Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Rivoli Bridge Problem

brucie286

Hi, this is my first post so be gentle with me!

Just bought an Epiphone Rivoli last week. Mid 90's single pick-up model. I noticed when the strings were off that one of the bits that the bridge post screws into the body (sorry if incorrect terminology) was not flush to body like the other one. It was the E string end of the bridge and only a couple of mm or so raised up, but when I re-strung it I swear the gap has got larger.

Obviously it is meant to be flush with the body, but should I worry about it? Over time will it work the whole in the body to a size where it is loose? Should I get it sorted now?

It doesn't affect the sound, It's just that I don't want to ruin it by not getting it sorted.

Any comments or thoughts on hoe to sort this would be appreciated.

Cheers, Nick

The "things that the posts screw into" (i can't think what you call them at the moment either) at the back of the 3 point bridge on my Epi EB-3 rise up a mm (maybe not even that much) under string tension. I suspect it's always been like that and that's 4 years. It is annoying though. I tried to glue them in but it didn't work. Oh well. They're at least 15mm long, so i suppose a 1/15 of them poking up isn't going to make a hell of a lot of difference.

You could try wedging them by either some substance in the hole that bonds wood AND metal, or adding some thin material to the hole and putting the post back in, wedging it. Smack of patch up job though. The only true way to fix it would be to plug the holes and redrill to an [i]appropriate[/i] size.

Is it a ferrule? Anyway, someone had a loose one on some cheapy guitar, I put a strip of paper in the holeand pushed it back in, just a bit more thickness to jam it in, seemed to sort it. If the the screw itself is wobbly, rub candle against it then heat it up so the wax melts in the grooves before you screw back in, makes it feel tighter.