Why become a member? ×

Wireless system cuts out once every gig.

dave_bass5

[quote name='jonthebass' post='106426' date='Dec 19 2007, 12:27 PM']IMO I wouldn't use Wireless RF gear at all, unless it was the only option![/quote]

Why not?
With a good system the difference in the sound is negligible, no cables to trip over and freedom to move on stage to do a better show ..

In my case it's essential as part of my role in the band is to get out on the dance floor to balance the band during the sound check.
I also do loads in amongst the crowd at our gigs.
Using a wireless enables me to do that,

[quote name='OldGit' post='106456' date='Dec 19 2007, 01:04 PM']Why not?
With a good system the difference in the sound is negligible, no cables to trip over and freedom to move on stage to do a better show ..

In my case it's essential as part of my role in the band is to get out on the dance floor to balance the band during the sound check.
I also do loads in amongst the crowd at our gigs.
Using a wireless enables me to do that,[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. You are there to entertain and the wireles enables me to do that to a greater extent than a 6m cable.

[quote name='Sean' post='106469' date='Dec 19 2007, 01:30 PM']I couldn't agree more. You are there to entertain and the wireles enables me to do that to a greater extent than a 6m cable.[/quote]

yeah.
I find it quite and old way of thinking that a wireless system is second rate to a lead.
While a lead is a lot easier to use i hear no difference between a good lead and either of my radio systems once we are on stage.
Of course some systems are better than others for noise, freq response etc but in a band situation i dont find any of that matters at my gigs.

I also need to go out front at sound checks and my system is a lot more compact that running two 30ft leads.

Each to his/her own though. This thread wouldn't exist if i hadn't had problems with mine. saying that i have had crackly guitar leads in the past as well.

Fair comments guys and like I said if you need to use 'em for your gigs then fair do's.
I agree that there is no noticable difference between a good wireless system and a lead these days.
I'm coming from the angle that I work in the TV industry and specialize in wireless mic systems and am very aware of the problems that go with being wireless.
Hence my previous comment.
As a matter of interest what frequencies do you guys operate on?

[quote name='jonthebass' post='106575' date='Dec 19 2007, 04:51 PM']Fair comments guys and like I said if you need to use 'em for your gigs then fair do's.
I agree that there is no noticable difference between a good wireless system and a lead these days.
I'm coming from the angle that I work in the TV industry and specialize in wireless mic systems and am very aware of the problems that go with being wireless.
Hence my previous comment.
As a matter of interest what frequencies do you guys operate on?[/quote]

Ah right ..
Well I always have a couple of leads around as well just in case. Not needed one since I got the Sennheiser though.
I use whatever frequency the box decides to use :) It's clever like that.

[quote name='OldGit' post='106585' date='Dec 19 2007, 05:09 PM']Ah right ..
Well I always have a couple of leads around as well just in case. Not needed one since I got the Sennheiser though.
I use whatever frequency the box decides to use :) It's clever like that.[/quote]

Yeah, i use a long lead just in case the system goes down as well.
I can understand the problems in a pro situation like TV etc but for my gigs i have no trouble.

I tend to use 835mhz for my WMS400 if i dont have any trouble and my GB is set at 854.9mhz i believe.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='106612' date='Dec 19 2007, 06:04 PM']Yeah, i use a long lead just in case the system goes down as well.
I can understand the problems in a pro situation like TV etc but for my gigs i have no trouble.

I tend to use 835mhz for my WMS400 if i dont have any trouble and my GB is set at 854.9mhz i believe.[/quote]

Wow - you must earn well at gigs to pay for all those radio licences.

BTW when the digital TV switchover happens 835MHz (along with many other frequencies) is going to be taken over.
Maybe time to sell the gear while it's still got some value.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='107463' date='Dec 21 2007, 09:04 AM']Wow - you must earn well at gigs to pay for all those radio licences.

BTW when the digital TV switchover happens 835MHz (along with many other frequencies) is going to be taken over.
Maybe time to sell the gear while it's still got some value.[/quote]

I know about the switchover but im not worried yet.

what did you mean about the licences? I dont pay for any although i have been told it would be a good idea.
Am i missing something?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='107482' date='Dec 21 2007, 09:43 AM']I know about the switchover but im not worried yet.

what did you mean about the licences? I dont pay for any although i have been told it would be a good idea.
Am i missing something?[/quote]

+1
My unit has hundreds of frequencies so I'm hoping there will be a few left around that don't have Smashey and Nicey or QTV broadcasting on them.
and it it all goes pear-shaped I'll just have to go back to a lead ..

