Instrument Cases - Your Options

114 replies to this topic

#1 slaphappygarry

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 04:45 PM

Essentially for full protection there are 4 options of cases going up in cost: Gigbags+case; Moulded plastic cases; Wood/aluminium flight cases; Military Hardware cases.

Gigbags:
Ritter - good quality, do a range of sizes so something usually fits
Warwick - as above, but less 'features' (phone pockets etc.)
Overwater leather - nice but very expensive at £200
Harvest leather - probably where Overwater source theirs from, £15 cheaper, but increased postage

Gig bags can be put in other cases such as the specifically designed SKB BassSafe if going on a plane that will offer a good amount of protection too.

Hard/semi plastic cases:
INCASE - from the states, consdered the best thing between a hard and soft case on TalkBass, they have no UK distribution and only use expensive shipping so Bleedproof was looking at getting a large order together, but that's not been mentioned in a while.
Hiscox - great UK manufacture, my personal preferance.

Flight cases:
BUSTERCASES.
www.bustercases.com
tel:0161 761 2040.
fax:0161 761 6040

Spider Engineering: Tamworth (near Reading),

Protech Sound & Light (1)
Unit 1a, Sedbury Trading Estate, Grahamstown Rd, Sedbury, Chepstow, Gwent NP16 7AD
Tel: 01291 630410

Military hardware cases:
Google explorer or pelican cases. Made from high strength plastics, these are very expensive but can be made air tight and will take any punishment and are usualy lighter that a flight case
MM Stingray 4
Fender Geddy Lee '75 Reissue

http://www.myspace.c...jectproductions
www.c-p-productions.com

"did you know 86% of statistics are made up on the spot?"

#2 bassbluestew

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 01:13 PM

Don't forget the legendary SKB Bass Safe................it's a steal at less than £100. Put your bass in it's gig bag inside and off you go !!

Great piece of kit and at timeof writing I've done over 200 flights with mine !

Both Easyjet and Ryanair have so far failed to destroy it, and when they do, SKB will replace it free of charge !!

S
Ken Smith BSR5GN - 2005, Quilt maple. A dream come true.
Epiphone Thunderbird - Arctic White. Mid life crisis bass
Ibanez Electro-Acoustic - black with cutaway
Main Rig
Markbass TTE Randy Jackson sig 500
Aguilar DB112 cabs x 2

Lots and lots of toys, most of which I have no real idea what they do or have the knowledge or technical ability to use them, but they ALL have flashing lights.

#3 Alpha-Dave

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 09:11 PM

:) Already mentioned (below Gigbags), but it certainly needed emphasising, as would any comments people have of gear the wouldn't survive.

For example, the moulded plastic Gator Range I'd be happy to take to a gig, but I wouldn't want to let Parclefarce get hold of one.

Edited by Alpha-Dave, 30 May 2007 - 09:12 PM.

#4 BassBod

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 02:14 PM

Calton (UK) - moulded hard cases,made to order and to fit a specific instrument. All the "acoustic" people I work with use them and rate highly. Expensive and heavy, but the best I've seen.

I'd also vote for the Hiscox - not too pricey but mine has survived countless flights and vans with only exterior damage - very impressed. I recently got a Harvest canvas bag (from Overwater). Very nice, seems strong but the back straps are set very high so you can't go through a door without taking it off your shoulder. I'll update in a few weeks when its done some work.

BB

#5 tayste_2000

Needs to get out more

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:25 AM

View Postbassbluestew, on May 30 2007, 02:13 PM, said:

Both Easyjet and Ryanair have so far failed to destroy it, and when they do, SKB will replace it free of charge !!

That is really saying something

#6 john_the_bass

Leicester Tester

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts
  • Interests:This, that and t'other

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:57 AM

View Postbassbluestew, on May 30 2007, 02:13 PM, said:

S

would they replace what's inside it as well??!

