Why become a member? ×

Wireless system cuts out once every gig.

dave_bass5

Guys
Ive been using a AKG W400 system for the past few months but at most gigs its been cutting out, just the once. I got it exchanged and the newer one does it as well. At first i would panic and just switch to a lead but recently i discovered it come back on itself after about 2-3 sec. And i guess its just a coincidence but tis always the second set.
Now, on this unit there are a few indicators to show if anything is not right like low RF, battery etc and none of these are coming on.
I do get low RF showing sometimes but generally not for long and not around the time it cuts out.
The only thing i can put it down to is that im only about 3-8 foot from the receiver at most gigs, most of the time.

all leads/bass's have been changed to eliminate them.

thanks for any advice etc.

My X2 cuts out at soundcheck when I am obscured from it - line of sight issue - particularly as it is on the pedalboard on a raised stage and I am out 'there' checking out stage projection/mix from the back of the hall and there are some columns in the way.

I have never had a cut out on stage though.

If yours is occuring regularly and you and your transmitter are not far way from or obscured in relation to your receiver , its probably time to get wired again or find something else. I cannot think of an electronic or transmission explanation of why you are getting a cut out.

Probably a stupid reply, but it worked for me! Mine cut out in the same song EVERY Gig, :) and it took a Roadie to point out why. The jack plug was brushing against my hip as I swung round to face the Drummer for his "noisy bit". It cut out, then did the transmitter 2-second "hiccup" as it re-connected, and searched for a signal again. I took the jack plug off, soldered a right-angled one in its place -- Problem solved! :huh:
Like I say, probably not the source of your problem but look at the silly/weird/easy/stupid things first, you may get lucky.

Before I got the rack unit, I had mine just sitting on top of my amp as well, with a couple of strips of gaffer tape to stop it sliding off. It didn't seem to make any difference to its reception. You've got me flummoxed now-none of my mates have ever had this problem in the past, and we're all waiting and hoping you find out what's causing it! :)

Im going to do a few gigs without the AKG, just in case its the amp itself. that would be horrible if it was though.
Ive got two gigs this weekend, ill do one with the AKG at least 10ft from me and the other without it and see what happens.

Its quite unnerving knowing it could cut out during any of the crucial Bass bits.

just a quick update. As expected the first gig without the AKG went fine, the second with it i had it cut out in the second set. just the once.
I also put it on stage in front of me so i could keep an eye on it. there were no error messages etc. in fact the display didnt show anything wrong.
oh well, ill use it for the less important gigs.

Edited by dave_bass5

I don't get complete cutouts but do get occasional volume drops for second or 2 with my Samson Airline. This can happen several times during a gig. The signal is still there just goes quiet.

Definately not a line of sight issue and tried all the obvious things, new batts, different leads, proximity to other gear etc to no avail. What's more, I cannot get it to fault at home/rehersals which is bugging the hell out of me. SO much so I'm temporarily back to using leads.

Wondering if it has the same cause as the complete cut outs?

[quote name='4001bass' post='95419' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:56 PM']I don't get complete cutouts but do get occasional volume drops for second or 2 with my Samson Airline. This can happen several times during a gig. The signal is still there just goes quiet.

Definately not a line of sight issue and tried all the obvious things, new batts, different leads, proximity to other gear etc to no avail. What's more, I cannot get it to fault at home/rehersals which is bugging the hell out of me. SO much so I'm temporarily back to using leads.

Wondering if it has the same cause as the complete cut outs?[/quote]

Well that sounds exactly like my problem. No error messages, no flashing lights, the unit doesn't go off so i guess its not loosing signal between the transmitter and receiver. The volume does go to nothing though for a few secs and like you i cant get it to happen at home (or during the first set). Ive got three leads for the transmitter and have tried them all with the same result.
The only thing i haven't checked is the transmitter itself as its on my strap behind my back. This weekend ill try and get it so i can see it somehow.

Did the two gigs at the weekend and the one where i used a lead was fine so its not my amp.

Another faint possibility - I've just had to open up my elderly Nady which was cutting out occasionally. The side of the jack socket had cracked so I think the spring contacts are loose as they're not being held against the jack plug - just need to find another of these wretched enclosed jack sockets...

It's not cutting out during Brown Eyed Girl is it? Could just be boredom setting in :)

Alternatively, if it's sat on something hot it could be overheating.
Alternatively Two, you could buy this at this super discount:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SENNHEISER-EW172-G2-EW-172-G2-INSTRUMENT-SET-BNIB-MINT_W0QQitemZ250194403362QQihZ015QQcategoryZ29949QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Sennheiser EW172 G2 BNIB for £250[/url]

Edited by OldGit

Ive tried it sitting on most things on stage with the same result.
strange thing is it didnt cut out this weekend. I only did the one gig but the difference was i had the transmitter the right way up on my strap. Normally i have it upside down so my arm doesn't hit the Ariel. Im wondering now if there is something loose on the transmitter. Its not the cable as it locks in and ive tried three different cables but maybe it is down to movement as there are no errors at the receiver end. Funny enough though we didnt play BEG that night either.
Ill keep trying.