What's the TV industry doing about it?

Actually if it seiously affects us maybe you could start a new thread about what it means and what we ma have to do?

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='107482' date='Dec 21 2007, 09:43 AM']I know about the switchover but im not worried yet.

Am i missing something?[/quote]

Basically there is a License Exempt band that is between 863.100MHz and 864.900MHz.

Everything else needs a license of some kind.

Between 854.000MHz and 862.000MHz is called a 'Shared & Co-ordinated radio microphone' band and is an annually or bi-annually issued license.

All other UHF frequencies (Between 470 - 854MHz) are charged on a sliding price scale depending on the amount of frequencies and length of time they are to be used.
A basic license of 1 frequency (e.g. 835.500MHz) at a specified building for 48 hours is £24.

For the full info check out:
[url="http://www.jfmg.co.uk"]http://www.jfmg.co.uk[/url]

Regards,
Jon.

[quote name='jonthebass' post='107510' date='Dec 21 2007, 10:23 AM']Basically there is a License Exempt band that is between 863.100MHz and 864.900MHz.

Everything else needs a license of some kind.

Between 854.000MHz and 862.000MHz is called a 'Shared & Co-ordinated radio microphone' band and is an annually or bi-annually issued license.

All other UHF frequencies (Between 470 - 854MHz) are charged on a sliding price scale depending on the amount of frequencies and length of time they are to be used.
A basic license of 1 frequency (e.g. 835.500MHz) at a specified building for 48 hours is £24.

For the full info check out:
[url="http://www.jfmg.co.uk"]http://www.jfmg.co.uk[/url]

Regards,
Jon.[/quote]

WOW, thanks john.

Didnt know any of that stuff.

Maybe that's why i have not had any trouble with 835MHZ at all the places we play. In fact ive only had problems with the GB system that i guess is using the more common freq.
I always turn on the receiver and have the amp way down when i set up in case anyone else is might be coming through it. That gives me a good idea if i will be coming out of any other system. so far so good.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='107515' date='Dec 21 2007, 10:30 AM']WOW, thanks john.

Didnt know any of that stuff.

Maybe that's why i have not had any trouble with 835MHZ at all the places we play. In fact ive only had problems with the GB system that i guess is using the more common freq.
I always turn on the receiver and have the amp way down when i set up in case anyone else is might be coming through it. That gives me a good idea if i will be coming out of any other system. so far so good.[/quote]

Indeed a tricky and complicated subject.
I think a new Wireless/Radio Frequency thread may be in order, as suggested.
Will have a think about it and set it up soon.
Where do you think would be a good place to start from your point of view?

[quote name='jonthebass' post='107527' date='Dec 21 2007, 10:57 AM']Indeed a tricky and complicated subject.
Where do you think would be a good place to start from your point of view?[/quote]

Overview of VHF vs UHF with examples?
How the law will change, that licence point and when and where it will apply.

Ta

[quote name='jonthebass' post='107527' date='Dec 21 2007, 10:57 AM']Indeed a tricky and complicated subject.
Where do you think would be a good place to start from your point of view?[/quote]

good idea.

Im not sure where to start really.
All this licence stuff is new to me.
If i was just starting out i think it would put me off but i guess its better to know if you are braking the law (are we?).

I guess it would be good to clarify the difference between freq's and channels. That used to get me. and what to look for when buying one.
Freq response is also a good one but i dont think there is much difference in the lower priced units.

Other than that i cant think of anything off hand.

[quote name='OldGit' post='107490' date='Dec 21 2007, 09:55 AM']+1
My unit has hundreds of frequencies so I'm hoping there will be a few left around that don't have Smashey and Nicey or QTV broadcasting on them.
and it it all goes pear-shaped I'll just have to go back to a lead ..

What's the TV industry doing about it?

Actually if it seiously affects us maybe you could start a new thread about what it means and what we ma have to do?[/quote]

Started a new thread now with a lot of info for you Guys.

Regards.