+1 for hiscox, you can't beat em for the money. I've got 3 that i use for electric and acoustic guitars and a bass and they're extremely rigid and light - much better than the gator one my semi is in and the current crop of fender moulded rubbish (the lid doesn't line up with the base on mine and the lining is falling out!)

#7 NJW

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Indie Rock. Basses. Amplifiers. Tone. Pro Audio. Microphones. Basketball. Fun.

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:07 AM

a (possibly rare) negative for Hiscox here. After two tours (one 12 day, one 16 day) and one international trip (flying glasgow -> NYC -> glasgow) the case was left useless. Two of the catches were no longer latching properly, the shell was cracked, and the hinges had started to come loose, and the lock had stopped functioning.

Before you say 'you obviously don't treat it carefully enough then' - On the same flight and same tours I took my backup bass in a regular fender issue hardcase. This case is still with me a year (and 3 tours) later and is practically as good as new, and received exactly the same treatment in load in/out etc.
Nico J. Weststeijn - Avast! | Stapleton

Fender '03 MIA Jazz.
Ampeg 1987 'Skunkworks' SVT #085 of #500.
Aguilar GS 410

My feedback

#8 andyonbass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:12 PM

Anyone know a dealer who stocks THESE?

I wouldn't mind trying one but cant find a dealer who stocks them, or has a price. They've all got the drum cases :)
ACG
EAD
ATS

Feedback Thread http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1507297

#9 NJW

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Indie Rock. Basses. Amplifiers. Tone. Pro Audio. Microphones. Basketball. Fun.

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:15 PM

If you ask any decent drum store/music store with drum stuff, they will be able to get you a price (if they can be bothered). I dont know about stockists though.
Nico J. Weststeijn - Avast! | Stapleton

Fender '03 MIA Jazz.
Ampeg 1987 'Skunkworks' SVT #085 of #500.
Aguilar GS 410

My feedback

#10 Lee-Man

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:06 PM

I had an incase, unfortunatly it was stolen along with my 'ray in November. I can't rate them highly enough, the only down side is the weight (especially once you fill the back pack bit with gig stuff).

I'd love another one, but they won't shp outside the US + shipping was about $200 last time!

#11 Sean

BB Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 09:00 AM

View Postslaphappygarry, on May 27 2007, 05:45 PM, said:

Protech Sound & Light (1)
Unit 1a, Sedbury Trading Estate, Grahamstown Rd, Sedbury, Chepstow, Gwent NP16 7AD
Tel: 01291 630410

I can vouch for these guys, they've done 3 custom cases for me over the past few years and the attention to detail is superb as well as the service; they will go through your exact requirements and make suggestions that I've found invaluable.

Ask for Justin...
Basses: Amplification:
  • Mesa Walkabout Scout 12
  • Mesa 400+
  • Barefaced Big Twin 2
  • Matamp 212
MY FEEDBACK

#12 chris_b

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 10:04 AM

View Postslaphappygarry, on May 27 2007, 05:45 PM, said:

Ritter - good quality, do a range of sizes so something usually fits

Well, I don't know if I've got a "Friday afternoon" Ritter but it was the top of the range when I brought it, at bout £70, and is now ripping apart along several seams. Looks like a flawed design to me.

If I had the dosh I'd go for a Reunion Blues Leather gig bag. The Overwater looks similar. I'll never get another Ritter though.
Lull~Lakland~Fender~Thunderfunk~Aguilar~Bergantino~Barefaced~obbm~Wolfcraft

People think I'm getting old! Watch out, I'm just getting started!

Wanted: Bergantino CN112

#13 alexclaber

Big Twin T - badder than you...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,547 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 04:55 PM

View Postchris_b, on Jun 24 2007, 11:04 AM, said:

Well, I don't know if I've got a "Friday afternoon" Ritter but it was the top of the range when I brought it, at bout £70, and is now ripping apart along several seams. Looks like a flawed design to me.

