Why become a member? ×

The Original Bass Institute (1980's)

iamthewalrus

Hi all,
Not sure how long this particular thread will float for, but let's see...

Having been a member of this forum for a while now, I cast my mind back to the late 1980's when I did a 10 week part time course at The Bass Institute in Acton. The Bass Institute was originally started by an ex B.I.T. student Tony Muschamp alongside The Guitar Institute (Alan Limbrick) & Drumtech (Francis Seriau). Tony wrote some articles for "Guitarist" & eventually "Bassist" magazine before becoming involved with JJ Hucke Guitars.

The course I did was the 10 week Intermediate course (2 hrs on a Wednesday Night) in 1987, & I was wondering if there were any fomer students or attendees on here from those days? I know Derek Baxter & Joe Hubbard later joined the teaching faculty before Tony moved on to starting the London franchise of B.I.T. at The Bass Centre in Wapping.

Anyone else on here?

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

I didn't do the B.I.T. thing myself though certainly remember all the names you mention.
A guitarist friend of mine at the time did do the G.I.T. for a while but I'm not sure for how long.
I think he felt everyone was coming away sounding too much the same. Send in the clones, so to speak! :lol:
I'm not sure whether B.I.T. was solely responsible for churning out so many slappers, though? :rolleyes: :)
On a similar note, I wonder did anyone else do Lawrence Canty's short course 'Reading For Bass Clef' at Goldsmith's College back in the early 90's?

[quote name='Stingray5' post='800286' date='Apr 8 2010, 10:00 PM']I wonder did anyone else do Lawrence Canty's short course 'Reading For Bass Clef' at Goldsmith's College back in the early 90's?[/quote]

I did not but my brother did,
and he loved it.

Remember BIT at Wapping very well.
I was always over at the Bass centre, it was a bit of a 'hang out place'
Always buying things i did not need!

Garry

I allways enjoyed Lawrence Cantys stuff (journalistic that is..) in "making music" a free, but suprisingly good magazine from music shops in late 80's ,mostly ads but come good copy!!
I think he wrote a kind of, buyers guide to bass type of book too(?)
(have I remembered that right?)
any way......

I did a 10 week intensive over the summer thing in Acton in '91 (ish). Was awesome. Came away from it & then didn't touch my bass for a fortnight though!

Was taught by:

The left handed guy who played with the strings the wrong way up? (Found him! Terry Gregory: [url="http://www.icmp.co.uk/teachers/bass-teachers/terry-gregory.aspx)"]http://www.icmp.co.uk/teachers/bass-teache...y-gregory.aspx)[/url]
Rob Burns
Neil Murray

There were three other bassists with me that I remember clearly, none of whom I can remember the name of!
German guy, 4-string thumb.
English Guy, red squire jazz.
Kiwi, beat up old 4-string jazz.

I did have photos. Seem to have lost them.

And i was 2 then......

I did however get to do my audition just before the school moved from Acton then did the 1 year diploma in Kilburn a few years back. Memory is a bit hazy for that particular episode......can't think why....?

Did John Curry and Paul Scott work there back then? Absolute legends, whereas that Dave Marks chap.....well.....

Rich

[quote name='lowdown' post='800907' date='Apr 9 2010, 02:40 PM']I did not but my brother did,
and he loved it.

Remember BIT at Wapping very well.
I was always over at the Bass centre, it was a bit of a 'hang out place'
Always buying things i did not need!

Garry[/quote]
The early Wapping Bass Centre was bass heaven - especially before the parking meters went up outside! :)

[quote name='witterth' post='800924' date='Apr 9 2010, 02:56 PM']I allways enjoyed Lawrence Cantys stuff (journalistic that is..) in "making music" a free, but suprisingly good magazine from music shops in late 80's ,mostly ads but come good copy!!
any way......[/quote]
Gad, I'm such a sad geek! :lol:
You've just reminded me that I actually have that guide book still, called 'What Bass' by Lawrence Canty and Tony Bacon.
Also still have LC's book 'How To Play Bass Guitar'.
I think I might still have a couple of copies of 'Making Music' somewhere too. It was a very good read, I thought.
They also did 'What Guitar', 'The Guru's Guitar Guide' and 'Making 4-Track Music' (and, yes, I'm afraid I still have those too! :lol: ).

[quote name='richrips' post='801083' date='Apr 9 2010, 05:39 PM']And i was 2 then......

I did however get to do my audition just before the school moved from Acton then did the 1 year diploma in Kilburn a few years back. Memory is a bit hazy for that particular episode......can't think why....?

Did John Curry and Paul Scott work there back then? Absolute legends, whereas that Dave Marks chap.....well.....

Rich[/quote]
I saw John Curry (Currie?) a number of times. Brilliant player and good bloke! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I attended the Bass Institute during the early 90's in Acton and took private lessons every other sunday afternoon.

