Why become a member? ×

Jap Precision

petetexas

Hi All,

Has anyone got / had this problem with a Jap Precision ( mine is a 1986 ) ......

Strings G , D, A all sound great, nice growl, nice definition of the notes.........

Bottom E crap, the notes are there, just do not sound as nice as the other strings, Ive changed string manufacturers ( Warwick, GHS, Rotosound etc ) but

it is still the same !

I don`t have this problem with my Warwick Proline Corvette ( 1992 ) or my Warwick fretless !

Any help appreciated ......

Pete :)

[quote name='petetexas' post='87728' date='Nov 13 2007, 09:54 AM']Hi All,

Has anyone got / had this problem with a Jap Precision ( mine is a 1986 ) ......

Strings G , D, A all sound great, nice growl, nice definition of the notes.........

Bottom E crap, the notes are there, just do not sound as nice as the other strings, Ive changed string manufacturers ( Warwick, GHS, Rotosound etc ) but

it is still the same !

I don`t have this problem with my Warwick Proline Corvette ( 1992 ) or my Warwick fretless !

Any help appreciated ......

Pete :)[/quote]

Had this with my 1983 Aria and it was the first sign of the onset of pick up death. I got a new one from Kent Armstrong. Not saying yours is necessarily the same.

I have a mij p pass from the same era and i havent had any probs in that dept, although i've just replaced the pup with a wizard thumper and it now sounds soooo much better than before. I think i read somewhere once that if you up the gauge of string it can help in that dept either that or raise the pickup so its closer to the string?

[quote name='stewblack' post='87731' date='Nov 13 2007, 08:13 AM']Had this with my 1983 Aria and it was the first sign of the onset of pick up death. I got a new one from Kent Armstrong. Not saying yours is necessarily the same.[/quote]

+I, if you've got a mate with a Precision, ask him rellay nicely whether you can borrow his PUP for the day to test. I had no idea just how much a PUP can die until I replaced the PUPs in my old Fender. Not only was there little definition on the A and E but there were overtones that were actually dissonant with the note being played. Whether this was the PUP or not was hard to say at the time and I was actually quite worried that the bass simply couln't be intoned correctly. I put in a couple of Wizards the clarity is now perfect and the overtones are no longer there.
Chris

:)

Hi All ( again )......!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions ,

Got a Wizard Precision Trad , fitted today, problem solved !!!!!!!!!!!!

What a company Andy has got with Wizard, highly recommended

I now have a better sounding Precision over all strings.

Fantastic !!!!!!!!

Thanks again to all :huh: