Groove libarary, some of the Affiliate forum). If its not possible (which I assume to be the case) are there any plans to change the site in any way which might facilitate this?

Technically its possible but we can only control access to forums by setting up a new class of membership. If we get a whole lot of requests for different permissions from different individuals, it would be very time consuming to set up, particularly if people change their minds frequently about what they want to see.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='822651' date='Apr 29 2010, 08:24 AM']Technically its possible but we can only control access to forums by setting up a new class of membership. If we get a whole lot of requests for different permissions from different individuals, it would be very time consuming to set up, particularly if people change their minds frequently about what they want to see.[/quote]
OK, fair enuff. Will just have to be disciplined and not get sucked into OT controversies which TBH are a complete waste of time and energy (noone ever changes their minds in the 'debates')

I'm glad you used quotes around debates.

40 pages of "You're wrong, idiot." "No, you're wrong..." doesn't qualify as a debate. It only barely qualifies as a conversation. I too will try to rely on will power Clarky, and by putting the usual suspects on ignore. Again.

LOL

Just don't go there. I know its tempting though. I see some topics that I know I need to steer clear of myself sometimes. I'd suggest its better just to focus on the things you enjoy and forget about the rest. Its just a webforum :)

I like it in there! :rolleyes:

I haven't got much to contribute basswise, I have only been playing about 26 or 27 years. The problem with the rest of the forum when you're out of work and skint is that it feels like it's full of rich people buying and selling basses that I can only dream of.

I think I need to go and find someone with less money than me and laugh at them. That will cheer me up!

:)

• 1 year later...

Oh great. I come back from the pub after a nice cycle ride to see the wonders of nature ie the starlings doing there thang down shapwick against a golden sunset with one of my bezzy mates with 4 pints of otters finest fluid inside me and I see this on the first page. It took me a while but I got there.

Haa bleedin haaa. Right Ill 'ave the lot of you. Outside now right. I love you your my best mate. Ive got 11 you know. Hmmmm diner jazz or freak zone..................

A

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1324250820' post='1472329']
Why?
[/quote]
I'm a Basschat member because I'm interested in music and bass guitars. There are a few musical threads in off-topic that I contribute too, but for the most part it's full of inane crap.

If I wanted to exchange poorly thought out views on subjects like public sector pensions and the euro; get needlessly worked up over made up stories in the tabloids; or slag off reality TV programmes I'd join a more appropriate web forum to do so.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1324254249' post='1472363']
I'd like to see a 'music off topic' and a separate 'off topic off topic'. If you see what I mean.
[/quote]
IMO most musical subjects aren't really off-topic. They just need there own area for non-bass specific musical topics.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1324298348' post='1472645']
I'm a Basschat member because I'm interested in music and bass guitars. There are a few musical threads in off-topic that I contribute too, but for the most part it's full of inane crap.

If I wanted to exchange poorly thought out views on subjects like public sector pensions and the euro; get needlessly worked up over made up stories in the tabloids; or slag off reality TV programmes I'd join a more appropriate web forum to do so.
[/quote]

Basschat inmates exchanging poorly thought out views on subjects like public sector pensions and the euro, getting needlessly worked up over made up stories in the tabloids or slagging off reality TV programmes are so much more entertaining than civilians doing the same though.

I don't know of any other forum where such a diverse demographic is represented.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1324254249' post='1472363']
I'd like to see a 'music off topic' and a separate 'off topic off topic'. If you see what I mean.
[/quote]

Me too - you do see some non bass specific threads coming up in general bass discussion and other similar ones coming up in off topic. I'd certainly like to see them all in a general music forum. Wouldn't have any excuse for venturing into proper off topic then which would probably improve BC for me.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1324298946' post='1472658']
Yes, that's the kind of thing I meant.
[/quote]
I was trying to avoid getting musical subjects that weren't expressly bass-related from being lumped into the "Off-Topic" ghetto.

Ped, Kiwi, there seems to be a bit of support for this - how about it?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1324311882' post='1472885']
I was trying to avoid getting musical subjects that weren't expressly bass-related from being lumped into the "Off-Topic" ghetto.

Ped, Kiwi, there seems to be a bit of support for this - how about it?
[/quote]
BRX, I think we're in agreement really, music stuff shouldn't really be in 'off topic' and so there should be a music forum beyond 'general bass discussion'.