Why become a member? ×

High end bass combos

Aussiephoenix

Hey, please forgive me if this is a repost, I did do a quick search but didnt find what I wanted.

The Idea is:

At the moment I feel my Rig is just taking up space, and there's nothing I do with it to justify the output it has and space it takes up.

Though I do love its sound. Here it is:

Mark Bass Little Mark F-Series Limited Edition
EBS Proline 2000 4 x 10"

So, I'm considering selling this and getting a nice combo.

I've had an EBS GORM 2x10 before, and though it was nice, it didnt have much low end, and it was way too bright for me.

The Markbass + Ebs gives me the perfect balance for me, as the MB head is somewhat darker than the EBS HD350, but the cab lets out a lot of power.

I'm looking for something mid/high end, quality sound, not stupidly expensive, along the same kind of lines as what I have now, but lighter and easier to get around, and with PA output, just in case.
Should be enough to handle small/medium gigs.

I like to be able to get a sound that is deep, but has clarity. dont like farting amps, I like definition and power in one. Think Sadowsky, nice and tight lows and a nice enough snap on the high end.
Lets start by what I DONT want:
AMPEG, TRACE, Ashdown, Warwick, etc.

[quote name='ped' post='88942' date='Nov 15 2007, 02:02 PM']SWR Redhead? Apart from the weight criteria, I think you are ruling out a few amplifiers that get the sound you want by not wanting a Trace, Ampeg or Warwick.[/quote]

Well, I could be generalizing it, but I've never liked the sound of an Ampeg or a trace. and Warwick to me doesnt sound bad, but it doesnt sound good either... its... a sterile sound. Ampeg eats up highs, and trace is a fart machine that I usually associate with oldie rock.

yes, the "ETCS" are terrible too. lol

Can I suggest you keep the head (I've got one... awsome bit of kit) and match it with a MB Traveller 102p. Only 14 kg and loads of tone.
Stacks on it's end perfectly for the small footprint you are after.
I use this for rehearsals (adding the 15" MB cab for gigs) and still overpower our very loud drummer with his Tama kit.

[quote name='The Funk' post='89040' date='Nov 15 2007, 05:56 PM']There's always the [url="http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_mb_co_150s.html"]1x12 Gallien-Krueger Micro Bass combo[/url].[/quote]

Actually, thats really nice, a friend of mine has that and the extension cab.
Sounds great... maybe a little underpowered for what I want but in terms of portability, thats exactly the kind of thing I'd be looking for.

[quote name='Musky' post='89041' date='Nov 15 2007, 05:58 PM']Since you like Markbass maybe the 121H might be worth a try.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5484"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5484[/url][/quote]

Holy crap... 400w? in that!? if I could only try one out locally... I wonder if the single 12" is enough for all that power...

wotnwhy , actually, thats something that I had thought of... apart from shroeder, are there any other options for that kind of setup?

Edited by Aussiephoenix

Thanks Aussie for this thread because I've been thinking along these lines myself.

I've just commited every spare penny I have to buying a rather fine piece of wood from BassBod otherwise I would be looking very closely at the Markbass 121H. That looks the business if you ask me.

Lets throw EA into the mix here too...

I used a [url="http://www.overwater.co.uk/euphonic_audio_iamp_200_wz.htm"]EA iAmp 200[/url] for over 4 years - compact, lightweight, small footprint, good connectivity, big clean sound but with good eq options so you can tweak to your hearts content.

If you want small - check out the EA Micro 300 head [url="http://www.overwater.co.uk/euphonic_audio_iamp_m300.htm"]here[/url] and pair it with any cab you like...

Only reason i changed was to introduce a valve pre into my set up and try the whole separates thing as I'd never done it before :)

I think there is a point to be made here -

I have an Eden Metro and love it - it is versatile (jazz, funk, lating, rock), the eq is fantastic, it is loud enough for anything I have asked of it (if it had to be louder than I have it, there would be a full rig/PA). People I play with compliment me on the sound etc. It's a winner every time.

But its heavy.

This matters when I put it in the car and when I take it out. It has wheels so I push it everywhere else. THis is a problem when we have kerbs, steps, grass or gravel to contend with but this is usually resolved with the help of a colleague/another muso. In a nutshell, its not THAT big a deal.

I could, of course, get a smaller combo. Lots of jazzers talk about the GK combos etc but I have had one of them (I also have an SWR Electric Blue head and a seperate cab ) and, whilst they are 'adequate', they don't really deliver satisfactorily over all frequenceies and there is no real bottom end. You'd get away with it in a trio but not with a big bnad or a rock/funk/latin outfit.

My point is, we are in the business of sound and should NEVER compromise on the tools we need to make those sounds as good as possible. If anyone knows of a combo that sounds as good as the Metro but is a quarter of the weight, then let me know. I haven't met it yet! To compromise your sound just for an easy ride is a cop out and, in my view, indefensible (disabilities excluded). I know loads of musos who turn up at gigs with second rate gear and, what do you kjnow, they sounds second rate.

Get a Metro and a sack trolley!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='89374' date='Nov 16 2007, 01:33 PM']My point is, we are in the business of sound and should NEVER compromise on the tools we need to make those sounds as good as possible.[/quote]

You make a very valid point... its made me think if I want to give up the rig I have as I'm quite happy with it.

The weight thing comes from when I had the said GORM combo, back in my parents place, and I had to carry it Up and down 4 floors, with a gigbag on my back... no elevator. trust me, it was a great workout, lol.

Quite a difficult situation to be in mate. As my own combo weighs about 100ib, I thought I would get one of these: [url="http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/truck-best-garden-trolley-there-p-17.html"]http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/truck-bes...there-p-17.html[/url] I remember trying one whilst helping a friend move house ages ago and it really did cope with stairs well. Having just had a mega operation on my back I will not be buying one any time soon, but Kiwi is I think, so maybe he will be kind enough to do us a review.

ped

[quote name='Aussiephoenix' post='89433' date='Nov 16 2007, 02:47 PM']You make a very valid point... its made me think if I want to give up the rig I have as I'm quite happy with it.

The weight thing comes from when I had the said GORM combo, back in my parents place, and I had to carry it Up and down 4 floors, with a gigbag on my back... no elevator. trust me, it was a great workout, lol.[/quote]

Have you tried lifting the GORM Neo? I think you may be more than surprised!