Why become a member? ×

Amplitube coming soon for iPhone/iPod Touch/that other over hyped pad thing

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='869556' date='Jun 16 2010, 10:59 PM']Just had a bit more of a mess around with it, uploading a couple of songs to it and messing with the demo.

I'll be honest, and say I'm a little disappointed.

The upload process robs it of the spontaneity, which is a shame but I appreciate that it's probably the only practical way to do it.

You're also limited to 20 songs, which really limits it for me as I've quite often got 40+ tunes on the go at any given time.

It would even help if you could drag songs across from iTunes on the phone.[/quote]

I agree with all this. I was hoping i could sit in the bedroom with my ipod touch loaded will all my bands play list (around 150 songs) and be able to jam along with them.
I wouldnt mind if i could drag and drop all the songs to my ipod. Ive not yet tried the upload part and i dont think ill bother just yet. I wonder if drag and drop will be made availible for this. I can drag files to my ipod folders already so cant see why it shouldnt work.
I still intend to use it as it will still come in very handy for when im at gigs etc, and i will buy the adaptor, but as a rehearsal tool for at home ill give it a miss.

Bugger!

That's taken away a lot of my excuses for wanting an iPhone4 now - this was the killer app on my wishlist :)

I have hundreds of songs which could crop up on a set list or I might want to reaquaint myself with or try picking up new songs, so its handy to have immediate access to them. This is why I got rid of the tascam guitar trainer - 1Gb wasn't enough and the faffing about taking songs off & putting them on as needed (& making sure they were in the correct bitrate etc) was a pain in the bum. Lately I've just been using my macbook & guitar rig session I/O to play along with my setlist playlists in iTunes. I hope there is a better way of doing this on the iPhone - I wonder whether the multitasking in iOS4 will help?

The upload process is a little laborious... you upload the tune to the phone, then, before you can play it for the first time, it has to re-encode it. Admittedly I have a 3G, but it wasn't a particularly quick process.

Basically, you're going to have to know what tunes you want (making sure there are less than 20) and prepare them in advance.

It's a shame.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='869855' date='Jun 17 2010, 01:02 PM']The upload process is a little laborious... you upload the tune to the phone, then, before you can play it for the first time, it has to re-encode it. Admittedly I have a 3G, but it wasn't a particularly quick process.

Basically, you're going to have to know what tunes you want (making sure there are less than 20) and prepare them in advance.

It's a shame.[/quote]
That makes it a deal-breaker for me. I'm not going to want to go through that - especially as a typical o5b gig is two sets of about 15 songs.
Glad I wasn't tempted to preorder an iPhone 4 now :)

[quote name='IK Multimedia' post='869930' date='Jun 17 2010, 02:48 PM']Unfortunately if it was pulled in from the phone, it would be unplayable with the unbearable latency and to directly reencode it was not an available option unfortunately.

If advances in the platform allow for it in the future, I'm sure we will.[/quote]

I know its way to late but couldnt we have had a folder we could drag and drop mp3s in, rather than having to upload them?. I'm happy to have a load of duplicates that are used exclusively by irig but to limit the list to only 20 isnt going to be ideal.

Just an idea.

Still going to use it though and im sure it will evolve.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, ive just ordered the adaptor (Irig) from Soundslive, they say they are expecting thme in on the 28th so hopefully i should get it this week. Im away with the band all next weekend so hopefully i can use this.

A question to IK Multimedia.

I've purchased the Bass amp, how can i make it the default amp? at the moment the app is opening with the Lead amp selected.

Cheers.

[quote name='Kev' post='879180' date='Jun 27 2010, 08:26 PM']Just downloaded it, am i right in thinkng that apart from the tuner and metronome, this is useless without the £20 odd quid adapter?![/quote]

As far as i know yes. If your good with wires you can probably knock something up but i couldn't be bothered (and not that great).

I wont be using it then i dont think. I refuse to pay such a price for something that is probably really quite simple, and im especially reluctant since i purchased the istrobosoft cable.

[quote name='Kev' post='879194' date='Jun 27 2010, 08:35 PM']I wont be using it then i dont think. I refuse to pay such a price for something that is probably really quite simple, and im especially reluctant since i purchased the istrobosoft cable.[/quote]

Yeah, i have that cable as well. Actually i found a couple of my Nokia cables work ok with the istrobosoft but they didn't look very elegant so i forked out for the peterson one. I dont regret it and if the Irg one works with both then ill probably flog the peterson one, so that might help soften the blow a bit.
The istrobosoft cable does work but there doesn't seem to be any way to get the audio out.

Im sure cheaper versions of the irig adaptor will surface on ebay etc. Considering the cost of the app, i dont think its too expensive all in.

By the way, have you upgraded to iOS4 yet? Ive found istrobosoft doesn't work properly under iOS4. It will tune but the strobe feature doesn't work.

[quote name='Kev' post='879206' date='Jun 27 2010, 08:47 PM']No, istrobosft needs to be updated as your quite right, the strobe doesnt work. However i find polytune to be a much better tuner so im using that anyway[/quote]

While i prefer istrobosoft im happy to use Polytune for now. I just prefer the bigger display with istrobosoft, cant say its any more acurate.

Then again, ive gone three gigs now without having to tune up so its not something i really depend on. It just looks flash at gig ;-)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='879150' date='Jun 27 2010, 02:52 PM']Well, ive just ordered the adaptor (Irig) from Soundslive, they say they are expecting thme in on the 28th so hopefully i should get it this week. Im away with the band all next weekend so hopefully i can use this.

