Why become a member? ×

hartke speaker problem

steve

I was at rehearsal last night and my hartke 115 was farting at higher volumes. On inspection today there is a 7-8 mm nick in the aluminium cone.

Is this repairable or should I just go ahead and get a replacement speaker from Thomann?

thanks

Both. Maybe.

Temporarily I've fixed probs like this with rubber solution glue in the past. Stuff like copydex (if you can still get it) I just bunged a load round the hole both sides and cracked on. Never with an alu cone though.
I've seen paper cones repaired with a bit of masking tape and wallpaper paste. My mate's bands PA was like that for years.

I did have a recone eventually - but recones are as expensive as most new drivers so I'd get cracking with ordering a new one.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='90747' date='Nov 19 2007, 11:46 AM']I've seen paper cones repaired with a bit of masking tape and wallpaper paste.[/quote]

Just a thought, but would the equivalent for an aluminium speaker cone be some household aluminium foil superglued to both sides of the nick? If you're thinking of a recone/replacement driver anyway it might be worth trying this first - what have you got to lose? :)

Regards,
Steve.

I've had a further look at the nick after I'd taken the cone out of the cabinet and after scratching it a bit it came off! I think it was a bit of something stuck onto the cone. There's certainly no damage on the rear of the cone i can see.

When I was unscrewing the cone, some of the screws were not as tight as I was expecting, so I'm hoping the farting noise was the driver vibrating. I going to try it in my garage tomorrow but there's plenty of other things which vibrate at loud volume in there so it might not be conclusive. Fingers crossed,

thanks for the responses fellas

A nice lady on another bass forum called the number on the ad, she didn't get through, left a message and forgot all about it and went gardening. A bit later her kid came out the house saying 'Larry is on the phone for you'. She didn't know who he was till he said , and chatted about the new amp they had coming out. I heard it first hand so I think its pretty darn cool.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='91065' date='Nov 19 2007, 08:12 PM']Well, Larry alledgedely has his telephone number in the comics.. ring him and ask ! I'd love to know if it actually is his number![/quote]

? :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='91503' date='Nov 20 2007, 02:37 PM']A nice lady on another bass forum called the number on the ad, she didn't get through, left a message and forgot all about it and went gardening. A bit later her kid came out the house saying 'Larry is on the phone for you'. She didn't know who he was till he said , and chatted about the new amp they had coming out. I heard it first hand so I think its pretty darn cool.[/quote]

? :huh:

So I managed to try the cab today, and it still farts :)

the cone looks pristine but it definately farts, especially when I play f on d string at 3rd fret, on two different basses

has anyone any other suggestions before I buy a new driver?

[quote name='The Burpster' post='91065' date='Nov 19 2007, 08:12 PM']Well, Larry alledgedely has his telephone number in the comics.. ring him and ask ! I'd love to know if it actually is his number![/quote]

It certainly is his number! True story, Larry Hartke left a message on my MySpace to call him! He is a very busy man, but yeah.. definitely him. (On that number)

Oh.. and instead of going to Thomann, you maybe able to get a new driver replacement straight from Hartke's UK distributor.

Could possibly be Samson.. but It may even be Headline Distribution. Sound Control used to handle Hartke gear, so a nice chat with them may get the results you need.

Dan

[quote name='dood' post='91680' date='Nov 20 2007, 06:32 PM']It certainly is his number! True story, Larry Hartke left a message on my MySpace to call him! He is a very busy man, but yeah.. definitely him. (On that number)[/quote]
I'm starting to follow this now :) :huh:

[quote name='dood' post='91680' date='Nov 20 2007, 06:32 PM']Oh.. and instead of going to Thomann, you maybe able to get a new driver replacement straight from Hartke's UK distributor.

Could possibly be Samson.. but It may even be Headline Distribution. Sound Control used to handle Hartke gear, so a nice chat with them may get the results you need.

Dan[/quote]

thanks for that Dan, I've emailed Hartke and Sound Technology PLC - their UK distributors

[quote name='steve' post='91749' date='Nov 20 2007, 07:42 PM']thanks for that Dan, I've emailed Hartke and Sound Technology PLC - their UK distributors[/quote]

Ordered a replacement from Sound Technology PLC - £75 +VAT, which was £40 cheaper than Thomann - cheers Dan, I owe you a pint :)

[quote name='steve' post='92595' date='Nov 22 2007, 10:58 AM']Ordered a replacement from Sound Technology PLC - £75 +VAT, which was £40 cheaper than Thomann - cheers Dan, I owe you a pint :)[/quote]

Its a pleasure mate, no wurries.