Why become a member? ×

Lakland Bob Glaub project complete

GreeneKing

Originally I took advantage of Tigran's Villex Tone Booster offer and installed one in the BG, using concentric Tone/Volume pots rated at 500K instead of the original 250K in order to make a hole available for the booster.

As I said in my review at the time, I was very pleased with the result. The 500K tone pot also made more treble available, with the original capacitor, value unknown, re-installed.

Reading that the Booster works most effectively with the Villex pickups (I'm blaming Ped here) I decided to go the whole way and fit a set, not realising that they came with an additional Mid control.

So, I fitted a jack into the body to free up the old jack position for the Mid pot. I also bought a 0.047 microfarad capacitor to match up with the 500k tone pot.

On wiring up the bass there was no output at all and no obvious reason to me why this should be so.

I dissassembled the wiring and with the help of Tigran checked out the pickups which were fine. I also checked the pots, all functioning correctly.

Today some proper shielded cable arrived and I built up the circuit one componant at a time checking output and all connections for conductivity as I went.

All was great until I finally placed the Tone Booster in the hot output.

Then I realised that I had failed to earth the booster! This I'm fairly sure was my original problem too

So that's it, all buttoned up and working exceptionally well.

All I need now is to give it a true test at gigging volume as my Roland cube 30 isn't the best way to hear the benefits.

New Jack:

Finally wired up correctly, I moved the cap btw :)

Here it is with all the messy bits tucked outta sight, 4 knobs on a passive bass.

Peter