Why become a member? ×

whats this cab like? is it good or not so good?

ergon

i was going to by a trace elliot cab but it has come to my attention that i am too poor instead i would like to go for this instead the Behringer ultra bass BA410 i will of course be buying a head of some sort but i haven't decided what yet, anybody got one/ used one? if so tell me whats good and bad please and if it's terrible whats an allternative thats affordable (around the same price of this kit on GAK) [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-ba-410/66593"]Behringer BA 410[/url]

[quote name='ergon' post='87044' date='Nov 11 2007, 08:55 PM']i was going to by a trace elliot cab but it has come to my attention that i am too poor instead i would like to go for this instead the Behringer ultra bass BA410 i will of course be buying a head of some sort but i haven't decided what yet, anybody got one/ used one? if so tell me whats good and bad please and if it's terrible whats an allternative thats affordable (around the same price of this kit on GAK) [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-ba-410/66593"]Behringer BA 410[/url][/quote]

IMHO I wouldnt waste your money on that, there's someone in the for sale forum selling a 2x10 and 1x15 trace cabs for £170 ish for both!!!

[quote name='ergon' post='87044' date='Nov 11 2007, 10:55 PM']i was going to by a trace elliot cab but it has come to my attention that i am too poor instead i would like to go for this instead the Behringer ultra bass BA410 i will of course be buying a head of some sort but i haven't decided what yet, anybody got one/ used one? if so tell me whats good and bad please and if it's terrible whats an allternative thats affordable (around the same price of this kit on GAK) [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/behringer-ba-410/66593"]Behringer BA 410[/url][/quote]
You'll get mixed reviews on Behringer stuff but for what it's worth my BA4X10 has never let me down sounds great and so far has refused to blow up.
I also use an Epifani 2X10cab with it (or instead of for small gigs) and there is no marked difference between the two in terms of quality. And yes I've used TE and a whole host of other stuff down through the years and wouldn't swap my BA4X10 for any of it.

Oh - I bought mine through GAK, as they were by far the cheapest, but by Jimminy were they slow delivering. It got here in the end though.

Edited by stewblack

i think i'm gonna be beaten to those T.E cabs anyway cos it will take me more than a month to earn enough dough! i had heard that behringer cabs are good but need reassuring, wont blow up is allways a good sign! would it be usable if i used a combo amp as a head like for example my Roland cube?

[quote name='ergon' post='87060' date='Nov 11 2007, 11:25 PM']i think i'm gonna be beaten to those T.E cabs anyway cos it will take me more than a month to earn enough dough! i had heard that behringer cabs are good but need reassuring, wont blow up is allways a good sign! would it be usable if i used a combo amp as a head like for example my Roland cube?[/quote]
That depends on the amp. Some have outputs for extension speakers but check what it says on the back of the amp, and make sure the impedances match.

[quote name='paul, the' post='87717' date='Nov 13 2007, 09:21 AM']Go second hand Peavey. Great tone and you'll get a workout lugging it about.[/quote]
I do have to say, as much as I love my Behringer cab, the Peavey kit I've owned is bomb proof in terms of build and reliability.

If you are poor don't buy new, It's a waste of money.
Used is fine. Cheaper and, should you not like it or upgrade, you'll get your money back when you sell it.

Check on here, eBay, local free ads, freecycle etc.

+1 for Peavey, 4x10 TX, 2x10 TX, 1x15 BW (Black Widow speaker) Watch the ohmage as they make 8 and 4 ohm versions and don't accidentally buy a 1x15 BW P.A. bass cab as it's different.

Trace Elliot do a 4x10 and a 1x15

Any of these will do.

[quote name='OldGit' post='87748' date='Nov 13 2007, 09:18 AM']If you are poor don't buy new, It's a waste of money.
Used is fine. Cheaper and, should you not like it or upgrade, you'll get your money back when you sell it.