I bought a Ritter which fell apart immediately - fabric split at the seams. They send a replacement - fabric split at the seams again and the zip pull snapped. They sent me their top model, I've had it some time now but the fabric started suffering after very little time. It's so damn big though that I take my bass loose and keep a simple raincover gigbag in my general stuff tote bag.

Alex

#14 crez5150

It's black and it's Graphite!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:31 PM

View Postandyonbass, on Jun 13 2007, 04:12 PM, said:

Anyone know a dealer who stocks THESE?

Attachment bass_guitar_case.jpg

I wouldn't mind trying one but cant find a dealer who stocks them, or has a price. They've all got the drum cases :)

idrums.co.uk

#15 lonestar

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • Interests:My Band : http://plancband.co.uk/home.html
    Fencing, Music, Film, Food

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:14 PM

I really like Hiscox cases especially their liteflight ones

#16 Dragonlord

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:35 PM

View Postslaphappygarry, on May 27 2007, 07:45 PM, said:

Hard/semi plastic cases:
INCASE - from the states, consdered the best thing between a hard and soft case on TalkBass, they have no UK distribution and only use expensive shipping so Bleedproof was looking at getting a large order together, but that's not been mentioned in a while.
Hiscox - great UK manufacture, my personal preferance.
The Sadowsky Portabag falls in this category too. It's a lot like the InCase but lighter and possibly better designed. I have one and it's amazing. The total price including shipping wasn't that much either.
Aguilar DB924 for sale - pm me for info or check the classifieds section

#17 s_u_y_*

Guaranteed GAS free for 1 year!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:37 PM

I am still looking for the perfect case solution for me. Basically I want a bag that's perfect for carrying in the Underground during rush hour when soundchecks usually are. I believe the InCase does fit the bill, apart from the fact you can't get them in this country! <_< I have my Hiscox case, which I do like and has survived nuclear holocausts. But it's going to be impractical to carry it now I plan on bringing my Epi UL110 with me on the tube.

Anyways, this is what would be perfect for me:

-Obviously good padding
-Good support for pin strap at the bottom of the bag
-Removable straps
-Strong and comfortable side handle
-Well placed front handle, high enough so one can carry it and it will balance
-Enough space for a Mark Bass LMII

If I could design one myself, I would also include a side handle higher up the bag. This is so you could walk with the bag against your chest whilst walking in tight squeezes. You see, I end up walking with the bag held against my chest and my arm underneath the higher top pocket (if you get what I mean).

Anyways, I'm off to check out this Sadowsky Portabag. :)

EDIT: It looks really good. But can anyone tell me if you can fit a Mark Bass LMII in the Portabag?

Edited by s_u_y_*, 28 June 2007 - 10:40 PM.

s_u_y_*'s London car boot sale

1. Warwick Streamer Flightcase £95
2. Fender Soft Gig Bag £5
3. Fender Moulded Precision or Jazz Hardcase £85
4. Warwick Premium Softcase £7

#18 Dragonlord

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:55 PM

Sure, just give me some time to find the LMii dimensions.

#19 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:08 PM

I had one like this before: http://secure.sadowsky.com/store/product_i...products_id=155 it was really good and didn't weigh much at all.
Find us on Facebook and Twitter

#20 Dragonlord

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 06:38 PM

Well, just measured it... It might just fit, or might not fit by a little. My bet is it doesn't fit, but I won't be surprised at all if it does. I would email Sadowsky and ask about it, they might have tried it or know someone who does exactly that (I bet you're not the first one to think of it!).

#21 DanOwens

Complexly connected synth-bass fan.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

I use Undercover cover gigbags with all my equipment. I get them from BassCentral in the states which means you do have to pay shipping, but they really are great gigbags. The padding is excellent, strap placement is a little high but they do the job more than amply.

Check em out!!

