Why become a member? ×

Todays top tip (I do not like that saying its sooo cheesy)

The Burpster

Whilst picking my brain and working out what I could use for fret polishing that wont give my thumb cramp ( I usually use a Dremmel round rubber polishing wheel profiled for the fret wire) ......

I had a flash back to (very) younger day and model trains..... Bored with my local music shop, I popped to the local model railway shop.... and like the holy grail there it was....

PECO part no. PL41 track cleaner. Like a big 'old fashioned' pencil erasure but ligthly impregnated with polishing compound....

£2.50 and will last many many final fret finishes ....

Enjoy...

Top Warwick tip (or any bass with an internal socket as opposed to on a plate).

When fitting a new jack plug socket (because you will if you own an old Warwick), rather than fitting the socket and securing it in place then burning your fingers trying to solder it in a confined space; push the wires through the hole and solder the plug on externally to the bass (ensuring that you've fitted the wires through the nut :) ). Be sure to put some kind of cloth across your bass to protect from any soldering iron contact. When you've soldered the socket on (with all of that room around you to maneuver) insert the socket and tighten the nut... you know the one that you slipped the wiring through you dipstick (not that I've ever been that daft :huh: ).

[quote name='The Burpster' post='89841' date='Nov 17 2007, 12:26 PM']Whilst picking my brain and working out what I could use for fret polishing that wont give my thumb cramp ( I usually use a Dremmel round rubber polishing wheel profiled for the fret wire) ......

I had a flash back to (very) younger day and model trains..... Bored with my local music shop, I popped to the local model railway shop.... and like the holy grail there it was....

PECO part no. PL41 track cleaner. Like a big 'old fashioned' pencil erasure but ligthly impregnated with polishing compound....

£2.50 and will last many many final fret finishes ....

Enjoy...[/quote]

Ha, I actually came up to my room to find my one of those, I'm fixing up a Squire for someone and thought I'd give it a once over.