Why become a member? ×

whats the best 5 String

teen t-shirt

[b][color="#FF0000"]i'm looking to save my christmas money this year and by a 5 string i've done some research but am very confused about what type to get can any one give me any tips on what to avoid and what would be better for a normal 4 string player to advance too...

any input would be very welcome...[/color][/b] :huh:

sorry guys i've put some more info further down :)

Edited by teen t-shirt

[quote name='metaltime' post='87820' date='Nov 13 2007, 12:23 PM']yeah give us more info. But i feel you can never go wrong with a stingray 5 i love mine[/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree and there is a really good selection in the for sale section of this site at the moment, I guess they're just out of fashion! Also, don't overlook the sterling, people RAVE about those.

If you're on a budget, a yamaha or ibanez should be suitable for most things.

If you don't expect to spend over £150, I recommend a Harley Benton from Thomann; can't go wrong.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='87827' date='Nov 13 2007, 12:37 PM']FWIW- I shall be ordering a Clover 5 (because I cannot afford a C/S PRS V) in the new year as I need to go lower than E, but cannot be ar5ed with a D-tuner or de-tuning. So the 5th string will be a low B.[/quote]

You could always string your 4 banger BEAD?

Edited by theosd

as people have said, hard to help without more info. but i can reasonably assume that once you give more info, a lot of the advice will cange to 'it's a personal matter' - 'everything is of a great standard these days' - 'only way to tell is by playing it yourself' etc.

and this advice will be given because, to be honest, it's the best advice. it's hard to find a 'dud' these days. so it's down to personal taste, wether you like your sound hi-fi, bright, boomy, punchy. what sort of playability or feel is good to you isn't the same what feels good to other people. so if you can get out and try a range of 5's, then thats what you need to do. if your in a situation where thats pretty difficult. then give us as much info as you can about what you want from the bass, and we'll try and help you further :)

i play punk/slash rock music and my budget is probably gonna be around 200 to 300 pounds i reckon hope that helps a bit more...

i like to hear the deep notes of the bass really clearly so i can expand and make sure i'm hitting the right note but also i enjoy slapping walking solo's and definatly fast picking...

also it can't be too heavy and right now i'm at boarding school so the oppurtunity to go out and try some 5's is very difficult it will be around christmas before i get home and have a chance...

Edited by teen t-shirt

[quote name='Machines' post='88497' date='Nov 14 2007, 04:42 PM']For that budget, I don't think the Yamaha BB615 can be beaten, a smidgeon over the £300.

[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/yamaha-bb615/70814"]<a href="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/yamaha-bb615/70814" target="_blank">http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/yamaha-bb615/70814[/url]</a>

[/quote]

and here it is a bit cheaper: [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Yamaha-BB615---Pewter~ID~3876.asp"]http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Y...ter~ID~3876.asp[/url]

Personally I'd recommend getting one second-hand though, although my first 5-string was new and in that sorta budget

[quote name='The Burpster' post='87827' date='Nov 13 2007, 12:37 PM']FWIW- I shall be ordering a Clover 5 (because I cannot afford a C/S PRS V) in the new year as I need to go lower than E, but cannot be ar5ed with a D-tuner or de-tuning. So the 5th string will be a low B.[/quote]

MB1. :)

Clover?......I cant believe its not butter!

[quote name='theosd' post='87864' date='Nov 13 2007, 02:12 PM']You could always string your 4 banger BEAD?[/quote]

Its mostly for those "Tommy Shannon" moments and they (SRV and Double Trouble) just down-tuned a tone... I would have to leave one down tuned and would have to do a new setup and different strings and I cant be ar5ed.... And you kinda need the G string for thh twiddly idlly bits he (TS) does....

^^^Butter?? putty maybe... I've gotta play one before I decide.....

The article in in BGM this month is impressive but, the contact I've had with the company this last two weeks has impressed me a lot more....

Very slick ! !

[quote name='The Burpster' post='88526' date='Nov 14 2007, 05:14 PM']Its mostly for those "Tommy Shannon" moments and they (SRV and Double Trouble) just down-tuned a tone...[/quote]

Digitech BP-200 and use the digital whammy to pitch-shift down a tone. Easy... :)