Why become a member? ×

Low down on the really low stuff

7string

Just back after going out to dinner and watching 45 minutes of shambolic 'football'. Worse than a pub team...

When I started this thread, I just wanted to get an idea of the reason why those tune down so low. I'm pleased to read that it's the music that drives this want to go ever downward. The music that I play doesn't require me to go lower than the B, so it's there I'll stay for now !!

The availability of strings continues to be a problem. I have trouble getting hold of 7 string sets, so I usually get a 6 string set and get a .26 At least guitar players can provide us with strings down to an 0.008

Of course, there is no right or wrong when it comes to tuning, I'm just glad that it's the music which is driving the boundaries. Nevertheless, any musician who is outside the norm gets some strange looks, especially us ERB-ers with our larger instruments and we'll continue to needlessly defend ourselves in many threads to come.

Edited by 7string

I'd rather not think of the expansion being determined by the music - it's the other way around, really... I understand that just doing it for the sake of looking different would be stupid, but personally I'm extending my musical boundaries one string at a time (and working on my technique and theory, of course), so eventually my imagination will be the limit!

Sorry if it sounded harsh - I was thinking out loud and in a rush between work and bitter disappointment watching the footy down the (empty) pub (but thats another subject :) )

It seems to me that all this higher/lower stuff is just trying to do something new or different cos everthing has been done before. Their Satanic Majesties invented death metal and no one has done it better (imho).

[quote name='7string' post='92445' date='Nov 21 2007, 11:17 PM']The availability of strings continues to be a problem. I have trouble getting hold of 7 string sets, so I usually get a 6 string set and get a .26 At least guitar players can provide us with strings down to an 0.008[/quote]
Overwater do them, and at a very reasonable price too. See [url="http://www.overwater.co.uk/bass_guitar_strings.htm"]here.[/url]

Wish I'd found that before I got a 5-string set plus an extra 2 top strings.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='92490' date='Nov 22 2007, 12:55 AM']Sorry if it sounded harsh - I was thinking out loud and in a rush between work and bitter disappointment watching the footy down the (empty) pub (but thats another subject :) )

It seems to me that all this higher/lower stuff is just trying to do something new or different cos everthing has been done before. Their Satanic Majesties invented death metal and no one has done it better (imho).[/quote]

It's alright chap, don' wurry. ;o)

Yeh, I agree with that.. Any boundary pushing is trying to do something new and different, cos, as you say, it has all been done before in one way or another. With a gazzilion and one bands out there all using essentially the same technologies, (Guitar,Bass Drums etc) something has to change to create those new sounds we all crave.

I don't play ERB (5 string doesn't count) but for my money why go higher - you're just getting into other instruments registers.

now a low F# that does appeal to me.

The unique thing about the bass is it's lower registry, no one wants bassists playing all widdly up high, IMO the lower the better.

[quote name='gilmour' post='92710' date='Nov 22 2007, 01:05 PM']I don't play ERB (5 string doesn't count) but for my money why go higher - you're just getting into other instruments registers.

The unique thing about the bass is it's lower registry, [b]no one wants bassists playing all widdly up high[/b], IMO the lower the better.[/quote]

Interesting points you make there Gilmour. I guess with respect to ERB, I would ask why a piano player has to play in the range of the guitarist? Maybe the horn section should lose the trombones? I feel sorry for the string section too.. they'd be out of a job ;o) ERB is just another wide range voice I think. In that respect, ERB can be considered a full range instrument, in the same way as a Piano could. You could then differentiate between 'normal bass' and 'ERB' in to sperate roles.. if you really wanted to..

As for the highlighted quote, thats a 'touch paper' I am gonna walk away from as you light it lol ;o) - only joshin ;o)