Why become a member? ×

Warwick Corvette Vs Jazz Bass

fender73

right folks, the budget is £600 and i need a new bass (once my Clapton Strat is sold!)

I fancy a the Warwick as the body looks slightly smaller,.......but i love Jazzes but find the body too big??

Advice/alternatives please?????

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by fender73

[quote name='fender73' post='88666' date='Nov 14 2007, 09:31 PM']right folks, the budget is £600 and i need a new bass (once my Clapton Strat is sold!)

I fancy a the Warwick as the body looks slightly smaller,.......but i love Jazzes but find the body too big??

Advice/alternatives please?????

Cheers

Graeme[/quote]

corvette $$

No worries.

You're unfortunately comparing chalk with cheese. So I fear that trying to make valid comparisons is kind of limited; were it a Lakland V Fender!

As for choices I'd have to concur I much prefer the aesthetics of the Corvette and the big old slab of wood that is a Jazz is just toooo much. I will temper that by saying I do love the sound of a decent Jazz and they do look great, I just can't get away with playing them and they were my first and only love for about the first 10 years of my playing life. The Corvette range also have a variety of pups whereas a Jazz... is a Jazz (not knocking it). Though a Jazz is pretty versatile the Corvette range gives you more scope.

I agree with the 'ckhunt above - they're so far apart, it's just not debatable. Have you spent time playing either of these? Sounds like you need to get a much better idea of the type of sound/feel/looks you want before spending that amount of money. I'd suggest you pick up more expensive basses too as you can always look second-hand. When a Warwick is involved, don't forget to strap it on and play standing up when you try any out as, depending on your preferred playing position, they can neck-dive due to the smaller bodies/peculiar angled or length horns/heavy wenge necks.

I've got a US Jazz and a Corvette $$. They're completely different animals.

As people have said, you really need to play both. The Jazz does have a bulky body, but surprisingly, my Corvette is no lighter than the Jazz.

The necks really could not be more different. The Corvette is a typical chunky Warwick neck. Personally I think its great, but if you are used to a narrow Jazz neck it will feel very different. Its not just the size of the neck - the wenge on the Warwick has a very ''woody'' feel. A real contrast to the glossy maple necks on a Jazz. Again, impossible to say one is better than the other, but you do need to play them to find out which is best for you.

For my part I find the Corvette $$ is incredibly versatile, comfortable, and will suit pretty much any genre. If I could only keep one it would be the Corvette. But the Jazz has a classic look and sound. Horses for courses...

Thanks all - I've played and owned a fair few jazzes, but as originally stated, i find the body too large. I've had a Warwick streamer and liked that and preferred it to the Jaydees/statuses i'd owned over the years. I have tomorrow off work so will be out and about trying a few out

Cheers

Graeme

Never owned a corvette (Have played a few) but I have a couple of Streamers and a Specctor CRFM.

Also have a jazz 4 but recently bought an American deluxe jazz 5.

Much as I love the jazz sound I have to say, for me, no jazz I've yet played comes near to the feel and sound of a Warwick and the Spector is the best sounding bass I own. (The Spector has a U-retro though, massive sound range!!)

Anyway, the main point of my post is this....The body on this USA deluxe is a fair bit smaller than the standard fender jazz body - might be worth considering if you like the basic jazz shape, look and feel but want a smaller bodied one?

Frank