Why become a member? ×

Aria SB505

Tinman

This has now become redundant, due to my imminent (14 weeks) arrival. So I'm putting the feelers out as to what sort of price to ask (sensible suggestions only)

It is a Korean made Aria SB505 4 string, cost £600 new 2 years ago. Aria have now discontinued production so I had a hell of a job getting any spec on it what so ever.

Pickup : Two Duncan Designed Custom Double Coils.
Bridge & Tail piece : SDX-4 2 way Bridge.

Top : Ash Top, Alder Back, Maple/Walnut Center
Neck : Maple/walnut, Neck-through body
Fingerboard : Rosewood
Frets : 24F
Scale : 864mm(34")
Pickups : Duncan Designed Custom Double Coil x 2
Controls : Volume x 1, Active Treble x 1, Active Middle x 1, Active Bass x 1, 5way PU select Rotary Switch x 1
Tailpiece : SDX-4 2way Bridge
Hardware : Gold
Finish : STNA, STWR, STBK

It's a lovely bass but it's only seen a couple of gigs as I soon found out thru necks weren't for me.
I love the neck on it, so much so I had Jon Shuker measure it so that he can make the same neck for me. I think the measurements were: 39.5mm wide at the nut and 20mm deep.
The next photo shows the only damage to the bass, unfortunately some nasty belt rash (i was a bit of an idiot at the time)

Oops!

I have an idea as to how much I'd like for it but I'm interested to see what you think.

Edited by Tinman

Pete -

I've never seen one of these before. That may be a good thing (rarity value?), but, er, probably not tbh. I know Aria were reissuing versions of the (increadingly sought after) 80s SB-series and this looks like a take on that. Problem is most people would rather have one of the actual reissues, or, even better, one of the originals.

The definite upsides, though, are the through neck and decent looking electronics. But the resale is going to be poor because no one is familiar with these. Don't think you'll get more than £300 ish.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Jones

[quote name='Brother Jones' post='8435' date='May 29 2007, 01:31 AM']Pete -

I've never seen one of these before. That may be a good thing (rarity value?), but, er, probably not tbh. I know Aria were reissuing versions of the (increadingly sought after) 80s SB-series and this looks like a take on that. Problem is most people would rather have one of the actual reissues, or, even better, one of the originals.

The definite upsides, though, are the through neck and decent looking electronics. But the resale is going to be poor because no one is familiar with these. Don't think you'll get more than £300 ish.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Jones[/quote]

No problem mate, that's why I started the topic, just to see what people thought.
I don't know why the discontinued them, lack of interest perhaps? There's no doubting it's a lovely instrument, it's just not for me.
Seems a shame to have it sat around gathering dust.

I think you are spot on BJ. When ever I value something unless its particularly esoteric or in demand I usually start at half the cost new.

14 weeks - you lucky lucky................... I had to wait nearly a year for one of my GB's.

Edited by bass_ferret

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='8498' date='May 29 2007, 10:31 AM']I think you are spot on BJ. When ever I value something unless its particularly esoteric or in demand I usually start at half the cost new.[/quote]
What I'll probably do is put it the papers. There seems little or no point in putting it up here as I don't think many BC'ers will be that interested (I get the impression that Korean is not that popular, probably rightfully so too :) ).

Thanks for the feedback though, you've pretty much confirmed what I thought.

Cheers

Pete

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='8510' date='May 29 2007, 10:44 AM']Well it wont hurt to copy the first post to the for sale section - you never know. For someone with only £300 to spend it would be a good bass.[/quote]
You're probably right but if that's the case then I would need advice on sorting out postage and stuff (I've never sold stuff online before, not even on e-bay)

[quote name='Tinman' post='8511' date='May 29 2007, 10:46 AM']You're probably right but if that's the case then I would need advice on sorting out postage and stuff (I've never sold stuff online before, not even on e-bay)[/quote]
Hi Pete,

For posting a bass (assuming you're not selling it with a hard case) I use lots of bubble wrap (the sort with the big bubbles) and something rigid to reinforce the package, taped the length of the front & back of the wrapped bass - I've got a bunch of spare laminate flooring boards lying about that do the job. Stick the whole thing in a guitar box (your local guitar shop throws out dozens of them every week - they're only too happy to give 'em away, in my experience) & tape it up thoroughly. A few FRAGILE! stickers for good measure won't do any harm.

I know lots of people have had problems with Royal Mail, but so far I've been OK - and having been at courier company depots a good few times (usually to collect things they pretended to try & deliver) the way they treat stuff didn't fill me with particular confidence at using that option.

Royal Mail standard parcels rate for a bass - depending on weight, obviously - tends to be less than £10, including a degree of insurance cover.

However you choose to send it, it's not as expensive as many Ebay sellers would have you assume. If I sell a bass/guitar on the Bay, I charge £15 P&P.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='8610' date='May 29 2007, 02:27 PM']Hi Pete,

For posting a bass (assuming you're not selling it with a hard case) I use lots of bubble wrap (the sort with the big bubbles) and something rigid to reinforce the package, taped the length of the front & back of the wrapped bass - I've got a bunch of spare laminate flooring boards lying about that do the job. Stick the whole thing in a guitar box (your local guitar shop throws out dozens of them every week - they're only too happy to give 'em away, in my experience) & tape it up thoroughly. A few FRAGILE! stickers for good measure won't do any harm.

