Why become a member? ×

Fat Finger

bassbloke

Have never used one myself but I do recall seeing a couple of favourable posts about them on the old BW.

They can be very good at eliminating dead spots on the neck if you have any.

Check out [url="http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit/archive/index.php?t-1369.html"]this dudepit thread here[/url] for more info

[quote name='dlloyd' post='7767' date='May 27 2007, 07:36 PM']I have one. I didn't notice any real difference to the tone of my bass so I took it off again.[/quote]

....me too.

Fatfinger (Groovetube) is just applying the Badass bridge theory to the headstock, ie heavier hardware will increase sustain and improve tone.

I think that some basses might benefit because cheaper quality wood and hardware might have been used, or you might have a specific problem such as dead spots , but better made or high end basses should not really need this.

Edited by chris_b

I have two.
One to wash, and one to wear...
(Really I'm just lazy!)

I like what they do to the sound/tone of an instrument, and they can help to alleviate dead spots a bit, too.

I use them all the time, on a variety of instruments, ranging from a Squier to a Vigier, Warwicks, etc.

Obviously, they improve cheaper instruments the most, but even the more expensive ones benefit a bit - mainly in terms of depth of tone.
I think I paid about £15 a throw for mine.

I had one on a 57 P bass a while ago, I must have it somewhere. Could flog it as a prize or something. I don't remember it having any effect really but the headstock of my bass seemed like a convinient place to store it in my little diggs at uni. I used the neck to hold damp towels and hung my washing from the strap buttons.