Why become a member? ×

If you had £450 to spend on a head...

italki

[quote name='italki' post='90401' date='Nov 18 2007, 06:53 PM']Hi,

I have a budget of around £450 to spend on a head :) . If anybody has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Tristan[/quote]

For that amount I'd be looking at a new Mark Bass LMII

Based on recent experience, without a doubt I'd got for a Warwick Tubepath. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8462"]Here's a recent review I did[/url].

You could get one of these, used, for less than £450 if you look hard enough.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='italki' post='90415' date='Nov 18 2007, 07:15 PM']Ah thanks,

So if I used the [b]MarkBass LMII [/b]what cab would you go for?

Cheers.[/quote]

Depends what sound you're after really. It has two outputs so you could run a couple of 8 ohm cabs or a single 4 ohm or 8 ohm ( off the top of my head, can't think if it'll handle 2ohm)

Cheers,
Alun

Thanks,

Basically, im not an expert at all. I just play bass in a band, have a Fender MIM Active Jazz that im really pleased with. I was thinking that I want to buy a really nice head so I can build on the amp rather than exchanging cheap combo's all the time. I have not got a cab or head yet and am just after some advice. I thought that £350 was a decent price to pay for a head but i maybe wrong!

Somebody point me in the right direction ha! And thanks for the advice so far.

X

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='90418' date='Nov 18 2007, 07:19 PM']Based on recent experience, without a doubt I'd got for a Warwick Tubepath. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8462"]Here's a recent review I did[/url].

You could get one of these, used, for less than £450 if you look hard enough.[/quote]

How many people actually need a 1000W head though? Especially when there are 500W amps at 1/10th the weight of this.

Whatever you buy, I'd look for something that can drive 2ohms, if possible. And don't be swayed too much by power rating - it's a good tone you need. In fact, if you don't have cabs already consider the rig as a whole. Remember that adding a second cab to your rig will give you and extra 3dB in SPL (equivalent to doubling your amp power) and that buying efficient cab's opens up you amp choice (since the head doesn't have to be so powerful).

For example a 103dB/1W/1m 800W rated cab can give you a SPL of 132dB when driven with the full 800W. A couple of 103dB 200W cabs will give the same SPL when driven by 400W, but may be a more adaptable rig (one cab for small venues, two for big ones etc.).

One other thing, I don't know how old you are, but there'll probably come a point when you can't be arsed with heavy stuff, so I'd tend towards high quality lightweight gear.

[quote name='BB2000' post='90438' date='Nov 18 2007, 07:42 PM']How many people actually need a 1000W head though? Especially when there are 500W amps at 1/10th the weight of this.

Whatever you buy, I'd look for something that can drive 2ohms, if possible. And don't be swayed too much by power rating - it's a good tone you need. In fact, if you don't have cabs already consider the rig as a whole. Remember that adding a second cab to your rig will give you and extra 3dB in SPL (equivalent to doubling your amp power) and that buying efficient cab's opens up you amp choice (since the head doesn't have to be so powerful).

For example a 103dB/1W/1m 800W rated cab can give you a SPL of 132dB when driven with the full 800W. A couple of 103dB 200W cabs will give the same SPL when driven by 400W, but may be a more adaptable rig (one cab for small venues, two for big ones etc.).

One other thing, I don't know how old you are, but there'll probably come a point when you can't be arsed with heavy stuff, so I'd tend towards high quality lightweight gear.[/quote]

Thanks, seemed like sound advice. Im 17. Yeah I agree im after a good tone. I like the look of that MarkBass LMII. What cab would that go nicely with?

~Cheers

[quote name='BB2000' post='90438' date='Nov 18 2007, 07:42 PM']How many people actually need a 1000W head though? Especially when there are 500W amps at 1/10th the weight of this.[/quote]

Hey.. it works for me. He was asking for recommendations. I'm just recommending something.

FWIW, there is a Tubepath 5.1 - a lighter 500w version.

[quote name='BB2000' post='90438' date='Nov 18 2007, 07:42 PM']One other thing, I don't know how old you are, but there'll probably come a point when you can't be arsed with heavy stuff, so I'd tend towards high quality lightweight gear.[/quote]

Playing devil's advocate for a moment.. I've spent a lot of time with Class-D amps. IME nothing beats the punch of a hefty transformer. Apart from an all-tube head, but even I won't go there.

Edited by wateroftyne

Thanks very much, I am listning to all suggestions as you all know so much more than me.

Whats that head like? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8554"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8554[/url]

I could have that for £350. Is that a good price?

Cheers

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='90444' date='Nov 18 2007, 07:51 PM']Hey.. it works for me. He was asking for recommendations. I'm just recommending something.

FWIW, there is a Tubepath 5.1 - a lighter 500w version.

Playing devil's advocate for a moment.. I've spent a lot of time with Class-D amps. IME nothing beats the punch of a hefty transformer. Apart from an all-tube head, but even I won't go there.[/quote]

Truth is we're spoiled for choice nowadays. I've heard people say they don't like class-d amps, personally I don't think there is a 'class-d' sound, because every one I've had has been different. Likewise I'd argue that there isn't a smps 'sound' because you can design them to act pretty much like an analogue supply if you want too. The LMII is very popular on this board (it has a smps) and is generally classed as being punchy. I wouldn't judge the supply or amp architecture on the implementation, but rather the unit as a whole.

[quote name='italki' post='90450' date='Nov 18 2007, 07:59 PM']Thanks very much, I am listning to all suggestions as you all know so much more than me.

Whats that head like? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8554"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8554[/url]

I could have that for £350. Is that a good price?

Cheers[/quote]

With the rack and shipping, I'd say that's a very fair price, and it's a very good head.

[quote name='italki' post='90443' date='Nov 18 2007, 07:50 PM']Thanks, seemed like sound advice. Im 17. Yeah I agree im after a good tone. I like the look of that MarkBass LMII. What cab would that go nicely with?

~Cheers[/quote]

You're 17 - ampeg 8x10's were built for chaps like you!

If you're still in school, or have access to woodworking tools, build your own and save some cash. Do a search for Omni 10.5 on the board. If you make it 8 ohm you can add another one (or two if your head can drive 2ohms) later. For the money you spend on it, you won't get anything better. Seriously.

[quote name='BB2000' post='90460' date='Nov 18 2007, 08:10 PM']Likewise I'd argue that there isn't a smps 'sound' because you can design them to act pretty much like an analogue supply if you want too. The LMII is very popular on this board (it has a smps) and is generally classed as being punchy. I wouldn't judge the supply or amp architecture on the implementation, but rather the unit as a whole.[/quote]

My experience of 'em, including the LMII, is that they have an almost compressed response when you're thumping around the the low end at volume. It's a pleasant, useable tone, but... I like the thump. It's a tradeoff, but I can live with the weight.

Of course, Italki should try before he buys if possible.

So much stuff to try out around that amount - Gallien Krueger are definitely worthy of a mention as are Warwick and Peavey etc. etc. I'm not convinced by the 'Markbass' default answer, they're very nice but I'm prejudiced by the fact that the stock answer a couple of years ago was 'Ashdown' and years before that 'Trace Elliot'. What I'm trying to say is that they get mentioned because of their high market penetration (=more owners)and might not be right for you. When you try anything out - crank it, warn the shop folk first and preferably visit mid-week, but just crank it to a level that it's going to get used at. A wateroftyne said, amps sound different at different volumes, depending on their design/spec.