+1 for Peavey, 4x10 TX, 2x10 TX, 1x15 BW (Black Widow speaker) Watch the ohmage as they make 8 and 4 ohm versions and don't accidentally buy a 1x15 BW P.A. bass cab as it's different.[/quote]
I'd go with this advice. Good second-hand is best. In this bracket Peavey would get my vote every time. In my opinion, I would expect Peavey to out last Behringer. I'd go for a 1x15 (black widow speaker) and add a 2x10 later (all 8 ohm). It's worth waiting for the right cabs to come along.

another +1 for the Peavey.

I've got the 115 BX with the Black Widow Speaker. I bought it second hand years ago and have just found out from the factory that it was made in 1993, I was also surprised to find out that I have the 4 ohm version, I haven;t decided if this is a good thing or not.

Anyway mine gets used at least once a week, and I've never had a single issue with it, not even a loose socket. I did have to clean the carpet with a clothes brush as it had gotten quite manky, and I've replaced the corners for the same reason, but that doesn't count does it?

Edited by gilmour

[quote name='Wil' post='87774' date='Nov 13 2007, 12:27 PM']All I will say is that when I owned a metal coned Berhinger cab it blew out after 2 rehearsals, and I wasn't driving it hard either. Total waste of money.[/quote]
What about the replacement they sent did that hold up?
The problem is each person's experience is different. Based purely on my own experience second hand Trace gear is total crap, falls apart, is noisy and the speaker blows and needs replacing, whilst Behringer sounds better and is built to last. Now I know that isn't true of all Trace gear - of course not, it is one person one amp. Taking other people's recommendations is a total waste of time it's what[i] you[/i] buy and what suits you that matters and there's only one way to find out.

[quote name='stewblack' post='87815' date='Nov 13 2007, 12:17 PM']Taking other people's recommendations is a total waste of time it's what[i] you[/i] buy and what suits you that matters and there's only one way to find out.[/quote]

Yeah and your experience is valid.
He's a beginner, Stew, so he's doing the sensible thing and asking us old lags for opinions.
The TE and Peavy stuff has characteristics and being cheap and going on for along time seem to be (generally) two oof them ..
Obviously is a used behringer cab comes up that would be an option...

Yeah Aestetics are important.

I forgot Ashdown. They make some cabs that will be around used a couple of 1x15's (different sizes) and 4x10's .. Also Hartke's were all over the place a few years ago so may be available too ..

Havn't seen many Yamaha bass cabs around but I like their gear and we have a Yamaha PA amp in the band that's fine.
I suspect they are all made in China these days :)

Just see what's around in your budget and then post here for an opinion ...

Also put an add in the "wanted" thread...

cool thanks! i've placed a wanted add, and i'll have a look around, i'm very sceptical about ebay these days as i've heard so many stories of blokes buying expencive things only to get half of what was advertised (in one case it was only half a motorbike - which i read in 'bike' magazine a while back-) however i'll look around on sites such as; GAK, amazon, Absolute music solutions etc. i'm quite interested in finding a yamaha cab or an ashdown cab (who i was going to -but didn't- buy a combo from instead of the cube at one point!)

[quote name='ergon' post='87950' date='Nov 13 2007, 04:49 PM']you are probably going to say "AND?" but i don't really like the aethsetics of peavy amps, what about yamaha? one of my mates has a 500w cab by them that looks really good, and generally japanese products are cheap and build to last[/quote]

IMO an old Peavey 410 with the spiky logo taken off looks very smart.

My old bass teacher used to use a MegaBox with the logo off with an Ashdown head. Very smart and lovely sounding setup.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170168035953"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=170168035953[/url]

[quote name='ergon' post='87974' date='Nov 13 2007, 05:40 PM']cool thanks! i've placed a wanted add, and i'll have a look around, i'm very sceptical about ebay these days as i've heard so many stories of blokes buying expencive things only to get half of what was advertised (in one case it was only half a motorbike - which i read in 'bike' magazine a while back-) however i'll look around on sites such as; GAK, amazon, Absolute music solutions etc. i'm quite interested in finding a yamaha cab or an ashdown cab (who i was going to -but didn't- buy a combo from instead of the cube at one point!)[/quote]

How many watts does your Cube kick out?

Edited by OldGit