Why become a member? ×

Gig Bags

Bilbo

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='91523' date='Nov 20 2007, 03:08 PM']Driving so fast that you roll your car is not what I would call taking care of [i]yourself[/i] never mind your instrument!! :huh: Hard cases are overrated! :huh: I have one for each bass and guitar I have. I use them for guitars (acoustic and semi-acoustic) because they ARE fragile :) but the bass is not going to get damaged unless I accidently leave it under the wheels of my car. As I always check the contents of the vehicle before I drive off, this is unlikely.... :huh:[/quote]
Contrary to popular opinion you dont have to go fast to roll a car. One was caused by a front tyre blow out and one was caused by driving over the dead body of a driver who was thrown out of his car and under my wheels. Of course you may be a smug bastard who thinks they dont drive fast enough to have an accident but you may be unfortunate enough to be wrong.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='91733' date='Nov 20 2007, 07:29 PM']Contrary to popular opinion you dont have to go fast to roll a car. One was caused by a front tyre blow out and one was caused by driving over the dead body of a driver who was thrown out of his car and under my wheels. Of course you may be a smug bastard who thinks they dont drive fast enough to have an accident but you may be unfortunate enough to be wrong.[/quote]

Woooh .. that must have been traumatic.
Life really is too short ....

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='91869' date='Nov 20 2007, 10:23 PM']Thanks Simon - its not something to have on list of things to do.....

The inquest was a barrel of laughs as well.[/quote]

I bet.

That's an awful experience.

I always feel sorry for train drivers when people choose their train to jump under.
I guess it must have been something like that.

Sorry mate. Not a lot I can say to that really.

I'll still 'risk' it with my gig bag, tho'. There will always be nasty stories but, as is always the case when you walk out of the front door, it is reasonable to look at probabilities and, my experience tells me, that the 'risk' of damaging my bass by not using a hard case is minimal.

[quote name='OldGit' post='91707' date='Nov 20 2007, 07:09 PM']Hard case £40, delivered. Thats two sets of strings or, what, 6 pints of beer?
[url="http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/music/typeproducts2.asp?id=3948-3980"]http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/music/...sp?id=3948-3980[/url]
Daft not to, really[/quote]

I wouldn't pay £40 for 6 pints of beer! But then, i'm broke and don't go out. Ta for the link, i'll get a couple of them when I get my f*ckin insurance check!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='91997' date='Nov 21 2007, 09:17 AM']I wouldn't pay £40 for 6 pints of beer! But then, i'm broke and don't go out. Ta for the link, i'll get a couple of them when I get my f*ckin insurance check![/quote]

Well I don't drink beer so I have no idea how much it is but that's only 20 Lattes :)

You pay £2 for a cup of coffee?

I'm broke in the real sense of the word (or expression), as in I can't afford to go out, or buy £2 coffees or £6.66 pints! I buy what I need, and I don't need a hard case atm.

However, I had the insurance woman on the phone this morning, and she assures me the cheque will be sent today. 14 months after I was burgled! I shall treat my bass to a nice new secure home.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='92114' date='Nov 21 2007, 01:03 PM']You pay £2 for a cup of coffee?

I'm broke in the real sense of the word (or expression), as in I can't afford to go out, or buy £2 coffees or £6.66 pints! I buy what I need, and I don't need a hard case atm.

However, I had the insurance woman on the phone this morning, and she assures me the cheque will be sent today. 14 months after I was burgled! I shall treat my bass to a nice new secure home.[/quote]

Sure I pay £2 for coffee - That's 20P for the coffee and £1.80 for a couple of hours in my office extension/meeting room in the coffee shop ...
I guess beer is 25p for the beer and £1.75 for the pub environment .. same difference really ..

Try Direct line ...
Never had a problem making claims. They authorised the payout of our burglery last year over the phone and that was several thousand quids worth of digital whatnots being recycled into the community ...

Edited by OldGit

They thought something was suspicious, which it was really, from their point of view. We had 8 guitars nicked, reported it to the company, got 7 of them back a day later and reported that. I can see how it might seem a bit weird, so they had to investigate etc. The thing that really gets me angry is the fact that they took the details of my AND my housemate's stuff that got nicked, and didn't tell us until a month ago that they can only pay out for my stuff! This cuts my claim in half 'cos I have to give half to my housemate 'cos he paid for half the policy, that they told us, covered us both! I wish I had read the damn thing properly :-(

Lloyds home insurance if anyone wants to know who to avoid/petrol bomb for me.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='92152' date='Nov 21 2007, 02:22 PM']They thought something was suspicious, which it was really, from their point of view. We had 8 guitars nicked, reported it to the company, got 7 of them back a day later and reported that. I can see how it might seem a bit weird, so they had to investigate etc. The thing that really gets me angry is the fact that they took the details of my AND my housemate's stuff that got nicked, and didn't tell us until a month ago that they can only pay out for my stuff! This cuts my claim in half 'cos I have to give half to my housemate 'cos he paid for half the policy, that [b]they told us[/b], covered us both! I wish I had read the damn thing properly :-(

Lloyds home insurance if anyone wants to know who to avoid/petrol bomb for me.[/quote]

That sounds like they mis-sold you the policy, mate. Worth reporting them to the relevant financial authority - this happens far too often.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='91566' date='Nov 20 2007, 04:02 PM']I think this is a macho thing. Hard cases for hard blokes who eat hard food like hot curries and watch hard films with Steven Segal in and grow hard plants like cactii and drive hard cars like 4wds and have hard 9 string basses and play hard music like metal and wear hard leather and ride hard bikes like Harleys and do hard sports like snowboarding and tombstoning and stuff and beat you up for looking at them and drink hard drinks like Stella and cider and wear black.

Thing.[/quote]

Most excellent I have Hard cases from when I was young and Hard!!!

Now after 3500 gigs gig bags rock cos

A No One thorws them about like hard cases. Customs officers have decided (Its there Law) that if it looks like a musical instrument in a box they can see who can throw it as far as they can. They do I know they get more points if it has fragile written on.

B Roadies see above

C They are light try going on a carbon footprint of death (Plane) with a hard case

D loads of pockets in a bag

E Some fit 2 bassess the space can be used for beer my record being 25 bottles of plonk

F OLD MEN HAVE THEM>>>>>

Edited by hogman