I cant afford the Sen but would like one for Xmas please ;-)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='98329' date='Dec 3 2007, 06:45 PM']Ive tried it sitting on most things on stage with the same result.
strange thing is it didnt cut out this weekend. I only did the one gig but the difference was i had the transmitter the right way up on my strap. Normally i have it upside down so my arm doesn't hit the Ariel. Im wondering now if there is something loose on the transmitter. Its not the cable as it locks in and ive tried three different cables but maybe it is down to movement as there are no errors at the receiver end. Funny enough though we didnt play BEG that night either.
Ill keep trying.

I cant afford the Sen but would like one for Xmas please ;-)[/quote]

Does it have a stiff or floppy ariel? years ago I had problems with my old tantrec system ariel (the floppy one) and they sent me a stiff little rubbery replacement. Try putting your sender in your pocket rather than on your strap?

I have the same unit AKG W400 and it always cuts out during Peter Gunn Theme and never on any other song. I have OBBM cables and have checked everything but it's always Peter Gunn and always the AKG. It's actually only the first half of Peter Gunn too which is a pisser as it's the first song of the gig. I'm absolutely stumped.

[quote name='Sean' post='98472' date='Dec 3 2007, 10:21 PM']I have the same unit AKG W400 and it always cuts out during Peter Gunn Theme and never on any other song. I have OBBM cables and have checked everything but it's always Peter Gunn and always the AKG. It's actually only the first half of Peter Gunn too which is a pisser as it's the first song of the gig. I'm absolutely stumped.[/quote]

Ive got two leads from OBBM and both are working fine.
As this is my second unit ill maybe replace it with a different make next year. I have never had any trouble with my AKG GB system and that cost half what the WMS400 cost. ill use the transmitter the right way up for a while and see what happens.

Oldgit, its a small flexible ariel.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='98478' date='Dec 3 2007, 10:32 PM']Ive got two leads from OBBM and both are working fine.
As this is my second unit ill maybe replace it with a different make next year. I have never had any trouble with my AKG GB system and that cost half what the WMS400 cost. ill use the transmitter the right way up for a while and see what happens.

Oldgit, its a small flexible ariel.[/quote]

BEG and Peter Gunn?
Sounds like your guitarists have been fiddling with the unit's taste filter :)

I think the flexible ariels can get little breaks in them but it doesn't explain why they should always cut out during the same song ...
So that's two players and three units that cut out ... Guys, take them back, get a refund and get a different make

Edited by OldGit

Im going to give it two more gigs and if its still doing it then ill think about something else.
I have tried shaking everything but i dont even get a crackle. And its never cut out at home, sound check or first set.
I really only got it so i can sound check the band from out front as we dont have a sound guy
But i must admit i find using a cable a bit uncomfortable now. I use the GB with my other band and although i have no trouble with it i have clashed with the odd DJ as it only has a single freq. when we got the Holiday camp gigs in i knew i would need more freqs as they use radio mics as well. for this it worked fine (other than cutting out).

Edited by dave_bass5

just a quick update.
2 gigs now with no problems. the only difference is im now using the transmitter up the right way. In fact at the last gig i had it hooked to my back pocket.
fingers crossed for this weekend.

tayste, if my system clips i get a red display warning. not had any of that.

Ok, this is an old thread so ill make one last post.
4 gigs in a row now with no cut out. Ever since i took the transmitter off the strap its been ok.
Im going to try and put ti back but up the right way for the next few gigs and see what happens.
Could just be coincidence but its looking hopeful.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='105266' date='Dec 17 2007, 11:46 AM']Ok, this is an old thread so ill make one last post.
4 gigs in a row now with no cut out. Ever since i took the transmitter off the strap its been ok.
Im going to try and put ti back but up the right way for the next few gigs and see what happens.
Could just be coincidence but its looking hopeful.[/quote]

Weird!
Try one of these?
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_wireless_holder.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_wireless_holder.htm[/url]

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='105281' date='Dec 17 2007, 12:24 PM']Weird!
Try one of these?
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_wireless_holder.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_wireless_holder.htm[/url][/quote]

Thanks.

I think my problem was i had the transmitter upside down on my strap and so maybe i was somehow shaking the battery lose or
something like that. im going to try it up the right way for a couple of gigs before i spend any more money.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='105288' date='Dec 17 2007, 12:35 PM']Thanks.

I think my problem was i had the transmitter upside down on my strap and so maybe i was somehow shaking the battery lose or
something like that. im going to try it up the right way for a couple of gigs before i spend any more money.[/quote]

Ok, Let us know
OG