Why become a member? ×

New Warwick Tubepath 10.1

wateroftyne

Hi folks

I bought a used Warwick Tubepath 10.1 head a few days ago (thannks, Chester!). It's a 1000w hybrid head, with all the features I need, and it also has a small switchable 3w tube-driven power amp immediately before the power stage, not unlike Mesa's Simul-state system.

They don't seem to be too common in the UK or North America, there's not much written about them on-line. However, all the owners I have spoken too have raved about them, and it seems to have all the features I'm looking for. I'm not a fan of their basses (sorry, Mr. Warwickhunt!), but their amps seemed to be a different story...

So, It's had a few runs out already, and I'm extremely impressed. I get a great tone with eveything flat, and a little bit of tweaking (literally a nudge here and there) really takes it to the next level.

There's no hum at all (see my earlier misadventures with a Genz GBE 750) unless I'm standing on top of it, the fan is whisper quiet, it's extremely well made (again, it's German!) and it looks pretty funky. Assuming you like bright blue lights. :)

The FOH chap says the DI sounds great, and on-stage it works very well with my Schroeder. It's LOUD.

Negatives.. not much at all. It's heavy - 45lbs, but it's reasonable for a 1000w head. It's not a bad lift, and it's only 2U. Also, the DI output is extremely hot - if the desk doesn't have a pad, things could get tricky. However, I emailed Warwick who immediately responded with a simple component fix. It's obviously something they're aware of. Also... Also... the amp's styling makes considerable use of the comic sans serif font. Odd choice! These are all minor points, though.

All the usual cliches apply: lots of tubey warmth, gut-shaking punch, growl, thump, headroom for days... and the best bit is that the used price is relative buttons. Not bad for an amp built in Germany! Why aren't these things more common? I just don't understand...

Happy days indeed!

Edited by wateroftyne

Thanks for the review. I've been looking at these but couldn't find almost any information about them. Great specs and some very interesting concepts. How does the semi-tube poweramp stage work? I'm looking to get a valve hybrid for my Schro 410L (that hopefully will be here soon....) ....aguilar DB750 is one candidate but very expensive... :)

Edited by carlosfandango

[quote name='carlosfandango' post='88004' date='Nov 13 2007, 06:37 PM']Thanks for the review. I've been looking at these but couldn't find almost any information about them. Great specs and some very interesting concepts. How does the semi-tube poweramp stage work? I'm looking to get a valve hybrid for my Schro 410L (that hopefully will be here soon....) ....aguilar DB750 is one candidate but very expensive... :)[/quote]

If it's anything like the way DHA do it, it'll reduce the output from 3w back down to line level which is then sent to the poweramp. Nifty way of getting pre & power tube noise and serious wattage for much cheaper.

[quote name='Buzz' post='88206' date='Nov 14 2007, 02:17 AM']If it's anything like the way DHA do it, it'll reduce the output from 3w back down to line level which is then sent to the poweramp. Nifty way of getting pre & power tube noise and serious wattage for much cheaper.[/quote]

Sounds like we are doing the same thing. The signal to the solid state section is from the valve output transformer where it drives a dummy load. This way the signal is coloured with valve output warmth and the super clean SS amp just acts like a flat PA.

The dummy load is important as this effects the tone as well. The dummy load is used to replace the valve driven speaker and using just a resistor will work but not that well as speakers also have inductance and capacitance. This means speakers sound different at different frequencies, resistors don't. We use a 3.5" speaker inside the VT5-400-Bass as a dummy load to get around this issue.

We have plans for 700W and 400W+400W stereo versions coming soon. We also do a version with no SS power amp (one already sold to a BC member) for use with a PA, an existing power amp or replacing a pre-amp in an existing amp.

What price is the Warwick Tubepath? Maybe we are seeing a new trend in bass amps, I hope so :)

Dave

Carlos & Dave are absolutely right. The output from the Tubepath's pre is sent via another tube to a 3w amp, which is then amplified by the transformer. It's switchable, and makes a great difference to the tone.

I'm only aware of the Tubepath, Mesa's Simulstate, and Dave's DHA heads using this functionality. It was a major selling point for me.

I'd love to try one of Dave's heads one day. I considered buying one when he first mentioned them, but I've had a class-D head for a few years now, and I fancied something traditional for a change.

Carlos - it'll be a great match for a Schro 410L!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='88254' date='Nov 14 2007, 09:31 AM']Carlos & Dave are absolutely right. The output from the Tubepath's pre is sent via another tube to a 3w amp, which is then amplified by the transformer. It's switchable, and makes a great difference to the tone.

I'm only aware of the Tubepath, Mesa's Simulstate, and Dave's DHA heads using this functionality. It was a major selling point for me.

I'd love to try one of Dave's heads one day. I considered buying one when he first mentioned them, but I've had a class-D head for a few years now, and I fancied something traditional for a change.

Carlos - it'll be a great match for a Schro 410L![/quote]

Very interesting concept I must say - hmmm.......need to look into this more carefully.

[quote name='carlosfandango' post='90111' date='Nov 18 2007, 07:26 AM']I got one!

I found an auction an evilbay and I got for almost nothing...they are £1,000 new list price and I got mine for £343! lot's of jam for little bread........hope it arrives soon![/quote]

Did yours arrive yet, Carlos?

I have been told that some Warwick heads are not that reliable and are easily broken. We was talking about the Pro-fet heads. I have had no experience with Warwick heads apart from a mess around in a shop with a Pro-fet 3.2 and i though it sounded good for its price. Anyone have reliability issues with Warwick stuff?

[quote name='BassBalls' post='94061' date='Nov 25 2007, 10:47 AM']I have been told that some Warwick heads are not that reliable and are easily broken. We was talking about the Pro-fet heads. I have had no experience with Warwick heads apart from a mess around in a shop with a Pro-fet 3.2 and i though it sounded good for its price. Anyone have reliability issues with Warwick stuff?[/quote]

I had a Protube IX and the only issue was a microphonic valve... easily sorted. Like many manufacturers Warwick amps are produced in various locations at various price-points and I'm sure there will always be stories of some problems but I've never encountered any tales of wholesale reliability problems with the brand (and despite my user name I don't use their amps, so I have no greater desire to defend them than I would any other manufacturer).

• 1 month later...

As you know I bought mine before Christmas on evilby and just had my first gig with it tonight.

OMG! It's MUCH bettter than I expected....I only paied roughly£350 and I m ust say for that money you can't get a better amp....1000w, great EQ, tubes.....very verastile too: I had an opportunty to play around with for an hour befpre the soundcheck and I could dial in all sorts of realy greast bass sounds....the tubes really made my Wicks come alive....anything from a great hifi slap sound to old-school warm and distorted tones.

I used it with my Schro 410L and its a really great combination as the amp has got the extra ooompf and headreoom to really drive the cab.

If you can get hold of one - BUY IT!