Why become a member? ×

Lakland string misalignment

ShaunB

Hi guys,
I recently bought a Skyline Bob Glaub (I had a discussion going on as to tort or black pickguard replacement) and have noticed a problem which you maybe able to help with...
Playing the top string sometimes I'll "roll" the string off the fretboard - on closer inspection I have noticed the top 2 strings are misaligned over the twin p/up poles with no way of adjusting them at the bridge as all the adjusters are packed tightly together.
On the technical side, the top string is approximately 3.5mm from the nut to the edge of the neck and only 2.5mm at the last fret - could the neck be outta whack?
Any help gratefully received as I find the top string quite useful at times.

:)

Hi,

That's not good to see on a quality bass like a Lakland - my first instinct would be to contact them straight away!

Have you any close ups of the bridge, the neck pocket and of the nut to see what's happening there? The D and G strings look seriously out of line across the pick ups as you say so I wonder whether you're also getting a problem with less output from those two strings as they're not sitting in between the pole pieces as they should?

Good luck with getting it sorted, must be a real worry...

Nik

Thanks Nik, I have dropped them a line with the same pic.
I guess my main worry is the neck was misaligned when screwed down - I await their pleasure.
Anyway, here's a couple more pics...

cheers
Shaun

Shaun

My BG for info is very different. As you can see from my photo the string seems to go right through the middle of the pole pieces. This is pretty much right, in fact if anything the G string lies about a mm the other way i.e. away from the edge of the fretboard.

Just so you know it isn't the angle of the photo or anything like that.

It's definitely worth contacting [email protected] as they are really good at helping solve problems like this.

For what it's worth though, the pick-up pole piece alignment isn't an issue (beyond asthetics). The pole pieces are in pairs and as such create a magnetic field between them, the string being closer to one or other pole piece within the pair won't affect the sound so long as it is passing through the field the pair create.

If you think about it, when adjusting pick-up height to even out string to string volume on any pick-up with pole pieces laid out this way (think classic P-bass or J-bass), you might need to have the G string side of the pick-up closer to the string than on the E string side. On a J-bass pick-up this creates a slope down from the G string end to the E string end meaning that as you move across each pair of pole pieces from the G string end, the first in each pair is going to be closer to the string than the second.

Basically when talking about pairs of pole pieces, proximity to one or the other makes no difference. I'm sure someone more physics minded could explain it in a more technical manner.