Why become a member? ×

Is it better using the send & return on the amp..

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks,

just wondering if anyone has a view on which is the better way to use your Fx in a chain:

1) bass > compressor > amp > amp send > Fx > amp return

or

2) bass > compressor > Fx > amp

I just tried option 1) for the first time and to my ears, it sounded cleaner. But having done 4 gigs over the last 2 weekends, I'm feeling pretty tired so wonder if my judgement is as it should be?

My Fx unit is a Zoom B2 1.u, compressor is a DBX MC 6 and amp is a GK 700 RB..

Thanks

Nik

I've found that it pays to experiment. I've had amps that sound better with effects placed before the amp and yet I can't even do that with the TF which has to use the effects loop. My pedals sounded better in the loop of my H&K but the Tech amp sounds better with them in the front!

Not trying to be condescending but there is no absolute 'right and wrong' just go with your own judgement.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='87505' date='Nov 12 2007, 06:49 PM']I've found that it pays to experiment. I've had amps that sound better with effects placed before the amp and yet I can't even do that with the TF which has to use the effects loop. My pedals sounded better in the loop of my H&K but the Tech amp sounds better with them in the front!

Not trying to be condescending but there is no absolute 'right and wrong' just go with your own judgement.[/quote]
Good point! And I hadn't thought of that to be honest. I guess we're all looking for absolutes when it comes to our gear, music etc? I'd better do some experimenting then....

My general rule with FX loops is this... If it alters gain or tone, stick it before the pre amp, if its playing with the sound (i.e. delay, trem) stick it through the loop.

Although them other dudesw is right, there's no better way of finding out than to f*ck about with it for a good couple of hours until you work out what way is best.

[quote name='DrGonzo' post='87683' date='Nov 13 2007, 12:47 AM']My general rule with FX loops is this... If it alters gain or tone, stick it before the pre amp, if its playing with the sound (i.e. delay, trem) stick it through the loop.

Although them other dudesw is right, there's no better way of finding out than to f*ck about with it for a good couple of hours until you work out what way is best.[/quote]
That makes perfect sense to me!

Unfortunately, it isn't applicable in my case as I'm using a multi-fx unit for all those different things..

Here's a different way to approach the same problem. On most amps (unless it says) the FX loop is to all intents and purposes between the pre and power amp stages which in effect puts it after the tone shaping but before the master volume. If you now consider the pre-amp part of your amp as an EQ pedal an then think about where in your ideal FX chain that would sit, that should give you a starting point for what should go before the amp and what should go in the FX loop.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='88127' date='Nov 13 2007, 10:24 PM']Here's a different way to approach the same problem. On most amps (unless it says) the FX loop is to all intents and purposes between the pre and power amp stages which in effect puts it after the tone shaping but before the master volume. If you now consider the pre-amp part of your amp as an EQ pedal an then think about where in your ideal FX chain that would sit, that should give you a starting point for what should go before the amp and what should go in the FX loop.[/quote]
Thinking of it from that point of view, I would always put the FX after the EQ, which I use on the bass signal directly..