Why become a member? ×

Help! Stereo ouput on 1976 Shergold Marathon

Beedster

Hi all
I'm about to strip and refinish the old Shergold Marathon I bought a few weeks back (if you take a look at the current finish below you might realise why). It has one PUP, tone and volume controls, single stereo O/P jack, and a two way mono/stereo selector switch. When using a mono lead with the switch in mono position all strings sound. When using a mono lead in the stereo position only the G and D strings play and the A and E are literally not audible at all. I assumed that with a stereo lead all strings would sound and through two channels, that is G and D into one and A and E into the other. However, using a stereo cable appears to make no difference, that is, with the switch in stereo mode only the G and D sound whilst in mono all sound but only through one channel. As all strings sound in mono I assume the PUP is functional but that there's a dodgy connection somewhere? However, I took off the control plate a few minutes ago and it looks like a bowl of spaghetti in there, also, I can't get to the jack socket as the paint is so thick on the plate. So, before I start doing potentially terminal things with soldering irons, can anyone offer any advice on any further diagnostics I could (or comment on whether I'm doing something daft like, for example, using the wrong type of lead)?
Cheers all
Chris

[attachment=305:AUT_7208.JPG]

[quote name='Beedster' post='7705' date='May 27 2007, 05:04 PM']Hi all
I'm about to strip and refinish the old Shergold Marathon I bought a few weeks back (if you take a look at the current finish below you might realise why). It has one PUP, tone and volume controls, single stereo O/P jack, and a two way mono/stereo selector switch. When using a mono lead with the switch in mono position all strings sound. When using a mono lead in the stereo position only the G and D strings play and the A and E are literally not audible at all. I assumed that with a stereo lead all strings would sound and through two channels, that is G and D into one and A and E into the other. However, using a stereo cable appears to make no difference, that is, with the switch in stereo mode only the G and D sound whilst in mono all sound but only through one channel. As all strings sound in mono I assume the PUP is functional but that there's a dodgy connection somewhere? However, I took off the control plate a few minutes ago and it looks like a bowl of spaghetti in there, also, I can't get to the jack socket as the paint is so thick on the plate. So, before I start doing potentially terminal things with soldering irons, can anyone offer any advice on any further diagnostics I could (or comment on whether I'm doing something daft like, for example, using the wrong type of lead)?
Cheers all
Chris

[attachment=305:AUT_7208.JPG][/quote]

Hi Chris,

You're a brave man taking on that paint job!! Personally, I quite like it but that's probably because I don't have to look at it everyday..

I don't know much about this stereo wiring stuff but there's quite a lot of info if you google 'rickenbacker stereo bass wiring'. This is one example:

[url="http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/19502-b814d1f55075f2f3f08bd0d8f0b61312.pdf"]http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/19502-b81...0d8f0b61312.pdf[/url]

There's also a Shergold form which might help as well:

[url="http://www.shergold.co.uk/"]http://www.shergold.co.uk/[/url]

I'm still having lots of fun with the Mojo'd Sub 5 by the way. Hope all's well with you?

Nik

Hi, I had a fretless Marathon many moons ago but it didn't have a switch on it, if I remember correctly when you plugged into one of the sockets it worked like a normal bass but if you put a second cable into the additional socket the E and A string went out one socket and the D and G out the other.

Regard R.

I guess the first place to check is a separate connection for stereo from the E-A pickup (assuming it exists) with a multimeter. You'll have to make sense of the wiring though and then you'll need to test the solder joints. The only way to really wrestle with this kind of problem is to be very methodical and logical about the process you're following. Or take it to someone qualified :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='7783' date='May 27 2007, 07:59 PM']I guess the first place to check is a separate connection for stereo from the E-A pickup (assuming it exists) with a multimeter. You'll have to make sense of the wiring though and then you'll need to test the solder joints. The only way to really wrestle with this kind of problem is to be very methodical and logical about the process you're following. Or take it to someone qualified :)[/quote]

Cheers CK, I think I'm going to take the advice in the last sentence!
Nik, trust me, if you saw the finish close up, you'd change your mind. No joking, I think it was a Primary School project!
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='7809' date='May 27 2007, 08:45 PM']Nik, trust me, if you saw the finish close up, you'd change your mind. No joking, I think it was a Primary School project!
Chris[/quote]

After what you did with the paint job on the Sub5, I'm sure the Shergold will look great when you've finished with it Chris! So, do you still like the sound of the bass - seems to me like it's passed Beedster's critical 2 week test, which takes some doing?

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='7959' date='May 28 2007, 09:34 AM']After what you did with the paint job on the Sub5, I'm sure the Shergold will look great when you've finished with it Chris! So, do you still like the sound of the bass - seems to me like it's passed Beedster's critical 2 week test, which takes some doing?

Nik[/quote]

Cheers Nik
I'm gonna try and make it look like a Wal :)
Yes the sound is great, but I think it's the neck that really does it for me, it's like a cross between a good Precision and a Stingray, really solid but fast and a real plasure to play. The sound is pretty tight for a 30 year old bass with original electrics also, and it weighs pretty much nothing so it's potentially a good bass to gig. I'm going to have a word with John East at some stage to see what jiggery pokery we might get up to regarding the electrics, especially the stereo output.
Hope to see you at the planned SE bash Nik. Any luck I'll have a nice Wal-alike with me!
Chris

[quote name='Rumple' post='7735' date='May 27 2007, 06:35 PM']Hi, I had a fretless Marathon many moons ago but it didn't have a switch on it, if I remember correctly when you plugged into one of the sockets it worked like a normal bass but if you put a second cable into the additional socket the E and A string went out one socket and the D and G out the other.

Regard R.[/quote]

Cheers Rumple, somehow missed your post the other day. Yes, as far as I'm aware some models had two mono jacks whilst others had one stereo. I think otherwise they were the same. Did you ever gig or record it in stereo? If so, how was it?
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='8538' date='May 29 2007, 11:43 AM']Cheers Rumple, somehow missed your post the other day. Yes, as far as I'm aware some models had two mono jacks whilst others had one stereo. I think otherwise they were the same. Did you ever gig or record it in stereo? If so, how was it?
Chris[/quote]

I did run it through two seperate channels of the same amp a few times with a chorus pedal on the high strings, it was the 80's and it seemed like a good idea at the time!

One bass I wish I had kept.

Have fun with yours.

R.

[quote name='Beedster' post='8536' date='May 29 2007, 11:41 AM']Cheers Nik
I'm gonna try and make it look like a Wal :)
Yes the sound is great, but I think it's the neck that really does it for me, it's like a cross between a good Precision and a Stingray, really solid but fast and a real plasure to play. The sound is pretty tight for a 30 year old bass with original electrics also, and it weighs pretty much nothing so it's potentially a good bass to gig. I'm going to have a word with John East at some stage to see what jiggery pokery we might get up to regarding the electrics, especially the stereo output.
Hope to see you at the planned SE bash Nik. Any luck I'll have a nice Wal-alike with me!
Chris[/quote]

Looking forward to the SE Bash too Chris - if it ever comes together? The Marathon really does look like a Wal (or vice-versa) doesn't it..Again, hope to see it and you at the bash,

Nik