Originally I had lessons with Joe Hubbard before he moved on and Rob Burns took over. I never really hit it off with Joe, but got on well with Rob. As well as the private lessons they arranged some great clinics. One was just for bassists and you had to learn a couple of pieces quickly and play them along with the backng tracks. One was the theme tune to Red Dwarf which Rob originally played on. Another clinic was with a guitarist and drummer. Again you had a to quickly learn 2 tunes and then play them with the guitarist and drummer (no vocals). The tunes were Heaven is a place on earth by Belinda Carlisle, and Good thing by Fine Young Cannibals.

Rob also got me a set of Reflex Reds as replacement pups for the original ones in my Charvel. He installed and wired them for me during a lesson. I remember Terry Gregory being around, and standing in for Rob at times. I also managed to take in a couple of gigs around the corner that some of teachers played in.

I have kept all my notes and use them for lessons I give now.

Great times and good memories. The Institute helped me a lot at the time and raised by playing.

Edited by mep
  • Like 1

I must be showing my age by starting this thread - I was 24 when I did that course!

I had a feeling that there would be a few students from the 90's on here, & I imagine that the course I did probably pales into comparison with the courses further down the line. The main things the course concentrated on was rhythm reading from the Louis Bellson book (Modern Reading Text in 4/4 time), arpeggios, the modes of the Major scale & some real finger twisting inversion stuff!

One guy I remember on my course was a guy called John Woods - he was the bass player for a Blues Brothers tribute band called the Boogie Brothers - I saw him play a few times with that band (last time was at the Hammersmith Odeon supporting the original Blues Brothers band from the film). I think Jaz Lochrie (bassist for Paul Rogers & Bad Company) also graduated from the full time courses there.

I remember Rob Burns & Joe Hubbard from the 2nd Bass Centre Weekend at the City of London Poly in 1988 - both top quality bass players. Tony Muschamp & Tim Landers were the other two bassists who did the classes over that weekend.

Those were the days!

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

[quote name='Stingray5' post='801133' date='Apr 9 2010, 06:25 PM']The early Wapping Bass Centre was bass heaven - especially before the parking meters went up outside! :)[/quote]

Yer - but that then ment taking the tube, and spending all afternoon in the pub around
the corner with other Bassist's talking about strings,Trace Elliot amps,the new range of Jazz Basses called Sadawsky's and the next Electrik band album.And who's going to Ronnie's :rolleyes:
Good days.

Garry

[quote name='richrips' post='801083' date='Apr 9 2010, 05:39 PM']And i was 2 then......

Rich[/quote]

oops.... did I do something wrong?

:-)

[quote name='Davemarks' post='802588' date='Apr 11 2010, 01:38 PM']oops.... did I do something wrong?

:-)[/quote]

Yes! it was grossly unfair of you to put Dr. Dre's song Housewife as the 'repetative r'n'b bassline' exam!! you knew i'd find it hilarious and pretty much drop my bass laughing halfway through.....

"You pimpin strong, but comin home, to sheets that be filthy"

comic gold!

r

• 1 month later...

I went to the one above the Bass Centre run by Tony Muschamp, loads of really useful music theory and practical advice went in one ear and out the other :blush:

Just did the Saturday 10 week course and was taught by a slightly scary guy called Silas Maitland who played bass for Geno Washington, also by Si Mulvey a couple of times.

Must have been late 80s or early 90s.

Edited by Fat Rich

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I attended the Original Bass institue in Wapping in 1990! I was taught by Tony Muschamp on 2 10 week courses he ran (i think it was an intermediate and advance courses). He was instrumental in getting me linked with the Musicians Institute in Hollywood CA which i attended later in 1991. Lost contact with Tony, but grateful for his input to my career back then!

• 2 years later...

I too went to the Bass school in Wapping (unsure which year). I remember seeing my first Status headless there that another student owned. I went for a year or two on and off and learnt to sight read there. It was a two hour trip into London but i really enjoyed my time there.

I did 2 10-week courses at the Guitar Institute, plus 10 weeks of 1-1 with an Australian Jazz guitarist (whose name I forget) sandwiched in the middle. That was '96-'97. Got around 90% in the final exam IIRC. I also did quite a bit of rhythm reading with a guy called Tony Scott.(I think that was his name...). Drove down the M1 from Northampton each week.

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1270821386' post='800924']
I allways enjoyed Lawrence Cantys stuff (journalistic that is..) in "making music" a free, but suprisingly good magazine from music shops in late 80's ,mostly ads but come good copy!!
any way......
[/quote]
Yes, on floppy paper like NME
I recall it well

BIT GIT KIT DIT
My only experience with this lot was having to deal with the endless splurge of tapping widdling sweep-picking tech heads to come from the Guitar bit.
Thank goodness most of them subsequently learned the crucial element of being a guitarist later: TASTE!

:D

I would have loved to go to somewhere like the Guitar Institute/Basstech (or their current incarnation, ICMP) but sadly had a more conventional/sensible career path.

Some of their celebrity success stories are a bit iffy. Would be interesting to know how genuine some of the claims of celebrity alumni are.