I know lots of people have had problems with Royal Mail, but so far I've been OK - and having been at courier company depots a good few times (usually to collect things they pretended to try & deliver) the way they treat stuff didn't fill me with particular confidence at using that option.

Royal Mail standard parcels rate for a bass - depending on weight, obviously - tends to be less than £10, including a degree of insurance cover.

However you choose to send it, it's not as expensive as many Ebay sellers would have you assume. If I sell a bass/guitar on the Bay, I charge £15 P&P.

Jon.[/quote]

Thanks man, that helps a lot. I wouldn't be selling it with a hard case (keeping that for obvious reasons) so I would have to figure out how to reinforce it.

[quote name='krazy_olie' post='9381' date='May 30 2007, 06:32 PM']I think it was replaced by a signature model of some sort, which looked a bit odd because it had oak in it.

That's a lovely bass there[/quote]
Thank you my friend, you're the first one to say something positive about it :huh: , I was thinking I'd bought a complete lemon :) . It is a lovely bass, the neck is stunning, it's just a shame that thru necks turned out to be wrong for me.

Anyway, it's for sale now and I'm sure it'll go to a loving home.

Pete

Edited by Tinman

[quote name='Tinman' post='9460' date='May 30 2007, 08:50 PM']Thank you my friend, you're the first one to say something positive about it :huh: , I was thinking I'd bought a complete lemon :) . It is a lovely bass, the neck is stunning, it's just a shame that thru necks turned out to be wrong for me.

Anyway, it's for sale now and I'm sure it'll go to a loving home.

Pete[/quote]
Can I also say something positive? It looks lovely. There you go.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='9741' date='May 31 2007, 10:25 AM']Dont get me wrong - it looks like a nice bass its just not worth loads of money in a fickle world.

How do you not get on with through necks? I used a through neck Ibanez Musician for years along with various bolt on's and never really thought about it.[/quote]
I prefer the snap of a bolt on, sometimes I felt that the thru neck sustained too much (it makes sense to me, honest). I guess it doesn't suit the music I play or the way I play it. I will probably regret the decision in time but if that's the case, I'll go and have a thru neck made :)

Hi Tinman,

Just had a quick look around the web. Found this Czech site:-

[url="http://muzikant.cz/baskytary-7/baskytary-227/5-strunne-241/ostatni-tvary-306/s-aktivni-elektronikou-415/aria-sb505-43064.php"]http://muzikant.cz/baskytary-7/baskytary-2...sb505-43064.php[/url]

selling them new for about 500 euros.... dunno if that helps!!

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='10130' date='May 31 2007, 07:54 PM']Hi Tinman,

Just had a quick look around the web. Found this Czech site:-

[url="http://muzikant.cz/baskytary-7/baskytary-227/5-strunne-241/ostatni-tvary-306/s-aktivni-elektronikou-415/aria-sb505-43064.php"]http://muzikant.cz/baskytary-7/baskytary-2...sb505-43064.php[/url]

selling them new for about 500 euros.... dunno if that helps!![/quote]
Yeah, thanks man. I saw that when I was trying to find so info on mine. In fact there seems to be a few Eastern European sites with the same picture.
I'm wondering if they're a re-issue of the one I've got (the pic shows some differences)

Probably. I'm sure manufacturers move different models around the globe, maybe make tweaks when put into the product range elsewhere, more likely reducing the build quality in the process, on the basis it was well received elsewhere so will help carry its sales on...

That is a BTB 555 in your avatar isn't it? Are you happy with it? I sold my EDA905 with the intention of buing one, but ended up buying a 2nd hand (purple!!) Dean Edge 5, and saving the difference to go towards my elusive Wal 5'ver! The BTB seemed to have a much broader range of tone than the 905, which tended to sound very piano'y. It was the fishman bridge peizos which did it....

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='10146' date='May 31 2007, 08:16 PM']That is a BTB 555 in your avatar isn't it? Are you happy with it? I sold my EDA905 with the intention of buing one, but ended up buying a 2nd hand (purple!!) Dean Edge 5, and saving the difference to go towards my elusive Wal 5'ver! The BTB seemed to have a much broader range of tone than the 905, which tended to sound very piano'y. It was the fishman bridge peizos which did it....[/quote]

I love it, loads of low end punch, the tops are sweet without being harsh and there's bags of versatility as a result of the mid frequency shift.

Only thing you've got to watch is if you have Bart Mk1's fitted (Japanese). Mine hasn't, whereas the BTB550 I also have, has. IMO they're way to toppy. My 555 has the Ibanez DFR pickups and they have a much better tone.

TM, It's a shame about the lack of value attached to Aria stuff. As a converted guitarist, I got into bass by winning an Aria SB101 in a magazine competition. It's a bolt-on neck with a single active soap-bar and 3 band equalizer and it ain't going anywhere. It has a neck and action to die for and sounds amazing.
I've also got 2 Fenders and an Ibanez 5 string, but whenever I take the Aria out it always surprises me. The Gallery have an SB101 for sale at £329 and I would put yours as worth more than that from a dealer as it is a higher spec model. But dealing privately is always a different matter. When you consider you are looking for somewhere around the price of a Mexican P Bass, the Aria is on a different planet.

Funnily enough one of the 6 strings I couldn't part with is Aria's version of the Gibson ES335. It has so much sustain you can play a note, go and make a cup of coffee and it won't have died when you come back.
Good luck with the sale and whoever get's it will be getting a lot of bass for the money.