Why become a member? ×

Nothing But Problems Since Day 1

Graeme91

I have had nothing but problems with my 5 string since i got it. i have got everything sorted apart from a few things, on of my tone pots is making a scratching sound when i turn it but is fine when i leave it where it is, the other proble is when i am playing any or most notes on my B and E string, the amp is going distorted and even when i play lighter, or turn the volume down on the amp and or the bass, it is still distorted, is there anything i can do to fix these problems, bearing in mind im a noob and dont have alot of money and if nayone knows how much it would cost to get fixed that would be great. thanks :)

That was my first thought aswell but the amp was working fine the other day then me and a few mates came up for a jam session and now its just going really distorted so im maybe thinking ive blew the speaker or something along the lines of that but i dont know to be honest with you, one of my tutors tried to fix the noise coming from my tune pot by spraying some stuff on it but it couldnt be that that has made the amp go distorted either because it is used on loads of guitars, thanks alot though mate =)

Edited by Graeme91

A few things that can cause distortion:

flat battery if its an active bass can cause distortion

pickup height set incorrectly (pickups too close to the strings) - this isn't likely if the problem has only just started occuring, unless you changed the height of the pickups or lowered your strings

Faulty amp/blown speaker

I would suggest trying the bass through another amp if you can, to narrow it down. If its a blown speaker in your amp there isn't much you can do besides replacing it. If you were running the volume level high enough to cause the amp to make a "farty" noise during your jam (its only 20watts so most likely would have to, to be heard) then it could well have blown.

The golden rule with amps/speakers is if you hear distortion/farting from the speaker, turn down, as it will kill it very quickly.

Edited by Wil

That will most likely be it then because trying to get the bass to be heard over an electric guitar and a drum kit without silencer pads did seem like a bit of a mission haha, thanks to both of you, il look into getting a new amp, and maybe a better one :) thanks again people