Why become a member? ×

I need fat strings for a project

hogman

[quote name='hogman' post='91738' date='Nov 20 2007, 07:34 PM']Big fat strings needed any help greatly appreciated.

Proper fat non of yer girly 135's I need full of pies strings...............

Looking at around 175...........

cost and who makes them....[/quote]

MB1. :)
Whose yer Bass Player......The Jolly Green Giant?

I use Warwick Dark Lord 175 gauge strings on my 7er. Probably your best bet for a UK supply.. though you can also get heavy gauge strings from the likes of SIT and Conklin amongst others.

Outlets for Warwick, you are looking at The Bass Centre and err Strings Direct I think.

[quote name='dood' post='91750' date='Nov 20 2007, 07:45 PM']I use Warwick Dark Lord 175 gauge strings on my 7er. Probably your best bet for a UK supply.. though you can also get heavy gauge strings from the likes of SIT and Conklin amongst others.

Outlets for Warwick, you are looking at The Bass Centre and err Strings Direct I think.[/quote]

Or go to my link for what's probably the best price.

many thanks to all of ewes and I will now be searching for some Kanga's as this kind of 20Hz lownessness will make me poo myself.

Intresting fact the pitch of this low E is 20.60Hz

Sad fact of the day the wavelength of 20.60Hz is 54.6276 Ft or for the younguns 16.6505 Meters Thats one big wave

[quote name='hogman' post='92031' date='Nov 21 2007, 10:33 AM']Sad fact of the day the wavelength of 20.60Hz is 54.6276 Ft or for the younguns 16.6505 Meters Thats one big wave[/quote]

Make sure you leave a window open then, otherwise you'll have to fold it up to fit it into the room.

I'm sure one of our techies will chime in, but I think with the limitations of bass/pa gear and the laws of physics/biology, you are unlikely to ever hear that note, but your brain will fill in the missing information using all of the related overtones, which you can hear.

For example, If I play a low F# it really makes diddly squat difference to what I hear if I have a 25Hz filter on or not.. It just stops my cab's speakers from flapping around as they are not capable of producing those frequencies with any sort of power.

I dont know if any bass chatters have given Yves Carbone a blast but thats where me mad Idea came from with the contra bass stuff. I have been the other way with a picollo and the was just silly all the punks could not understand why we had two bass players... Bless em.

I could do with doing some proper research into this as the live enviroment is loads diffrent to the studio enviroment (the whole wave can get chucked out). Anywayzzzz with the nature of an anoluge signal chain we dont really loose the low bits they just kind drop down the hearing threshold however as soon as we plug in a bit of digikal clobber we stop at 20Hz you will need to find out about Harry Nyquist and his stuff to suss that out more.

Basically the funamental will be there but not reproduced at a decent enough volume cos it would cost loads (cash again). This is why our friendly Americans and Mister Gabriel have started retuning there 20Hz studio control rooms musch to the disgust of one Tom Hidley who extoles the values of making you cak yer pants....... Cos its just not nice to work at that kinda freq.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='92118' date='Nov 21 2007, 01:05 PM']But humans can't really hear anything below 40Hz?[/quote]

Some one has been telling you fibs.... When you are in the studio ( A Good One) try using a shelving filter set to 40Hz n then rolll it offfff (obviously dont do that with a picollo flute ha ha)

It is suprising what we can hear down to its upto that is the hassle and its all about the energy man the energy yeah.

Granteeeed there aint much gear that will get you down there regualarlliyly but we can goez bass that low.

Got me string order under scrutiny pity rotosound dont do em or elites for that matter (cos I has a Deal with Elites) I should ask really.....

[quote name='cheddatom' post='92118' date='Nov 21 2007, 01:05 PM']But humans can't really hear anything below 40Hz?[/quote]

No, 20 Hz.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hearing"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hearing[/url]

We can hear it, but it needs a very serious rig to produce it (or just use head phones as they need much less power).

D.

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='92144' date='Nov 21 2007, 02:13 PM']No, 20 Hz.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hearing"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hearing[/url]

We can hear it, but it needs a very serious rig to produce it (or just use head phones as they need much less power).

D.[/quote]

Heh, sorry, just got my facts wrong. I did do a music tech degree but, since then i've been playing with my 'ERBs too much!

Oooh what about that fine Jauquo III-X chap (ermm is that how you spell his name?) His bass is described as a 'sub contra bass'. I think his 4 strings are tuned low C# F# B E

[url="http://www.jauqoiii-x.com/JK_pages/JK_music_lowc_review.html"]http://www.jauqoiii-x.com/JK_pages/JK_music_lowc_review.html[/url] Think I have chatted to him via email at some point.. mebbe on TalkBass.. I forget.. nice chap.