Why become a member? ×

A simple demand for the public to see

ARGH

I would like to see and ERB sub(harmonic?!?)forumsection for Basschat.

Please.

It seem as there is a fair few 6+stringers on site,and It would be nice to find out who is who and where they are in the UK,and what is being used? Its hard enough finding info out in this country regarding ERB musicians/bands/players etc etc. And I think this would help us get together in one cohesive unit rather than the fragments that team up when our instruments come under fire. If Limited players see us as 'different' then so be it,but we have the right ,like the DoubleBass persons, to have our piece of land,so go on

I see no reason why this shouldnt come to pass........ DO THE RIGHT THING!

I would also like to moderate it. (oh would you now???..yes....I would).

Thankyou.

xRx

Edited by Machines

Hmmm, in some ways I see your point, especially as extendedrangebassist, the forum is a quiet place at the best of times.

Though having said that, I reckon there are so few of us to warrant specific dicussion in our own forum. Hell, I think there are more fretless players lol lol.

I'd welcome responses certainly.

[quote name='Sibob' post='90107' date='Nov 18 2007, 03:47 AM']We're all playing Bass right! Whats the difference?

Si[/quote]

Can you find me a .015 string thats 35" scale in length? In the UK?
To have the FIRST dedicated ERB discussion group in the UK!
Amplification and technique......
A place where we can go without the snide and stupid.
If we are so different and alien,then why shouldnt we have a seperate place!
(I cant see it being difficult to create)

I don't see a problem.

On the Dudepit and other bass sites, there are specific forums for different basses, e.g. Fender, MM, G&L, Wal etc, so why not have an ERB forum here.

And considering we already have an EUB forum, a Recording forum, a Gigs forum etc - each of which allows people to focus in on their specific interests - then adding an ERB forum will just be further proof that Basschat is a really inclusive website that caters for all.

I voted "no", I don't really see the point in a separate forum for a dozen of us to talk about brands of .165/.195 strings and accugroove cabs :) There are already forums well established for that, and as dood said, there ain't much traffic on them.

Personally i don't want Basschat to get like Talkbass or Dudepit where there so many different forums it just looks and feels messy. I mean, if we assume that ERB is 7+ (when i was playing 6's i didn't wanna talk about 6 string bass, i wanted to talk about bass), theres gotta be maybe 5 or so people with those instruments, then we'll need a forum for stick players, then one for 5 string upright players, it just gets a bit silly.

Si

i agree with sibob there, we can't be having too many forums. i understand double bass having its own section because (in my opinion) its quite different. but 7+ string players use the same amps, the same strings, the same pickups etc. as four or five string players so I can't see there being much point to it really.

[quote]We're all playing Bass right! Whats the difference?[/quote]

I agree. I don't look in the upright bass sub-forum yet used to look at topics in the bass forum ubout upright basses. Segregating the topics just reduces the chances of me seeing them unless i go look for them.

More sub-forums isnt a good thing IMHO.

G

[quote name='Sibob' post='90194' date='Nov 18 2007, 11:52 AM']Personally i don't want Basschat to get like Talkbass or Dudepit where there so many different forums it just looks and feels messy. I mean, if we assume that ERB is 7+ (when i was playing 6's i didn't wanna talk about 6 string bass, i wanted to talk about bass), theres gotta be maybe 5 or so people with those instruments, then we'll need a forum for stick players, then one for 5 string upright players, it just gets a bit silly.

Si[/quote]

I tend agree with Sibob that we DO have quite a lot of forums at the moment. I'm comfortable with the number we have as they're all well used. I would be a little reluctant to start making distinctions between types of basses because it would divide the community rather than encourage its integrity.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='90204' date='Nov 18 2007, 12:09 PM']I tend agree with Sibob that we DO have quite a lot of forums at the moment. I'm comfortable with the number we have as they're all well used. [b]I would be a little reluctant to start making distinctions between types of basses because it would divide the community rather than encourage its integrity.[/b][/quote]
thats a valid point...

but if you're sure a new section would get enough traffic to justify creating it, then I wouldnt really oppose.

Before I vote, I really must insist on another poll question: "What is the minimum number of strings for an ERB?" You could call a 5-string ERB if you wanted to - it has an extra string, after all... but for me, a 7 is quite normal... so where do we draw the line? I'm pretty much in favour of the forum, but not if we're going to be all vague about it...

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='90233' date='Nov 18 2007, 01:11 PM']Before I vote, I really must insist on another poll question: "What is the minimum number of strings for an ERB?" You could call a 5-string ERB if you wanted to - it has an extra string, after all... but for me, a 7 is quite normal... so where do we draw the line? I'm pretty much in favour of the forum, but not if we're going to be all vague about it...[/quote]
I think that probably underlines the point I made earlier about dividing the community.

I can see where Argh is coming from, as ERBers do have to put up with a fair amount of mindless drivel from some users on this forum but at the same time I think splitting the forum would be a shame. It is all bass guitar after all. To me there are two possible answers..

1. Have a test forum for a couple of weeks and see if it gets used enough to warrant its existence.

2. Users to have the maturity to not post in topics that don't interest them just for the sake of winding people up. And I suppose, everyone else to ignore them when they do in the hope that they'll got bored and bugger off.

Cheers,
Alun

That rather shocks me,that those that would directly benefit from such a subforum,would oppose it. I can understand mods concerns (more work...and who want the 'ARGH' in charge of anything....baby+hand grenade=fun).

it would be a great step.

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='90233' date='Nov 18 2007, 01:11 PM']Before I vote, I really must insist on another poll question: "What is the minimum number of strings for an ERB?" You could call a 5-string ERB if you wanted to - it has an extra string, after all... but for me, a 7 is quite normal... so where do we draw the line? I'm pretty much in favour of the forum, but not if we're going to be all vague about it...[/quote]

6+ and inclusive of 6ers
(hopeing to whisk a few up 1 string y'know!!)

Alternatively you cud put ERB at the start of posts in the normal section. This way ppl know it is that and rules shud b put against putting down ERB basses n the whole "you dont need more than 4" thing. This way everyone gets the opportunity to see the titles still and decide if they wana read without going into a subforum

[quote name='charic' post='90345' date='Nov 18 2007, 04:51 PM']Alternatively you cud put ERB at the start of posts in the normal section. This way ppl know it is that and rules shud b put against putting down ERB basses n the whole "you dont need more than 4" thing. This way everyone gets the opportunity to see the titles still and decide if they wana read without going into a subforum[/quote]

Good idea, but a shame that it has to come to that. "No religion, no politics, no anti-ERB" :)

It's a shame that, due to the narrow mindedness of a few users, we have to have this discussion in the first place. What next - having to put "Gibson" in threads about Thunderbirds to stop Precision players having a go?

My concern with having an ERB forum is that the same atagonists would feel the need to post there anyway. It's a dilemma because it seems trivial to expect mods to have to warn people to behave over something so silly, but it is p!ssing people off.

The easy answer is - if the topic doesn't interest you, and you have bugger all to contribute - don't post in it.

Cheers,
Alun

Yeah thats y i suggested putting the ERB on it, in the rules section (im sure theres probs one sumwhere i havnt checked) you could have a rule added about posting derogoraty (that how it spelt?) comments being put in which are of the norm to us