A question to IK Multimedia.

I've purchased the Bass amp, how can i make it the default amp? at the moment the app is opening with the Lead amp selected.

Cheers.[/quote]
I will pass that request along, don't think that's something that can be done now.

As for the adapter being simple, it is not just a simple pass-through and it does get the best signal possible into the device and app but yes I'm sure some could knock one up. However, if it was that simple - previous attempts wouldn't have been so, with all due respect to those who made them, unsuccessful...

Oh and 3 days to go until the iRig ships! July 1st in Europe, July 7th in the US…

Get the FREE version of AmpliTube For iPhone here: [url="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amplitube-free/id373309342?mt=8"]http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amplitube-f...d373309342?mt=8[/url]

Edited by IK Multimedia

[quote name='IK Multimedia' post='880091' date='Jun 28 2010, 05:17 PM']I will pass that request along, don't think that's something that can be done now.

As for the adapter being simple, it is not just a simple pass-through and it does get the best signal possible into the device and app but yes I'm sure some could knock one up. However, if it was that simple - previous attempts wouldn't have been so, with all due respect to those who made them, unsuccessful...

Oh and 3 days to go until the iRig ships! July 1st in Europe, July 7th in the US…

Get the FREE version of AmpliTube For iPhone here: [url="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amplitube-free/id373309342?mt=8"]http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/amplitube-f...d373309342?mt=8[/url][/quote]

Ok thanks. It was just an idea.

Can i delete the Lead amp instead? (im guessing i cant). No big deal.

I agree with you about the adaptor not being simple. I guess if it was that simple we would all be making them.

EDIT: It seems like Soundslive didn't get them in today (at least, my order wasn't updated and its still showing due in in a weeks time) so i cancelled my order.
I probably will get one at some point but i realised i have a Korg Pandora and i very rarely use that, paying £30 for the irig adaptor would probably be a waste of money right now.
Ill see how things develop.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='880101' date='Jun 28 2010, 12:27 PM']Ok thanks. It was just an idea.

Can i delete the Lead amp instead? (im guessing i cant). No big deal.

I agree with you about the adaptor not being simple. I guess if it was that simple we would all be making them.

EDIT: It seems like Soundslive didn't get them in today (at least, my order wasn't updated and its still showing due in in a weeks time) so i cancelled my order.
I probably will get one at some point but i realised i have a Korg Pandora and i very rarely use that, paying £30 for the irig adaptor would probably be a waste of money right now.
Ill see how things develop.[/quote]
Dealers won't get them yet but soon. Some dealers are already reordering and most are mentioning that folks should preorder to get in on their first shipment. Our first shipment had to be increased and production in general upped for the demand.

[quote name='Kev' post='879206' date='Jun 27 2010, 08:47 PM']No, istrobosft needs to be updated as your quite right, the strobe doesnt work. However i find polytune to be a much better tuner so im using that anyway[/quote]

Ive just updated istrobosoft and it seems to work fine now under iOS4.

Well, we can't currently compare app or hardware, but we've definitely gone through a lot to make iRig the best choice for getting guitar signal into your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch. Although it appears as a simple accessory, it is the result of many rounds of experimentation and a highly selective components selection. Many technical challenges were solved by IK's engineers before we were able to reach the best possible solution in terms of sound quality and usability.

Oh, and we're shipping! :) Check out the pics added: [url="http://bit.ly/cDLmSi"]http://bit.ly/cDLmSi[/url]

Cheers Peter, cant wait to get hold of one.
It definitely looks like a quality product, and i prefer the look fo this ot the Peavey one.

Im having to learn a level 42 song as a first dance. Sitting her in the living room trying to slap (badly) while the others watch CSI is quite surreal.

shame i didnt get one for the weekend but im sure ill have plenty of opportunities to use it.

Edited by dave_bass5

Of course the elephant in the room with the peavey system ([url="http://www.peavey.com/ampkitlink/"]http://www.peavey.com/ampkitlink/[/url]) is "can you play along with your existing music?" as that is not mentioned in Peavey video , I'd guess the Peavey system is in the same boat as the amplitude one as they don't mention it. Shame :)

As it seems to be limitations of the iPhone platform, maybe I'll email Steve Jobs to make him aware of how including something to allow guitar amp apps to play along with songs with low latency will open up a whole new market for the iPhone / iPod touch / iPad platform. - Perhaps after I report those squirrels to Nick Clegg, that I mentioned in off topic.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='883545' date='Jul 1 2010, 06:28 PM']Of course the elephant in the room with the peavey system ([url="http://www.peavey.com/ampkitlink/"]http://www.peavey.com/ampkitlink/[/url]) is "can you play along with your existing music?" as that is not mentioned in Peavey video , I'd guess the Peavey system is in the same boat as the amplitude one as they don't mention it. Shame :)

As it seems to be limitations of the iPhone platform, maybe I'll email Steve Jobs to make him aware of how including something to allow guitar amp apps to play along with songs with low latency will open up a whole new market for the iPhone / iPod touch / iPad platform. - Perhaps after I report those squirrels to Nick Clegg, that I mentioned in off topic.[/quote]
Yes we tried to do it that way at first and it was absolutely unbearable. Interacting with a core app like iPod on these devices doesn't give you much leeway for sure. We'll work out what we can - heard some good things that are coming just a couple of hours ago. Can't wait!