Why become a member? ×

Sorry, one more cab and amp question

IanBrown00

I'm currently using the following set up for low volume practice:

Behringer BX3000T (300W RMS into 4Ohm impedence) into an Ashdown 2*10" cabinet (150W power handling, 8 Ohm impedence).

I understand that as 8 Ohm impedence is greater than 4 Ohm impedence, the cabinet will not receive the full 300W RMS power which it would, were it a 4 Ohm cabinet. Assuming, for arguments sake, that the amp delivers 150W RMS power into 8 Ohm impedence, then my cabinet should be safe at low/moderate volume. I would assume that at high output levels, the cabinet would be susceptible to damage caused by power above the RMS value.

The problem I am encountering is that when I play at low levels i.e. at conversation volume, the signal is significantly distorted. I am concerned that despite the cabinet's higher impedance it may have been damaged because of it's low power handling rating. It is quite possible that I have overlooked an important point in the sticky's in this forum or am being stupid, but any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Ian.

Your logic is pretty sound. The 210 will be receiving around 200w @ 8ohm, this should be ok as long as you don't hammer it.

As for distortion at low volume, it might be damaged, but i'd have thought it more prevalent at higher levels than lower. Could you borrow another head/cab to test whether it's the head or cab to blame ?

You should always control the volume using the master rather than the gain or input volume. Some amps sound sh*te if they dont have a strong enough input signal. Often they have clip lights or vu meters (on ashdowns that apparently dont work) that are supposed to flash occasionally. I always liked the old trace system of coloured lights (shame I hated the sound).

Well I've tested the cab/amp combination with a different bass and replaced the battery in the active bass. Neither seemed to remove the buzz. I tried bass_ferret's suggestion of setting the gain to get sufficient input and using the master volume to control the volume - this seemed to reduce the distortion a little. By a process of elimination I think I've settled on the theory that the tweeter is responsible for the distortion. I've also come to the decision that at the volume levels I'm using I'm unlikely to cause my gear any serious damage.

Thanks again for the replies.
Ian.

Id bet you could get into some serious volume and not have to worry about overpowering anyway. Dont worry too much, if it sounds stressed (well your particular case does anyway, i mean moreso!) back off the volume.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='91765' date='Nov 20 2007, 07:57 PM']You should always control the volume using the master rather than the gain or input volume. Some amps sound sh*te if they dont have a strong enough input signal. Often they have clip lights or vu meters (on ashdowns that apparently dont work) that are supposed to flash occasionally. I always liked the old trace system of coloured lights (shame I hated the sound).[/quote]

+1

Bass Ferret is exactly right, you want you input volume/gain contrl set as high as possible without clipping, that way there is more sound going into the amp for all the on board EQ's and other features to play with, thus giving you a much richer and fuller tone. I did a gig last Friday where the supplied amp had no Input control (some horrible Hartke combo) and playing an active bass I spent the whole night distorted, afterwards one of trumpet players in the band turned around and said "nice set, dunno about your new distortion pedal though!" grrrr.