Why become a member? ×

Chapman Stick

Deanobassist

[quote name='Deanobassist' post='88305' date='Nov 14 2007, 10:59 AM']hi,
I know this is a bass forum but it seems that alot of bassists play the chapman stick. I am wondering if you guys knew any where I could buy a chapman stick with in the uk. if any one is selling second hand.[/quote]

You'll struggle to find one 2nd hand in the UK. The bass gallery had one in a while ago, but it sold very quickly.

Your best bet is to get one imported from the US (stick enterprises), especially given the current exchange rate (it's probably cheaper buying new than 2nd hand). The one major drawback is the wait (about 12 months ish....).

Nick Beggs is also a well known UK stick player.

Good luck with the hunt.

Wil

I have one, which I'm considering selling. It's a 10-string Ironwood model from 1979. I bought it in London in 2000, and probably shouldn't have, but I wasn't sure how long it would stay in the shop. If you've played standard bass for years (as I kinda have), and think you can pick one up and sound like Tony Levin (as I kinda did), you might be disappointed. Still, I think it would reward a real commitment and plenty of time. It's not a toy!

It's currently here in Dublin, but I may be taking a short trip to England in January. I wouldn't recommend shipping it from here - expensive.

They come up on ebay over here occasionally but be prepared to pay a lot - because of the waiting list for new Sticks used ones are holding their value (much more now it seems than in previous years).

It's worth keeping an eye on the For Sale section on [url="http://www.stickist.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=index"]Stickist.com[/url].

[quote name='Stickman' post='88609' date='Nov 14 2007, 07:46 PM']It's worth keeping an eye on the For Sale section on [url="http://www.stickist.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=index"]Stickist.com[/url].[/quote]Whoa! I didn't know there was such a high demand. Even allowing for the high £/$ exchange rate, those are some serious prices. :)

I do love the stick, but I don't think I'd ever own one now, having thought for an age about shelling out. I am amazed at some of the great stick players out there, making the instrument look so damn easy!

I think for now I'll stick with the simple tapped moves on bass for now! ;o)