DaN

#22 s_u_y_*

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 10:17 AM

View PostDragonlord, on Jul 2 2007, 07:38 PM, said:

Well, just measured it... It might just fit, or might not fit by a little. My bet is it doesn't fit, but I won't be surprised at all if it does. I would email Sadowsky and ask about it, they might have tried it or know someone who does exactly that (I bet you're not the first one to think of it!).

Thanks mate, I appreciate the effort. I did email them, but didn't receive a reply. It would be great if Mark Bass released a gig bag that would carry both a bass and the MB LMII, plus a few bits and bobs. emm... I might just email them about that.

Failing that, if anyone has any other suggestions for a good gig bag that would accomodate a Mark Bass head, do tell! :)

#23 kjb

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Location:A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
  • Interests:Music.
    Currently studying bass at ICMP in London.

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:29 PM

The Gallery in Camden are getting some Incase bags in, they should arrive end of next week, if anyones interested.
Sei Jazz 5 String
Aguilar GS210
Aguilar Tone Hammer 350

#24 s_u_y_*

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:11 AM

View Postkjb, on Jul 7 2007, 10:29 PM, said:

The Gallery in Camden are getting some Incase bags in, they should arrive end of next week, if anyones interested.

emm... how much they gonna charge for those badboys? Would they be the only stockists in the UK then? Even Europe perhaps?

#25 kjb

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Location:A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
  • Interests:Music.
    Currently studying bass at ICMP in London.

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:23 AM

Give them a ring later in the week, I can't remember what price I was told they'd be.
Sei Jazz 5 String
Aguilar GS210
Aguilar Tone Hammer 350

#26 hogman

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:03 AM

Bought one of those ritter double bags that you put your bass in from the bottom most excellent probabbly done in the region of 500 gigs with it. Weighs a ton with two basses but there you go. Have a Warick case that came with my warick its okay and does the trick but is abit flimsy. I like the idea of a leather case any one any experiences?

My flight case is great but never gets used so I supose I should sell it...

Any one want to buy a flight case ha ha

#27 ped

Général d’Armée

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:26 PM

Can anyone remember the place that makes aluminium cases with foam inside so you can cut your own shape? I want to get one to put my bass and XT Pro inside with the plug and in-ears, so I have it all in one case. The rack unit is really shallow so would fit in the gap next to the neck. The bass could even be angled in the case to allow more padding between the bits.

I seem to remember the place sold the cases for about £100, but can't find it now!
Find us on Facebook and Twitter

#28 Guest_TheBigBeefChief_*

• Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:16 AM

Just got my hands on a Gibson Thunderbird Studio 4 - comes with a lovely Gibson hard-case lined with white fur. I want to make love to a woman inside it, perhaps in front of an open fire?

The only problem is that is weighs a tonne.

Just tried sticking the bass in a Ritter Bass Gig Bag, but due to the shape of the T-Bird, the headstock sticks out of the top.

Anyone know of an extra long gig bag thats worth trying? I'd qute like something T-Bird shaped but I have a feeling that this is a long shot.

Any ideas?

Cheers

#29 bass_ferret

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:45 AM

Whatever gig bags Warwick put their T-bird shaped and Buzzard basses in would be a good place to start.

#30 Sugden

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 06:06 PM

As a suggested alternative to the incase slim bag from talkbass theres the Protec Contego Bass Guitar Case. Haven't used one but it looks pretty good and coming in at £85 in comaprison to £150 for the incase maybe more, and the fact tribal planet GX40 cases have been disscontinued, looks like a good buy.

PROTEC LINK

They seem to be coming into the Uk shortly: http://www.bill-lewi...tec/pt_fret.htm

Ortho I haven't enquired as to when they will arrive. Hope this might help someone, i'll be getting one when my wariwck case gets too bad it wont close.

Cheers

Sug

Edited by Sugden, 16 April 2008 - 06:07 PM.

ACG Recurve 4, ACG Harlot fretless 4 "looks like a Mediterranean ocean under and indigo sky" No bother putting an amp they change every day

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users