Why become a member? ×

Gig Bags

Bilbo

I need to replace the bag I carry my bass in and am looking for a top notch gig bag to carry a Wal 4 string. I want something that is good quality, sturdy, protects the bass, has shoulder straps and a handle that aren't gonna snap in the first three weeks of use (like the last two I have had). I have seen some on the net but would prefer some recommendations because they are all sOOOO perfect.....

Anyone got the gig bag to die for?

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='89479' date='Nov 16 2007, 04:18 PM']Anyone got the gig bag to die for?[/quote]
You're in Felixstowe, so pop round to Bath Rd and have a word with Mark Stuart, www.guitartutor.co.uk. He usually has one or two Tribal Planet gig bags in stock, that's where I got mine from.

Mark is my son's guitar teacher , a good player and a really pleasant bloke.

[quote name='Jase' post='89725' date='Nov 17 2007, 12:41 AM']Don't mean to be ignorant chaps :) ...but why don't you use a hard case, any particular reason? Just wondering why you opt for a gig bag rather than the more protective hard case.[/quote]

I have a Hiscox case, and it is rather impractical if you're putting in a car (keeps sliding around) or on public transport (too bulky).

I only use it for long haul journeys, and to set a tone of professional in front of people I'm working with for the first time. I am thinking about taking the plunge with a leather case.

[quote name='Jase' post='89725' date='Nov 17 2007, 12:41 AM']Don't mean to be ignorant chaps :) ...but why don't you use a hard case, any particular reason? Just wondering why you opt for a gig bag rather than the more protective hard case.[/quote]
In no particular order, it can be carried like a rucksack where a hard case can't, it will fit in the boot of the car when a hard case won't unless I put the back seats down, and if it goes inside it won't destroy the interior.

[quote name='pete.young' post='89787' date='Nov 17 2007, 10:26 AM']In no particular order, it can be carried like a rucksack where a hard case can't[/quote]

Oh... I can never do that! Frankly, it looks like I've got a phallus sprouting from the top of my head! (Sorry, had to avoid the profanity filters. :) )

Edited by s_u_y_*

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='89789' date='Nov 17 2007, 10:32 AM']Oh... I can never do that! Frankly, it looks like I've got a phallus sprouting from the top of my head! (Sorry, had to avoid the profanity filters. :) )[/quote]

I was walking home from a jam night with my bass gigbag on my back and a bunch of lads approached me because they thought I was some kind of nutter wearing an Elvis quiff wig. When they realised I had a heavy lump of wood instead they decided against taking the p155.

I always gig with two basses not because I might break a string (I have never in 30 years broken a string in a performance situation) but if something goes wrong electronically or tonally one bass might work better than another. (To date only one battery failure and that's due to me not checking)

I always travel with two cases, and have a useless Fender badged double bag..., so I am ordering this:

[url="http://www.thomann.de/de/ibanez_double_bag_trolley_ebass.htm?partner_id=47692"]http://www.thomann.de/de/ibanez_double_bag...artner_id=47692[/url]

They are available in the UK now, I think Dolphin's are the cheapest. £60 or thereabouts

Edited by synaesthesia

There are bags and bags. Luckily I can get all my gear in the car with the basses in cases but I have had to use bags in the past. There are some semi hard cases that sit between a hard case and soft bag and I would look carefully at those options. I can't see the sense of putting a Wal into a cheap bag.

Body Glove bags look pretty good.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='89818' date='Nov 17 2007, 11:35 AM']I was walking home from a jam night with my bass gigbag on my back and a bunch of lads approached me because they thought I was some kind of nutter wearing an Elvis quiff wig. When they realised I had a heavy lump of wood instead they decided against taking the p155.[/quote]

Whenever I'm carrying my gig bag the guy in my local shop asks me if I've caught anytinhg, and then proceeds to question me about fishing??

Every time, no matter how often I tell him "no no it's not a fishing rod it's a bass"

I don't fish but isn't a fishing rod quite a lot longer and thiner than a bass guitar?

Have clocked those Overwater bags on the net. Expensive but they look like exactly what I am looking for. And only 35 miles away in Witham!!

Ref: hard cases - too heavy, too cumbersome and not very practical. I have been gigging without hard cases for over 20 years and not so much as a scratch - I guess taking care of your instrument is as much a state of mind as it is a single purchase.

I don't have a car, so I lug my bass, head and cab to practice with me on the bus. This is just about do-able with a rucksack bass (although I always get to the studio sweating like a bear).

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='91386' date='Nov 20 2007, 12:13 PM']Ref: hard cases - too heavy, too cumbersome and not very practical. I have been gigging without hard cases for over 20 years and not so much as a scratch - I guess taking care of your instrument is as much a state of mind as it is a single purchase.[/quote]
Having rolled a car twice doing gigs - I beg to differ.