Why become a member? ×

Multi FX and Compressors (Zoom in particular)

King Tut

After lots of experimenting with different FX I'd like to seek some opinion on what you guys use when playing live - in particular your experience with the compressors included on multi FX.

I've got a Cube 100 that I use for smaller gigs - and I love the compressor on it - very unobtrusive - my favourite small multi is a Zoom BFX 708. The compressors on this, which include a few variations are all unobtrusive. However - this pedal is a bit delicate for me, as the in/out jacks are wired directly to the board and therefore vulnerable to damage. Going on my experince with the Cube - I thought a GT6B would be useful - again - very harsh compression imho - I didn't like my POD XT Live, generally, but the compressor on that I found to be very good. Then I had a Korg AX3000B - which seemed very similar in operation to my Zoom stuff (same company maybe?) - compressors harsh, but limiter better.

So I bought a B2.1.u. This is much more robust than the older Zoom, but has some shortcomings........You can only switch from patch...to the next adjacent patch - you can't find a patch - then push both pedals to select. Also you can't name patches - so you have to either list, or remember which patch does what - a big minus in my book - advantages - robust, tap time on the delay function.

I also find the compressor to be REALLY squishy and obtrusive, although the limiter seems to work much better than the compressor.

At 'Music Live' I was interested to see a bigger pedalboard - aimed at guitarists - on the Zoom stand - can't remember the number of it - I love zoom stuff as they seem easy to use , and they always track so well (octavers/synths) I asked about a bass version, but the guy on the stand - who didn't have time to talk to me, said the bass market was to small to justify a larger bass multi fx.

Rambling a bit I know but I'd be interested in your thoughts/experiences with Multi fx compressors.

[quote name='King Tut' post='88200' date='Nov 14 2007, 01:00 AM']After lots of experimenting with different FX I'd like to seek some opinion on what you guys use when playing live - in particular your experience with the compressors included on multi FX.

So I bought a B2.1.u. This is much more robust than the older Zoom, but has some shortcomings........You can only switch from patch...to the next adjacent patch - you can't find a patch - then push both pedals to select. Also you can't name patches - so you have to either list, or remember which patch does what - a big minus in my book - advantages - robust, tap time on the delay function.

I also find the compressor to be REALLY squishy and obtrusive, although the limiter seems to work much better than the compressor.

Rambling a bit I know but I'd be interested in your thoughts/experiences with Multi fx compressors.[/quote]
Hi Col

I have the Zoom B2 1.u and that's exactly my thoughts too. Squishy and obtrusive are good words for it or 'clunky' is the one I think of because it's not subtle enough in any way for a bass really.

Sounds like you use the Zoom much more creatively than me.. I set up my patches in one bank only, with the limiter on but I never use the compressor for reasons already mentioned. To be honest, I don't use the Zoom anywhere near as much as I should - I tend to use the amp simulators, the noise-gate and the limiter most. That way, I can change sound quickly... and easily! But you're right in that it isn't flexible in the way you described. It isn't easy to remember where particular patches are if you've got over 40 to remember! For the money though, I think the B2 1.u is fantastic for what it offers all in one relatively small unit..

In the end and after a bit of research, I bought a DBX MC6 compressor on Ebay from the States for about £35 and it's brilliant. It uses DBX 160 technology (studio standard), but is in a very simple unit and is easy to use.. They don't come up often but are worth checking out.. Only thing was, I had to get a new PSA for using it here in Europe and that cost me nearly £30 from the distributor!!

Nik

I had a Zoom 607 until last week. The resoldering job I did on the input Jack lasted 2 rehersals and then pulled the track off of the PCB.
I have a DHA VT1 Comp on order now, because that was the only effect I regularly used on it. The distortions which I used occasionally sounded thin and tinny to my ears, I now have a Behringer BOD, and BLE. (Bass OD and Bass Limiter/enhancer)
It is much easier to dial a decent sound buy twiddleing the knobs, rather than navigating a pushy button digital menu maze. Individual peddals tend to have more adjustability thanthe ones inside multi FX as well.

Will be looking for Valve distortion and synth pedals for Xmas now to build up small pedal board.

Moo.

Edited by Moo