Why become a member? ×

Recomend me some pickups

ali-stare

Hi Fella !!

My Vote for beefy tone is the Nordstrand PJ set-up !! I've got a set that I had in my modified Precision, recently put in a Sadowsky PJ plus Sadowsky pre...... that's great too but if it's meat & potatoes you're after go with the Nordy option

you can add an Aguilar OBP3 and that'll give you bone crushing tone !!

Stay away from EMG's if you want balls...... they cut through nice but are a little sterile in my opinion..... !!

I'm keeping my Nordy's to go in a Vic Wooten Yin Yang Fodera when I find one !!

That's Kill !!!

Marcus

[quote name='The Burpster' post='8980' date='May 30 2007, 08:28 AM']+1 for the SD's. I bought a Hohner B2b just to put my two 1/4lbers in. It rocks! (even though it has a tiddly neck!)[/quote]

What about something nice and overwound from the UK's very own [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/shop.asp?category=Bass"]Wizard Pickups[/url]?

[quote name='Marcus' post='8212' date='May 28 2007, 06:21 PM']My Vote for beefy tone is the Nordstrand PJ set-up !! I've got a set that I had in my modified Precision, recently put in a Sadowsky PJ plus Sadowsky pre...... that's great too but if it's meat & potatoes you're after go with the Nordy option
you can add an Aguilar OBP3 and that'll give you bone crushing tone !![/quote]

+1 for the Nordstrands. Put one in my Sterling and they're absolutely wonderful sounding pickups. Really classy, Carey Nordstrand really knows his stuff.

Alternatively, I'd also go for the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders, really full on sounding with a fairly hot output but lots of articulation which IMHO helps the bass cut through live.

I've recently swapped out the Aguilar OPB-1 in my Flea bass for an OPB-3 (only because I wanted the 3 band EQ). Again, fabulous preamp which seems to work well with a lot of pickups.

HTH

Tony

I've heard good reports about most of the above.... but I've been using Bartolini for the last 20 years and they are very, very good. They are supplied as standard or options on nearly all the top end basses. That says something about their tone.

[quote name='chris_b' post='7104' date='May 26 2007, 12:49 PM']Several years ago Bass Player magazine compared the pickups on a highly rated early 60's Jazz Bass which had spent it's whole life in a Nashville studio, pumping out hits, with Lindy Fralin JJ vintage replacemants. The Fralins won! If I was going vintage I would start by checking these out.[/quote]

Lindy Fralin do p/j set if you're after a vintage tone. By no means cheap though. I don't know how much pickups generally cost but these would cost about £160 to bring over to the UK - but that's a guess.

---

Question:

ARE p/j pickups special in anyway? Or can you throw any p-set with any jazz bridge pickup?

Cheers,

Paul.

Edited by paul, the