Why become a member? ×

active to passive , is it possible ?

suhinaffy

i have a schecter stilleto diamond bass , i got sick of the sound of the 2 band eq so tried changing to p bass style pickups but it still doesnt sound great , i have a p bass style hohner that i really like the sound of and i was wondering if i would be able to strip everything i dont need out of the schecter and use the remaining components to make some kind of basic p bass setup .
I have the wiring diagrams , what i want to know is will it work if its set up like this ...

here's how the original looks ,

If the pickups themselves are active (rather than passive pups hooked up to an active eq) then they will probably be too low in output.

Someone else local to me had the same problem and i thought getting some passive Wilkinson soapbars off eBay would be a good idea. They can be wired in series/parallel i think, handy as you'll have 2 holes in your bass if you go passive!

Someone more knowledgeable will be along soon to clarify no doubt!

Cheers for the advice , i have two sets of pickups to choose from , the original schecter ones and a pair of p bass singlecoil pickups . also i have tried wiring one of the schecter pickups to a jack and it worked ok , really i just wanted to know if the setup in the first picture would work or if there was any additional wiring i needed to do ?

Check the value of the blend control - as *usually* active electronic circuits will have much lower pot values. I'm really surprised actually to see a 250K volume pot after an active circuit. EMG for example use 25K or 50K for volume and pan controls. 250K per track *may* be ok - but hard to guesstimate as I am not familiar with the Schecter circuit.

[quote name='dood' post='816032' date='Apr 23 2010, 11:56 AM']Check the value of the blend control - as *usually* active electronic circuits will have much lower pot values. I'm really surprised actually to see a 250K volume pot after an active circuit. EMG for example use 25K or 50K for volume and pan controls. 250K per track *may* be ok - but hard to guesstimate as I am not familiar with the Schecter circuit.[/quote]

I tried wiring it up today but must've done it wrong as there was no sound so i decided just to wire it up with just the one volume pot and it works fine and sounds good too .

Cheers for the reply , i was wondering why it didnt work when i connected it all up . I thought i must've done something wrong . I have now finished wiring it up i think ...

this is my latest setup and it sounds good, all i need now is some screws to hold the pickups in place as they're hitting the strings and preventing me from getting a proper play of it .